• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Bluffton
    How often do you put fresh batteries in your lights? I try to replace all of the batteries in the spring and fall, regardless if the light had been used. I have never had a problem of grabbing a light to find out it's dead. But, am I over doing it?

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Depends on the light....i've had the same batteries in my led surefire since...december of 2011 or so. That's with a lot of use through Afghanistan and its my car light now so i use it quite a bit.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'll do a "proactive reload" of the batteries in my EDC light about once every 2 months. The partial batteries are then used in other utility lights. For those I'll just replace the batteries when they die completely.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I'll do a "proactive reload" of the batteries in my EDC light about once every 2 months. The partial batteries are then used in other utility lights. For those I'll just replace the batteries when they die completely.

Ditto. I only replace batteries when they get low, fresh batteries should keep for a few years with little or no use. If you do drain them low or out make sure to change them - I've had had a few experiences with used batteries breaking and leaking.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Any severe weather change: Hot or freeze, check your Maglites. Found a couple with swollen D Cells, had to spray silicone and tap on hard surface(ground or concrete w/ end cap on. This has happened before with mine, with Duracell, and Everyready batteries. They did not split open, but hard to change. I suggest most batteries be :
    Unused till needed in package, or rotated quarterly, buy a battery tester and use it! A VOM meter will be handy and you can write the voltage read on the batteries with a Sharpie. I use them til way low on the volt scale. The 3.0 lithum ones drop off and become useless and are expensive to replace.(If you find an on line dealer, great savings). If you buy at a building store or a sporting goods store... Good luck.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If you're talking about flashlights and similar items, I'd check them quarterly. If you keep a portable gps in your preps, you'll be better off to not have batteries loaded until you need to use it; otherwise the device will drain your batteries - even the lithium ones - without being used. (Ask me how I know.)

jamin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Bluffton
    Ok thanks folks. I believe that I will continue changing the batteries in lights that I use frequently. And will allow spare lights to run their course with extra batteries in standby.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I have learned to keep a dab of anti-corrosion grease on the contact points in flashlights, doorbells, radios or anything that use batteries.
    They seem to quickly develope surface corrosion on those contact points and is the reason you sometimes have to jar or shake the item to get it to work.
    I had a battery operated, remote doorbell that never seemed to work untill I used anti-corrosion grease (or just plain grease) on the contact points of the batterys, now I don't have any problem at all.

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.flashlightnews.org/images2/HybridSolarLite.jpg

I have two of these (getting a third soon). My 1st one is still up and running. I leave them on the dashboard of my car for a whole day.

the label is misleading. It doesn't last 8hrs with a full charge. In the sun, 48hrs (2 days back to back) I got over 1hr 15min, but around 45-50min the light started dimming down.

I also have a rechargable flashlight that is really bright. I charge that once a month and it'll last around 4hrs, i cant remember the name though....

Also the hybrid flash light, doesn't use AA or AAA batteries. It uses a battery the watches use. I don't know what its called.....

:twocents:

Bucko

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Indy South
    I use Eneloop rechargeable batteries by Sanyo. They are made to hold approx. 80% of their charge when sitting for 3 years. I have them in all my electronics. Usually I will swap batteries out in my bug out bags once every 6 months.

My job requires that I use flashlights 2-3 hours a day, I've recharged the same batteries every day for the last couple years. I have roughly 100 of these batteries total, and I'm convinced they are great. They come in AA and AAA size with an adapter for C and D size (never used the adapter, so I can't speak of it).

Top Bottom