• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    I've searched some the reasons to flute a bolt and so far what I've found is;
    1. reduce weight of bolt
    2. aid in heat dissipation by means of more surface area

Are there any other reasons to do this?
    By removing this material are you compromising the structural integrity of the part?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    The bolt isnt the part to worry about getting hot, there will never be enough heat there to need ANY help dissipating.

the reason you flute bolts is weight, and to give dirt/grime a place to go so it doesnt gum up an action. and possibly looks. thats it, and if anyone can come up w/ a reason other than those, they are probably blowing smoke.

As for your other question. No, if its done right then it will not compromise integrity or strength.

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    At what point would you recommend for a shooter to do this? My normal routine is once a week I hit the range and fire between 50-70 rounds in about two hours maybe three if I'm taking my time.

shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    I did my bolt mostly for looks, ways loved the look of the high helix and barrel flutes on bull barrels. Most guys have it done for weight.

e40b2e8c.jpg

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    At what point would you recommend for a shooter to do this? My normal routine is once a week I hit the range and fire between 50-70 rounds in about two hours maybe three if I'm taking my time.

Only time it will really prove any benefit, is when building a lightweight rifle, or when there is a chance you will be dragging your rifle through some nasty stuff and not have an opportunity to wipe it out before you need to fire a shot that has 100 percent importance of going off.

Now it doesnt cost hardly anything extra if you do it w/ a PTG bolt when doing a build from the ground up in the first place, but on a range gun? only do it if you want the looks.

Some say it helps w/ artic temps also, preventing as much metal to metal contact where moisture can freeze allowing you to break the bolt free w/ less force, but i call BS, put some oil on it and you dont have that problem anyways.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It just plain looks cool. It helped Lazzeroni sell a lot of really high priced, propietary caliber rifles. I always kind of liked it.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    At what point does a shooter do this?
    When he has the time and money to change something that doesn't need changed :)
    Simply a personalize/aesthetics thing.

It is simply a weight savings thing, as with any other part of an all out effort to reduce weight.

Chad Dixon's above fluting is less aggressive than others and thus takes less weight off the bolt. His on an SA 700 bolt cuts about 0.4 oz, on an LA 0.6. Something more aggressive like the Ti style fluting Karl Kampfeld and IT&D do gets about 0.8 and 1.0 respectively. Skeletonizing the bolt handle and knob gets another 0.3ish.

There is more bang for the buck out there, such as a PTG shroud, but an ounce is an ounce.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    And how many go all out on that weight savings stuff?

Trying to stay in some competition reg or make an ultralight mountain rifle yeah.

Most I've seen are just for looks, have big scopes, bipods and bulky slings on them.

That said, my Model 7 stainless with 3-9X compact and HS stock was pretty light.

But then I'd rather lose a few lbs off my midsection than shave a few ounces from my rifle.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    indy would know better than i but i believe one reason for fluting is in extreame cold it helps the action not to freeze. not a real concern around here but a reason none the less

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    How many people do anything really well? That there are more fans than players standing in the bolt fluting line sets it apart from most other gun related endeavors not at all. But despite that bolt fluting remains a no downside way to reduce weight.

As before, an ounce is an ounce regardless of where it comes off.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom