• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    I know both are quality guns and thinking of picking one up. The FNX gets really good reviews but is quite a bit less than the H&K. Just wondered if the trigger and handling actually compares to the H&K 45? Thanks, Barry

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I have shot both, due to the recoil spring design of the HK45, the felt recoil is a lot less compared to other 45's. I like the trigger on the HK very much. Only downside in my opinion is the 10 shot magazine versus FN's 15 round magazine. If I was just going to use it as a range gun I would get the HK.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I wasn't terribly impressed with the H&K trigger. I know it's expensive, but frankly it feels about the same as the significantly cheaper CZ to me. A little bit of grittiness, heavy, but breaks clean. The new striker fired H&K feels really good, though.

I've shot the FNX and found it to be...forgettable. It was ok, but not really special in any given area. The grip texture didn't really do it for me, but it was easy to shoot, reasonable trigger, reasonable sights, etc. There's nothing WRONG with it, it just wasn't for me.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I know both are quality guns and thinking of picking one up. The FNX gets really good reviews but is quite a bit less than the H&K. Just wondered if the trigger and handling actually compares to the H&K 45? Thanks, Barry

I checked them both out and ended up with the HK 45t. The FN has better features on paper, but the Hk was the better firearm to me for what I wanted. If I were buying to potentially carry and for shootability, I'd get the HK, but if it were strictly for HD or carbine classes or something, I think I'd trade my Hk for the FN. I still second guess my decision at times, because I gave up carrying mine and went to a p30 instead.

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    I have the FNX and it is very "forgettable" as said before, it's just a gun that works. Mine has 30K rounds, (30,124 to be exact) and has gone 4500 to 5K at a time without cleaning or lube, but it is a very big and heavy weapon, the textureing is very aggressive and makes it suck as a CCW, (I carry IWB at 4 oclock). The trigger takes about 1K rds to become silky smooth. The slide is heavy and it seems to prefer a hotter load, and HATES wadcutter rounds.
    I have the H&K 45 it is also very reliable and unremarkable, but is more comfortable to handle, shoot and carry due to its much less aggressive texture and smaller magazines. The trigger is nice but after about 6K rds its not as nice as the FNX. It seems to run well on anything we feed it. It likes to be clean and shiny and will complain after 5 or 600 rds if not lubed.
    I bought the HK based on reputation and a good price but as you may notice from the round counts the FNX is clearly the favorite to shoot.
    The HK lives in the safe, the FN is on my nightstand or always within reach.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I have the FNX and it is very "forgettable" as said before, it's just a gun that works. Mine has 30K rounds, (30,124 to be exact) and has gone 4500 to 5K at a time without cleaning or lube, but it is a very big and heavy weapon, the textureing is very aggressive and makes it suck as a CCW, (I carry IWB at 4 oclock). The trigger takes about 1K rds to become silky smooth. The slide is heavy and it seems to prefer a hotter load, and HATES wadcutter rounds.
    I have the H&K 45 it is also very reliable and unremarkable, but is more comfortable to handle, shoot and carry due to its much less aggressive texture and smaller magazines. The trigger is nice but after about 6K rds its not as nice as the FNX. It seems to run well on anything we feed it. It likes to be clean and shiny and will complain after 5 or 600 rds if not lubed.
    I bought the HK based on reputation and a good price but as you may notice from the round counts the FNX is clearly the favorite to shoot.
    Any trigger time on the mk 23? I used to chuckle thinking they were just a monstrous overpriced joke, but I guess they are awesome shooters..?

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Any trigger time on the mk 23? I used to chuckle thinking they were just a monstrous overpriced joke, but I guess they are awesome shooters..?
    I would love the chance to shoot a mk 23. They do get a lot of verbal abuse but I'm sure they are nice weapons.

This is good advice. Tough call. Both are very nice .45s. I own the FNX-45 tactical. I own a USP bot not the newer HK 45.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I would love the chance to shoot a mk 23. They do get a lot of verbal abuse but I'm sure they are nice weapons.

This is good advice. Tough call. Both are very nice .45s. I own the FNX-45 tactical. I own a USP bot not the newer HK 45.

