• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    I've carried the FN in the service and I sell black rifles now for a living. But, my opinion is still just my opinion.

For your first black rifle - Buy one on Black Friday. You'll be able to get one from Palmetto State (or similar) for under $500. Since all black rifles are "pretty much the same" now, just get one that's cheap. You'll be able to figure out what you like and don't like and you can church it up as much or as little as you want. Before you go spending big money on "what Delta Force is running" just buy a cheap one. Chances are good if this is your first one you won't really know the difference between the $500 and $1500 models anyway. Buy the cheap one, practice a bit with it, get comfortable with the AR platform, and then Lego the b!tch up.

jmpupillo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    NWI
    I have the FN 15 Carbine and it is a pretty good rifle.

It is well made, plenty combat accurate, and reliable. The only complaint I had is that I had to tighten up the buffer tube, because it came loose after a few hundred rounds.

Not too expensive either. I believe I picked it up at the local fun shop for $900 out the door.

98cirrus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Goshen
    If you shop hard for the best buy on a Colt, then you will always have buyers for it. It will hold it's value as long as you keep it close to pristine.

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    I've carried the FN in the service and I sell black rifles now for a living. But, my opinion is still just my opinion.

For your first black rifle - Buy one on Black Friday. You'll be able to get one from Palmetto State (or similar) for under $500. Since all black rifles are "pretty much the same" now, just get one that's cheap. You'll be able to figure out what you like and don't like and you can church it up as much or as little as you want. Before you go spending big money on "what Delta Force is running" just buy a cheap one. Chances are good if this is your first one you won't really know the difference between the $500 and $1500 models anyway. Buy the cheap one, practice a bit with it, get comfortable with the AR platform, and then Lego the b!tch up.

"church it up," "Lego the biach." Never heard those before.
    After pushing "post," I realized I should have not mentioned it will be my first black rifle, because I'm wanting opinions on the FN M4 only. Heck, my first long gun, was/is a M1A Scout. I'm looking for value, not cheap. (No Colt or clinton&Wesson)

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    "church it up," "Lego the biach." Never heard those before.
    After pushing "post," I realized I should have not mentioned it will be my first black rifle, because I'm wanting opinions on the FN M4 only. Heck, my first long gun, was/is a M1A Scout. I'm looking for value, not cheap. (No Colt or clinton&Wesson)

I don't own and have not owned an FN, nothing against them, just have not owned one. I suspect they make a very good rifle.
    I would also look at Bravo Company and Daniel Defense as well.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Kinda why I'm asking. Are they what they appear or is it just marketing?

They are not allowed to build any civilian rifles to the TDP. Colt still owns the TDP and FN still has to pay a royalty for every M4/M16 they produce for the gov. When FN makes the civilian versions, they are produced in the different part of the factory.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I had an FN M16- A4 in basic. It was very abused, so I won't base my opinion of FN on that old warhorse. FN also makes our M240's and M249's. They are excellent pieces of equipment. I have seen unspeakable things done to M249 barrels, and they just keep going. There is a member here on INGO that I personally saw get his barrel so hot I could see a bright glow from it in my night vision. FN uses 249 barrel steel and chrome thickness on their civilian AR-15 barrels, which they have been selling through private label to some big names in the black rifle game, such as Spikes IIRC, for quite some time.

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I saw a standard 'M4' FN at the last 1500 at ZX, it looked good, i'm sure it'd be a fine shooter. I've been looking at the Tactical version but so far haven't found one to look at.

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    I had an FN M16- A4 in basic. It was very abused, so I won't bad my opinion of FN on that old warhorse. FN also makes our M240's and M249's. They are excellent pieces of equipment. I have seen unspeakable things done to M249 barrels, and they just keep going. There is a member here on INGO that I personally saw get his barrel so hot I could see a bright glow from it in my night vision. FN uses 249 barrel steel and chrome thickness on their civilian AR-15 barrels, which they have been selling through private label to some big names in the black rifle game, such as Spikes IIRC, for quite some time.

TY. This is the kind of feedback I am needing. Heard the same thing (glowing) about the
    249 barrel.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    FN makes great weapons, that's a known fact. Their name seems to get lost in the woods though because there are many great AR-15 manufactures now. I know FN supplies a lot of parts/barrels to Palmetto State Armory (PSA), and I've shot a lot of PSA's over the years. The one in particular that I've beat on the most has an FN barrel and it's the rifle I trust in my truck if that tells you anything. You shouldn't be nervous about buying an FN rifle, period. Personally, I'm waiting for the price of their civilian 249 to get within reason and I'll buy one just to see the anger and hate in my democrat cousins eyes when I pull it out of the safe.

Top Bottom