• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolverine6G

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    Hey guys Right now I have 2 M&P shield pistols. So im set for the CCW I was thinking I would like something with more capacity than 7-8 rounds and an easy shooter for my wife. For home defense only. My wife is not a shooter and honestly has no intention to be, but she will be taking a gun safety class this summer and possibly going to the range with me. So mag changes and topping off will be difficult for her. She has come along way and if I push her to hard on the subject she will lose interest and not do it all. So i need something to have in the bedside safe for her to access that she can "turn key" and its ready to go if need be.

I stopped into a LGS yesterday, I was mainly looking for a S&W M&P 9 full size. Until the associate showed me the FNS9. I really like the feel of it and the fact that it has 17 round magazine and it comes with 3 of them. Anyone have any thoughts on this pistol or can someone recommend me another option. I have thought about Smith and Wesson, Ruger and FN. Not interested in Glocks. Also something with an ambi external thumb safety. Looking to stay in the $500 range

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If she'll accompany you at all, let her pick it out.
    You'll accomplish two things:
    1) you'll know it's a good fit to HER hand if she holds it herself
    2) If SHE chooses it, she'll have a more vested interest in it (and shooting) over all...which would more than likely translate into *wanting* to go to the range vs being dragged along.

As for the FS9, with the cant of the grip being what it is, and the availability of the flat backstrap that comes with it...it's as ergonomically close to the 1911 but in a double-stack platform that I've felt. IF I go plastic, that's on my short list.
    As far as their customer service, meh... having used my own smith and also sending things back for tweaking or repair, I've come to terms with the fact that I like to keep my stuff local and pay a few bucks to have face to face conversations with whomever is doing stuff to them. YMMV

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    2) If SHE chooses it, she'll have a more vested interest in it (and shooting) over all...which would more than likely translate into *wanting* to go to the range vs being dragged along.

This +1!!

Wolverine6G

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012

As for the FS9, with the cant of the grip being what it is, and the availability of the flat backstrap that comes with it...it's as ergonomically close to the 1911 but in a double-stack platform that I've felt. IF I go plastic, that's on my short list.
    As far as their customer service, meh... having used my own smith and also sending things back for tweaking or repair, I've come to terms with the fact that I like to keep my stuff local and pay a few bucks to have face to face conversations with whomever is doing stuff to them. YMMV

I would love to take her to the Gun shop. however she is not one to go with me. Plus she thinks I have to many guns. And the reasoning that they are different tools for different jobs she doesn't get. So getting her to go to a store let alone buy something is prob out of the question. However it is great advice.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    FNX9

Similar type issues with my wife. She ended up with an FNX9. Although she is petite and it looks like a big gun it fits her hand well. Since she will not be getting tons of range time the large magazine is a plus. The ambidextrious safety was a nice feature as she is a lefty and wanted a safety on the gun.

It is a pleasure to shoot and reasonably accurate for both of us so that makes it a bit easier to get her to the range from time to time. Her first shot ever with a handgun using the FNX9 was a bullseye which made her happy.

Yes, ideally she picks the gun, gets lots of training and spends weekends at the range. Reality is teach her how to be safe and give her a tool to defend herself with at home.

jtbriles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Outside the box
    I had an FNX 40 for a short time. I really enjoyed shooting it. Fully ambi and the four adjustable backstraps make it very versitile. Never had to deal with there CS. I only took it to the range once before I ran into an offer I couldn't refuse. Now I'm may have to pick up an FNX 45 tactical.

Wolverine6G

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    Those that have said they had bad customer service experience. What happened to your pistol that you needed to send it back?

ozzie839

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2013
    Columbus
    FNX-40 owner here, FNH has one of the smoothest shooting pistols out there in the polymer style IMO. I too have read customer support horror stories but I have not had to deal with them at all. FNH makes a fien product in the FNS & FNX lines, I will be adding a FNX9 and 45 tac. to my collection eventually to complete "the family"

a big selling point is the included 3 magazines, i personally am not a huge fan of DAO striker fired pistols so that is why i went with the FNX line

the adjustable back straps should make it a very nice fit to your lady's hands

my wife however though the grips felt to rough, some guys have taken a fine sand paper and lightly sanded those down for a more comfortable feel

in the end, a fine pistol for the money that anyone can feel comfortable shooting

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My issue is with their non support of their products. I have an FNP, and I was having an issue with my mags. I called the parts department asking if I could get new mag springs, as I thought that was the issue. They told me they had no springs. Later I found out that it was the mag followers, as they were re-designed at some point. I called and asked for some of the re-designed followers. They told me they had none. Basically, once they released the FNX, they dropped all support for the FNP. Unless it has to be sent in for repair. It's sad when I can not get mag parts. You can make a great product, but you need to support it. I will never buy another product from FNH.

Top Bottom