Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    0701131133a_0001_zps25aa60dc.jpg

0723131042_0001_zps331cc3be.jpg

0627131148a_zps4bd4d61f.jpg

I'm well aware of all the 9s out there. I have 4. But even the smallest don't fit into the pocket the way a .380 does. That's why I said what I did in my original post. With all the posts so far, looks like the jury is still out. FMJ or HP for .380? Mixed just like I originally said.

Excuse me but I used to carry my PF9 in the back pocket of my jeans.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have a MK9, my wife carries a PF-9 from time to time. We both own, and carry, micro .380s. I use the LCP, she likes her S&W. Side by side, the .380s are both noticeably smaller than either of our compact 9s.

When we carry our .380s, we carry them loaded with XTPs, or the CD hornadys. I am in the camp that feels that the lighter bullet, and moderate velocity of the .380 will give marginal performance compared to the 9mm or 45. The xtp, in my experience, is a light opener, as compared to the other manufacturers hollow points, and as a result, tend to give deeper penetration. If the bullet can consistently get to 10", I dont expect much more. I know the professionals spec deeper penetration, but the professional is more likely to encounter a great deal more complicated shooting situations, where I look more for something that will let me break contact, and call the authorities.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have a MK9, my wife carries a PF-9 from time to time. We both own, and carry, micro .380s. I use the LCP, she likes her S&W. Side by side, the .380s are both noticeably smaller than either of our compact 9s.

When we carry our .380s, we carry them loaded with XTPs, or the CD hornadys. I am in the camp that feels that the lighter bullet, and moderate velocity of the .380 will give marginal performance compared to the 9mm or 45. The xtp, in my experience, is a light opener, as compared to the other manufacturers hollow points, and as a result, tend to give deeper penetration. If the bullet can consistently get to 10", I dont expect much more. I know the professionals spec deeper penetration, but the professional is more likely to encounter a great deal more complicated shooting situations, where I look more for something that will let me break contact, and call the authorities.

Thank you. Nice post. Laying out on a table they look similar in size...but in the pocket, you can definately tell the size difference.
    2013-05-06_13-11-15_878_zps0b10cdd2.jpg

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I can put anything in my pocket... some things are just a little more comfortable. Like a .380. Maybe one day I will find the perfect round for it.
    1370209843_zpsc85ad7c6.jpg

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    It was not my intention to imply ignorance on your part. If it sounded that way I apologise. But with the wide array of quality HP ammo available today I just don't see the point. If it were me I would try to find a quality modern JHP like, Hornady Critical Defense, that will expand and penetrate well enough to do the job.
    Sorry. For some reason I'm touchy about this topic.:dunno: The ignorant thing came from the other thread. My point is...with the .380 everyone has their opinion, and I have not decided which side I'm on yet. Right now I typically carry 4 Hornady Critical Defense rounds and 3 FMJ alternating, until I can make the decision which way to go. Even BBI could not say one way or the other...and most at INGO seem to believe he knows what he is talking about. Soooooo...I'm still not sure, but don't see anything wrong with what I'm doing. I need to run my own tests I guess....

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Right now, I have Win Ranger T-Series in the pistol and Hornady Zombie in the spare mag.
    Also have Hornady Critical Defense and Rem Golden Sabers.
    For summer carry, I am satisfied with them.
    Carried FMJ many moons ago (like early 1990s) in my Colt Government 380 along with Win Silvertips and felt comfortable then.
    I think ammo has progressed greatly since those days and I feel pretty confident with what I carry now.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I've read many threads (here and other forums) on HP vs FMJ and the great expansion vs penetration debate goes on forever. I've not read about how lack of penetration has resulted in the bad guy continuing the attack. If I go by some of these threads it would seem that HP ammo bounces off the BG's chest like Superman. It seems that shot placement and reliability more important than penetration and expansion.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    This has been a topic of discussion for a very long time. It seems to go 50/50. For a 9mm or anything else larger it makes perfect sense to carry a good quality HP for SD. But the argument goes on as far as the .380 goes. The HP doesn't have enough penetration and the FMJ doesn't cause enough damage. Blah blah blah. For this reason, I stack my mags alternating HP and FMJ. I guess because I can't get enough people to agree which is best. If I could get 80% stating one way or the other, I would stop my ignorant practice of stacking my .380 mags. I normally carry something larger, but don't plan on getting rid of my .380s. So hope to hear what ingo thinks as far as the best way to carry the .380.

FMJ.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I think if you are going to carry HPs in a .380, it has to be pretty hot ammo or the HPs tend to not expand. Others also seem to worry about HPs plugging, but all of my research shows that plugging will result in HPs behaving as FMJs (and penetrating accordingly).

I carry very hot 102 gr. Golden Saber home loads in my P3AT. I did some informal ballistics tests and the penetration was more than adequate for me. I carry 90 grain FMJs in my backup mag just in case...so when in doubt, just carry both ;)

I personally don't like candy-caning FMJs and HPs in the same mag, because the felt recoil would be different for after each shot. For me, it is hard to adjust myself to consistently changing recoil.

Top Bottom