• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'm looking for a multimeter recommendation I don't measure high voltage but intend on using electronic, automobile, and house. 117? 175? 179? 87v?

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I would tend to say any of the more economical Flukes would do everything you need as a hobbyist./ home use. Like the 15b

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Depending on the level of electronics, the 87V could be over kill. Will this be board level troubleshooting? How many digits below the decimal do you want?

If you only really care about one decimal point, then consider a clamp meter that can run both AC/DC vs the standard clamps that only do AC. I'd suggest the 374 or 375.

If you really think you're gonna get deeper than one digit, consider the 175 or the 179. Both will probably do more than you need, but are more precise than the clamp meter option.

Another good way to get hands on before you buy is at Fry's on the NE side of Indy...

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I would tend to say any of the more economical Flukes would do everything you need as a hobbyist./ home use. Like the 15b

Depending on the level of electronics, the 87V could be over kill. Will this be board level troubleshooting? How many digits below the decimal do you want?

If you only really care about one decimal point, then consider a clamp meter that can run both AC/DC vs the standard clamps that only do AC. I'd suggest the 374 or 375.

If you really think you're gonna get deeper than one digit, consider the 175 or the 179. Both will probably do more than you need, but are more precise than the clamp meter option.

Another good way to get hands on before you buy is at Fry's on the NE side of Indy...

Truth be told, I had bought a fluke 116....decimal point is tolerable, but totally overlooked the lack of 10a+ current reading. I intend on sending it back.

The ability to measure temp is important to me.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I've been using the 87V for a long time and like it. I dont know price difference between the one's listed but if it's not much I'd go with the 87V.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Truth be told, I had bought a fluke 116....decimal point is tolerable, but totally overlooked the lack of 10a+ current reading. I intend on sending it back.

The ability to measure temp is important to me.

If I remember correctly, the 87 will do temperature. I would also like to recommend you read the information on this page. Most people disregard what class their meter is and It can result in an explosive mistake.

The real question is what will you ever want to use this meter on? I think the honest answer is that I can't say for sure. That being the case, a category IV meter is a good investment. Sure it's a bit of cash, but you what they say: Buy once, cry once.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    On amazon, an 87v is $404, the 179 is $315, and the 88v is $450.

What's difference between those three and is it worth the price difference?

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    If I remember correctly, the 87 will do temperature. I would also like to recommend you read the information on this page. Most people disregard what class their meter is and It can result in an explosive mistake.

The real question is what will you ever want to use this meter on? I think the honest answer is that I can't say for sure. That being the case, a category IV meter is a good investment. Sure it's a bit of cash, but you what they say: Buy once, cry once.

I doubt I'd ever measure 600 volts plus, so...

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    It's not about measured voltage, it's about what level of protection is on the circuit. The cheap category I meter is not to be used to measure 110 volts at your breaker panel, even though it may be rated at 600v.

Idk...I think the wife would strangle me if I spent $400+ on a multimeter. Sounds like I should go with the 179

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    If you want to have a 10amp AC/DC current setting and lifetime warranty, 179 (no microamps)
    If you want to keep the microamps setting, 87V

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I think I'm gonna get the 179, at this time I don't have the need for a microamp meter. Thanks guys!

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Ive carried the 87 for years and yes its a great multimeter but from your description of planned use its overkill - for home, auto and small jobs anything in the 320 series would be plenty - AC/DC volts & amps, ohms, amp clamp, thermocouple ready and true RMS - I have the 325 for the home and its overkill but I like it - the 87 is definately geared toward the industrial jobsite and external amp clamps and temp reading attachments are just more money you really dont need to spend in your situation:twocents:

edit - youre going to want a amp clamp, Id get it all in 1

Last edited:
    Top Bottom