• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    if the issue isnt serious enough to throw hollow points at the enemy should one really be at war in the first place.....if we're making rules like this, why cant we just have paintball matches with the enemy and whoever wins the match wins the war, that would be an ideal alternative.....if the enemy isnt bad enough to throw whatever works best at them, why go to war in the first place?

im kind of just venting and thinking out loud

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    I've never understood the rationale of this either.

Of course it's okay to drop bombs and incinerate thousands of people, civilians included, because that's what happens in war.

Hollow points on the other hand, now that's just downright cruel.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    It's a bit complicated to explain, but we did not sign off on that version of the Hague Convention. We go along with it but are not bound to it.
    The rule only applies when fighting another signatory nation, as well.

So for most of the wars we're fighting today none of this applies. We could use any kind of ammunition we want.*

(*Hollow point ammunition etc, as I have no idea of the conditions for more exotic things.)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So, you think we don't use hollow points because of a treaty we never signed?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say we don't because .223 HPs wouldn't penetrate intermediate barriers very well. Urban combat, combat in heavy vegetation, combat with light vehicles, it all adds up to lots of cover. FMJ slides through that cover more easily than HPs.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

I'm going to go out on a limb and say we don't because .223 HPs wouldn't penetrate intermediate barriers very well. Urban combat, combat in heavy vegetation, combat with light vehicles, it all adds up to lots of cover. FMJ slides through that cover more easily than HPs.

That and the cost.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008

I believe that BehindBlueI's is correct. When I was on Active duty I asked about this and the answer was basically the same.

Top Bottom