• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gundog60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    South of Indy
    I do not know the rifle well enough to assess if it is feed related, extraction related, or possibly a combination of the two. Has any owner of this model of rifle ever experienced this and if Yes How did you rectify it? Any recommendations for a gunsmith-if that is what will be required. The ammunition I was shooting was a mixture of PRVI Partisan and military surplus-Yugoslavian I believe. Any and all help, advice, remedies, solutions, etc., etc. will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    It may just be the nature of the beast. I once owned an HK 93, and fired HK 91's, they dented brass, it was just the nature of the beast. Not only did they "tear up" the brass, they threw it a 1/2 mile.
    Not sure if the FN has a similar bolt system as the HK 90 series of rifles, but I would bet it's close.

gundog60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    South of Indy
    I was hoping to reload the PRVI Partisan using COTW data but those dents are never coming out. Guess I'll save reloading 8mm for the Yugo Mauser type rifle and just keep blasting surplus through the FN. Do you think it could be too strong of a follower spring jamming the rounds into the bottom of the bolt?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    They are probably hitting the charging handle / frame on the way out. Like an M1and M1A.
    Do a search on the net, someone probably makes some sort of buffer, rubber tube on charge handle kinda thing.
    The dents in the neck should size out, the ones in the body,if not to bad, will come out when you shoot the round.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    First off, which caliber is your FN49 in? There are 8mm,30-06, 7.63 argentine, and even 7mm

going to assume 8mm. But it should not matter. Most semi auto are tough on brass.

the problem with 8mm semi autos is that the vast majority of the rifles chambered in 8mm are bolt guns.

Because of that, there can be a great variable in pressures and energy running the semi auto mech as there is a large variation in 8mm ammo made, and not all of it was made to nearly the same specs. So you may have an action being run hard.

Last edited:

gundog60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    South of Indy
    It is indeed chambered in 8mm and your response makes the most sense of anything I have read to this point. Thanks for the input and information.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Is the gas system adjustable on the FN49? That would be a good way to see if the ammo is running a bit hot for your firearm.

Top Bottom