• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I have the standard A2 birdcage on my AR's and am thinking of changing them out. From my research it seems the Vortex if the best for flash hiding but not very good for compensating recoil and barrel rise. Has any one had any experience with these or any other suggestions?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Vortex is a GREAT flash hider, but does not offer any compensation (it was not designed for that). Also, I found the tuning fork "riiiiiing" on every shot to be a bit annoying.

I have been using the VLTOR VC-1 combination device on a couple of my guns for a few years now. While it's not as good in either respect as a dedicated device, it does a decent job of minimizing muzzle flash and reducing muzzle climb. AND, it is compatible with my Gemtech HALO suppressor, which is an important feature for me.

If you want a pure compensator, the BattleComp is hard to beat, but :spend:

Why are you wanting to change from the A2 birdcage? Which feature is more important to you, flash suppression or compensation?

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. Shooter I would like the best of both worlds so I the birdcage best for that? I'm in info gathering mode right now. :D

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Thanks for the replies. Shooter I would like the best of both worlds so I the birdcage best for that? I'm in info gathering mode right now. :D

No, the A2 really doesn't offer any compensation; the closed bottom was designed to reduce the dust signature when firing from prone. I would suggest the VLTOR VC-1 or one of the other combination devices on the market (PWS FSC-556, etc) for what you're wanting.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    My $.02

Flash Hider: Smith Vortex - Flash Eliminator, enough said.
    Muzzle Brake: OPS Inc - effectively reduces muzzle rise and flash and lessens the felt recoil.

...again, just my opinion.

ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I'm running a PWS Triad 556 on my SBR (11 inch). It replaced my Battlecomp as it was, as expected, doing nothing for the flash which, with the concussion, is a bit over the top with this build. The PWS really cut both down. Rapid fire isn't as flat as it was with the Battlecomp, but I don't have any real problem with follow-up shots. The PWS Triad 556 is also about half the cost of the Battlecomp.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I agree that the battlecomp is a good compensator. I am running a Battlecomp 2.0 on one of my ARs and a Spikes tactical dynacomp on another. However, I have a hard time telling the difference between the two.

I would be pressed to pay that amount again for a battlecomp when I can get the spikes tactical at half the price when I cant tell the difference between the two. Just My :twocents:.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Rainier Arms XTC

I'm running one on my AR.

I think it's almost too effective as a brake as it really pushes down hard. It can make shooting from a bench a bit annoying.

It does not suppress flash at all, but it does eliminate almost all the recoil and muzzle rise. Eliminates too much muzzle rise IMO...

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'm running one on my AR.

I think it's almost too effective as a brake as it really pushes down hard. It can make shooting from a bench a bit annoying.

It does not suppress flash at all, but it does eliminate almost all the recoil and muzzle rise. Eliminates too much muzzle rise IMO...

Well, the X is for eXtreme. I guess it is!

blurr95

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    No, the A2 really doesn't offer any compensation; the closed bottom was designed to reduce the dust signature when firing from prone. I would suggest the VLTOR VC-1 or one of the other combination devices on the market (PWS FSC-556, etc) for what you're wanting.

Would either of these work on a threaded bull barrel.

Jason

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    have a smith vortex compensator on my NM spec AR, works rather well.

on a whim used a Vietnam style 3 prong flash hider on my 16" carbine and it has a smaller flash (and seems to have a quieter report as well) then it did with the A2 hider.

Top Bottom