• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Dross, if you have trouble ironing out that last 20%, and you find the rounds are more left than low, consider the position of your finger on the trigger. I have found that if I am shooting predominantly a lot of rifle, especially from a rest where I'm supporting little weight, that I use a finger position on the trigger that is closer to the tip somewhat because it affords a better feel for me on the squeeze. If I carry this (bad) habit over into unsupported shooting the shots are away left and the same is true if I catch myself doing this with a pistol. Might suggest firing the pistol from the bench and really zeroing it in and then try it standing at the same distance and pay attention to that trigger finger to see if you are changing the position based on the task

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Dross, if you have trouble ironing out that last 20%, and you find the rounds are more left than low, consider the position of your finger on the trigger. I have found that if I am shooting predominantly a lot of rifle, especially from a rest where I'm supporting little weight, that I use a finger position on the trigger that is closer to the tip somewhat because it affords a better feel for me on the squeeze. If I carry this (bad) habit over into unsupported shooting the shots are away left and the same is true if I catch myself doing this with a pistol. Might suggest firing the pistol from the bench and really zeroing it in and then try it standing at the same distance and pay attention to that trigger finger to see if you are changing the position based on the task

Great point. I'm a VERY experienced rifle shooter - been shooting rifles literally since I was about seven years old - but my handgun experience for all practical purposes is less than ten years. My finger naturally goes to the trigger on the pad like a rifle. I have to consciously take it to the first joint like you should for a pistol. On the other hand, when I dry fire, it doesn't seem to throw me off regardless of where I put my finger. I really think because I was unconscious of it that I have practiced and ingrained a flinch for years. Which is why I might struggle with it for some time. In another life I was a tennis teaching pro, and I have had to deal with students who have practiced a bad technique for years to the point where it's a part of their game. Unfortunately, it holds them back, as does my practiced flinching with a pistol. I shot an IDPA match a while back - not much into competition - and I was pretty accurate - but guess what, I consciously aimed to the right and high. That's how consistent my flinching has become. Now that I KNOW about it, I think I'll be able to move past it.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Great point. I'm a VERY experienced rifle shooter - been shooting rifles literally since I was about seven years old - but my handgun experience for all practical purposes is less than ten years. My finger naturally goes to the trigger on the pad like a rifle. I have to consciously take it to the first joint like you should for a pistol. On the other hand, when I dry fire, it doesn't seem to throw me off regardless of where I put my finger. I really think because I was unconscious of it that I have practiced and ingrained a flinch for years. Which is why I might struggle with it for some time. In another life I was a tennis teaching pro, and I have had to deal with students who have practiced a bad technique for years to the point where it's a part of their game. Unfortunately, it holds them back, as does my practiced flinching with a pistol. I shot an IDPA match a while back - not much into competition - and I was pretty accurate - but guess what, I consciously aimed to the right and high. That's how consistent my flinching has become. Now that I KNOW about it, I think I'll be able to move past it.

Be careful. Isn't that running around your backhand? (My bad habits in tennis are too numerous to go into) Seriously be wary of starting a new bad habit to compensate for an old one.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Be careful. Isn't that running around your backhand? (My bad habits in tennis are too numerous to go into) Seriously be wary of starting a new bad habit to compensate for an old one.

That was my point. I'm saying that I was compensating, now I'm trying to fix it. And BTW, nothing wrong at all with running around your backhand in a match. It's only bad in practice. :)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That was my point. I'm saying that I was compensating, now I'm trying to fix it. And BTW, nothing wrong at all with running around your backhand in a match. It's only bad in practice. :)

Thank you! That's good to know. Have had a week backhanda long time due to old injuries but used to get flack from other players. Haven't had any real coaching. Fixed the problem by adopting two-handed style on backhand.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    While it sounds stupid, talk to yourself while pulling the trigger, repeat squeeze squeeze squeeze, this will make you focus on what you are saying instead of focusing on the pull of the trigger (scare/bang).

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Update: Once I figured this out, I was able to make some improvements. I also had a 2 hour session with an instructor that I had scheduled a while ago but only just last week were we able to actually make happen. First, he told me that what I was doing isn't precisely "flinching" but recoil anticipation. I'm not sure I get the distinction but okay. In any event, I've gotten a lot of that worked out before I had the lesson.

He had me shoot some slow fire, some two-handed fire from my left hand (I'm right-handed) and had me fire one-handed, strong and weak sides. He had me speed up the tempo and placed the targets at different distances.

I've alway thought of myself as a average to below average pistol shot. He told me I'm better than 90% of the people who shoot handguns, that I should just practice, and that he'd take my money if I wanted more lessons, but I'd be wasting it. Just practice, he told me.

I haven't shot handguns with that many people - I'm more of a rifle shooter - and the one time I shot in a group was in the one IDPA match I shot. I was accurate, but slower than the folks who play regularly. I was surprised by the assessment, but it did give me a shot of confidence.

I went to the range today to test out a new purchase - a CZ 75B Shadow (which is my second and is ohsoverysweet) and I shot very well. So, I guess I was being a bit hard on myself, which is happy news, in a way.

Top Bottom