It's not immediately obvious, but the reason I brought it up is that it's capacity goes up to 12+1, it's polymer, it's bigger, but it might not be that much bigger in the grip than the FNX..? Prices seem to be coming down on them and from what I have read since my post asking that question, they are very accurate, reliable, longer sight radius, etc. Seems like lot's of match grade components and a higher level of workmanship than other HK pistols? For that kind of money, I think Id rather have a nice 1911, but it seems a case could be made for the mk 23 when you are talking hk 45 and fnx 45, as long as you weren't intending to carry. I seriously doubt your intent was concealed carry anyway if you were looking at the FN. Not saying impossible, just really tough.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    ^^^^ Ding ding ding ding. Don't have the 45 (yet) but have FNP in both 9 and 40 and seriously enjoy shooting both. Handle well and accurate for me. YMMV

InRon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    I found a good deal on the FNX and then added a threaded barrel. I like it very much but always wanted an HK. Last year I found a good deal on the HK45T. I like it very much as well. But at the end of the day if I had to keep one it would be the FNX. I am a little more accurate with the FNX (might be simply that I have put more rounds through it) even though the HK does feel "smoother". The HK is more comfortable to hold but the texture on the FNX does not bother me nor does the slightly higher recoil. 15-rounds vs 10 is a big difference - though at the range the 10-round mags keep me from going through ammo too fast ;) Both are great pistols can't go wrong with either.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Unfamiliar with the FNX, but the FNP-45 (IIRC, that's the precursor to the FNX) shoots well, and the 14+1 (or 15+1 with extended mag) shoots very well, stays on target, and has very low recoil.

Unfamiliar with the HK .45, though have done a lot of shooting of the VP70 and P30. Enjoyed both, though the trigger pull of the VP70 was too long for personal tastes.

Also like the ability to slam the slide home as the magazine slams in with both guns. Saves (a bit of) time changing magazines rather than needing to rack the slide from slide lock.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    It's a mistake to assume the H&K trigger is better than anything... Its not BAD, but its hardly what one would call outstanding. Thats true of both the USP 45 and the HK45.

I have a friend who is an absolute H&K nut. I have Trigger time on USP 45, the P30, an SL8 target rifle with a G36 conversion, and a USC carbine with a UMP conversion. After a few years of shooting multiple H&K products on and off, it is my informed first hand opinion that H&K makes very good reliable products that are not particularly ground breaking or special in any particular area. It is also my informed first hand opinion that while you can't go wrong with an H&K, the cost of ownership does not live up to the hype or the mythos of 'legendary operator' status.

FreeFAL

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Mags on the FN don't drop free reliably is my biggest gripe. Grip is way less comfortable. Slightly more recoil. Fewer sight options. Less aftermarket support.

HK has less capacity, little more expensive mags. Upgrades available give it the best trigger this side of a 1911--Bruce Gray. Probably more robust.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I have the HK 45. I really like it, but I find follow up shots to be difficult to get back on target. In single action the trigger break is pretty damn nice, reset is a bit long, but also very distinct and detectable. It certainly doesn't settle back down like my 1911 does, but it's also a lot lighter, has night sights, never needs cleaned, reliable beyond reliable, has a rail and a surefire on it, can leave the mags loaded forever, etc. Maybe my only other complaint is that the safety/decock is not ambi. I feel like HK might release a VP45 in the future......?? which would certainly have a chance to replace my HK 45. If that goes down.... I hope they reuse the HK45 mags like they did for the P30/VP9.

Haven't we done this thread a few times already this year?

Napalmx9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Bluffton
    Mags on the FN don't drop free reliably is my biggest gripe. Grip is way less comfortable. Slightly more recoil. Fewer sight options. Less aftermarket support.

HK has less capacity, little more expensive mags. Upgrades available give it the best trigger this side of a 1911--Bruce Gray. Probably more robust.

For the FNX try pressing in the magazine release (the mag should than pop out a little) than depress the release, the mag should just drop out even unloaded, my guess is while pressed there is pressure still on the magazine, I have saw a few forum post of people shaving a bit off the mag release so the mags will just drop free. But yes the mag release for the FNX is still hard to actuate.

I have both a USP .45 and an FNX .45 Tactical, I think the USP feels better in my hands, the FNX feels thicker and I don't like the texture as much as the USP and the magazine release for the USP is a lot better than the FNX, however the FNX holds 3 more rounds than the USP and already has a threaded barrel, raised sights, and optic slot milled out (at least the tactical model does). So if I'm going to suppress anything its going to be the FNX mostly because if I added an IR laser to the FNX while using some head mounted NVG's it would be a fun hog killer. Also to note is that the FNX has a regular rail section while the USP does not and you need to buy an adapter for normal lights/lasers.

Top Bottom