• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stony

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Pittsboro,IN
    I recently picked up a few lights, Fenix PD35 Tac, Nitecore SRT5 and SRT6. The Nitecore SRT6 is my Favorite of the 3 new ones I got, love the UI on them.

Nitecore makes a nice 2aa light. I have one and use it for work, very pleased with it (MT2A). Jet beam BA10 is a nice edc light as well.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Preon 2 is awesome.
    I have one.
    HOWEVER, the tailswitch is easily pushed and it WILL turn itself on if you carry it in, or clipped to, your pants pocket.
    I have run down more than a couple of sets of batteries that way.
    ON the plus side, AAA batteries are cheap and plentiful.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Preon 2 is awesome.
    I have one.
    HOWEVER, the tailswitch is easily pushed and it WILL turn itself on if you carry it in, or clipped to, your pants pocket.

I've found this to be an issue with most lights when you carry them in your pocket. I've even had lights that you have to twist to turn on do this.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Preon 2 is awesome.
    I have one.

This is one of the reasons I stopped carrying the Preon 2. Don't have that problem with my PD22UE

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    You guys need to stop wearing "Skinny Jeans". :):
    I wear bootcut Levi's. I usually wear one inch larger waist size over what my actual waist size is. I just move around a lot when I work. Up and down ladders a lot.

I I only wear my skinny jeans around 2 am every Saturday night. :naughty:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'd like an EDC that isn't too bulky to slip into jeans pockets. I love my Fenix PD35, but the length and diameter aren't the most comfy for pocket carry. Anything in the 150-200 lumen range that would work better?

PD22 would be shorter and has a little smaller diameter. There's also an ultimate edition with a higher output

Fenix PD22 Gen 2
    and
    Fenix PD22 Ultimate Edition

I wear a Fenix PD22 UE on the chain with my neck knife all the time and don't notice it until I need it. It's very bright for a small light with a CR123A, but if you use the rechargeable equivalent it gets super bright (510 lumens). The PD25 is a 0.2 inches longer, but also a bit brighter.

Eight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2014
    Central Indiana
    Wow. Just read through the thread and was surprised that Nitecore only made an appearance toward the very end. I am new to flashlights but bought a Nitecore EC21 at the last gun show and I love it. I love the red led option. I use it in the car and very handy for navigating around the bedroom while the wife is asleep. It has strobe, location and SOS modes with the white light and 3 modes for the red (signal, locator & voltage indicator). Only issue is not having a button on the but of the light, but I can locate the side buttons OK now with a little practice. Another nice feature is that one button activates the light in low mode and the other in turbo (460 lumens). There is also a lockout function so you don't activate it in your pocket. I think it's a great value.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    We dropped nitecore a year or so ago. They were having higher fail rates than what we liked to see and they didn't want to replace anything that did fail. So it was costing us a bunch of time and money keeping customers happy.

maybe they have things straightened out now, but I'd still be careful.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    We dropped nitecore a year or so ago. They were having higher fail rates than what we liked to see and they didn't want to replace anything that did fail. So it was costing us a bunch of time and money keeping customers happy.

That's my experience with Nitecore. I bought a Nitecore Tube for my keychain. It lasted 2 months before it failed. I emailed them 3 weeks ago for help with it and haven't gotten a response. Oh well, it was only $10.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I wear bootcut Levi's. I usually wear one inch larger waist size over what my actual waist size is. I just move around a lot when I work. Up and down ladders a lot.

I I only wear my skinny jeans around 2 am every Saturday night. :naughty:
    My Olight S10R is under 3" long, is rechargeable with an included stand, and includes the battery. I carry it all the time in my pants pocket.

Eight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2014
    Central Indiana

Thanks for the heads up. I've had mine a little under 2 months so I can't claim longevity, but I do carry it most every day. I will report back here if it fails in the next few months.

If you are familiar with Nitecore's features, are there any others you carry around that price range (give or take $15) that have similar features?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My experience with Nitecore is the same. I've had several fail and very few issues with Fenix.

Also, Nitecore lights are bright, but they don't always seem to be as bright as the advertised specs. By contrast, Fenix lights are sometime brighter than the claims (as per tests conducted by people on candlepowerforums).

Virtually everything Nitecore makes has a Fenix equivalent in the same price range, but with better performance and quality.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Preon 2 is awesome.
    I have one.

I love my Preon 2 and have the exact same problem. Super light for the $ though. However, even more frustrating for me has been catching the clip on everything and bending it!

stony

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Pittsboro,IN
    I've had very good luck with Nitecore but I would take a Fenix light over them. The biggest draw back for me about them is that most of the 18650 lights have to be button tops.

I think my next light will be a EagleTac D25 series light always wanted to give them a try.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom