• ...and so much more!
  • speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I recently purchased a FNX45. I am having issues with shell casing ejection. About every 2-3 shells gets jammed and is not ejected from the gun properly. I read a few notes about letting the gun wear in a bit and the slide movement will improve. Is this issue common? Any thoughts on corrective action or about how many rounds are required to "wear in".

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Without seeing the gun it 's impossible to say for sure, but ammo that is poorly made and is way out of spec is one possibility - so try some other brands. Generally speaking when a semi auto has a feed, extraction or ejection problem - shooting it more is NOT going to solve the problem. That is a lame sorry excuse that Kimber started and amazingly people bought into it. If the gun keeps on choking with various brands of ammo - it needs to see a gunsmith or the manufacturer. If it is under warranty and it chokes on anything you feed it - it is defective. "Breaking it in" more is just a waste of ammo and your money and time. While the moving parts in a gun do "break in" very slightly and seat against each other - if the gun does not feed fire and eject straight out of the box with quality ammo - it is defective and telling customers that it needs more "breaking in" is a total line of crap.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Without seeing the gun it 's impossible to say for sure, but ammo that is poorly made and is way out of spec is one possibility - so try some other brands. Generally speaking when a semi auto has a feed, extraction or ejection problem - shooting it more is NOT going to solve the problem. That is a lame sorry excuse that Kimber started and amazingly people bought into it. If the gun keeps on choking with various brands of ammo - it needs to see a gunsmith or the manufacturer. If it is under warranty and it chokes on anything you feed it - it is defective. "Breaking it in" more is just a waste of ammo and your money and time. While the moving parts in a gun do "break in" very slightly and seat against each other - if the gun does not feed fire and eject straight out of the box with quality ammo - it is defective and telling customers that it needs more "breaking in" is a total line of crap.

Well said.
    Either ammo, or pistol.
    Try different ammo. If problem goes away, it was the ammo.
    If the problem persists, it MIGHT be the pistol... still might be the ammo.

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    Did you clean it when new? I've heard some were shipped with gummy protectant.

If its WWB ammo it may be the ammo, I've had some that wouldn't cycle my XDm although my FNX ate it.

I'd have to say ammo, the only thing mine hasn't liked out of appr. 30K rds. was my attempt to be super cheap and loaded 230LRN with 2.5 grains of Titegroup.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis

If its WWB ammo it may be the ammo, I've had some that wouldn't cycle my XDm although my FNX ate it.

I'd have to say ammo, the only thing mine hasn't liked out of appr. 30K rds. was my attempt to be super cheap and loaded 230LRN with 2.5 grains of Titegroup.

How long did it take you to pull the bullets?

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    i have the fnx45 and the tactical. i locked the slide back for a week and loaded the mags and also let them sit a week. i have had no issues. you might try that. so far it has eaten anything i throw at it.
    there is also the fn forum FN Forum / FN Gun Forums lots of info , not as much as here on into of course

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Thanks for the responses. A couple answers below:

I did not clean it before shooting. It did not appear to have any heavy grease (or any visible grease). Ill take a closer look.

How long did it take you to pull the bullets?

The bullets were nut stuck in the chamber they were almost ejected but not completely.

It was Winchester ammunition. This was all I had at the range that day. Ill try another brand.

I wasnt 'limp wristing' it... My Kimber was shooting 100%

Thanks again for all the feedback.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Winchester Ammo is notorious for having out of spec case's, and not loaded properly (too light) with powder. Plus it is FILTHY stuff.
    Winchester should be ashamed of themselves for putting out such crap.

It may just be me, but every new gun gets a good cleaning, going over and lube job before it goes to the range.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Mine has eaten everything put through it (no steel as I don't use it in my weapons) since day 1. However, when my wife shoots it, the shell casings do not eject. She is no longer allowed to shoot that pistol :). If you are sure you aren't limp-wristing it, I would talk to FN.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Clean thoroughly> inspect extractor and ejector>lubricate properly. If the problem persists, try different ammo. Regular and +P loads.

Top Bottom