• ...and so much more!
  • norris14

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Carmel, IN
    So I'm in Florida for spring break and I happened to be staying close to a shop that had the shotgun I've been looking to buy. I went there today and we negotiated and I felt pretty good about the deal. Then I told him I was an out of state buyer and he pulled out this piece of paper that had states marked that they couldn't sell to, one being Indiana. He said the states marked had laws different than Florida. I thought you could buy a long gun out of state as long as you are a legal owner in your state. I showed him my carry license. I figured it was just a store policy. I'm here for 2 more days. Does anyone have any legal documentation that I could show them to change their mind? I know I'm probably out of luck, but I'm curious what others have to say.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I’ve bought long guns in Florida with my Indiana DL before, but it’s been years ago. I’m not up on the laws but I don’t know what the difference would be now. Good luck.

norris14

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Carmel, IN
    There is no option to purchase and have it shipped to an FFL here in Indiana?
    That's certainly an option but I'm right at the top of my budget and that's why I was excited to find this here because saving the shipping and transfer fee got it to the price I needed.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    See if they'd deal a little and basically throw in the shipping for free. Then add the $25(ish) for the transfer when you get back.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    So I'm in Florida for spring break and I happened to be staying close to a shop that had the shotgun I've been looking to buy. I went there today and we negotiated and I felt pretty good about the deal. Then I told him I was an out of state buyer and he pulled out this piece of paper that had states marked that they couldn't sell to, one being Indiana. He said the states marked had laws different than Florida. I thought you could buy a long gun out of state as long as you are a legal owner in your state. I showed him my carry license. I figured it was just a store policy. I'm here for 2 more days. Does anyone have any legal documentation that I could show them to change their mind? I know I'm probably out of luck, but I'm curious what others have to say.
    I ran into the same thing while down at a mission one time in Ga. A lot of dealers have outdated information from when IN used to have some sort of law about purchasing from contiguous states. That was changed around 2010 or even before someone else may know the specifics. At the time I took in a copy of the old law and the new updated changes and got the store to sell to me.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    There are a number of retailers that still won't ship magazines over 10 rounds to places like S. Bend because they used to be prohibited there but no longer are.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    What was this piece of paper, who published it?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK.....if you buy a gun outside the state you live in you have to have it shipped to an FFL and do the 4473 here. How is this confusing. It is the law. Period.
    Been discussed a zillion times in here.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    OK.....if you buy a gun outside the state you live in you have to have it shipped to an FFL and do the 4473 here. How is this confusing. It is the law. Period.
    Been discussed a zillion times in here.
    True for hand guns, not long guns. Many times I have purchased a long gun from an ffl and carried it home from another state. From an individual, it needs to be thru an ffl in your own state.

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    Sounds like a not updated or misinterpreted STATE law has led to the problem.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    For handguns across state lines it needs to go through an FFL. You can buy a long gun over state lines but the dealer has to follow the laws of the buyers state. We’ve sold a lot of long guns to Illinois residents but they have a 24 hour waiting period on them so they have to come back the next business day. There’s a lot of confusion on the laws and even FFLs get confused about them if they don’t deal with them frequently. Some just don’t want to deal with it and refuse to sell across state lines period. California is the absolute worst!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    evolevo
    Top Bottom