• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Folders: do you prefer a large knife or a small knife?

I have been EDCing a spyderco manix 2 or a paramilitary 2 for a long time now. Both are large knives. But my first knife was a spyderco delica. I had given it to my lil brother a couple years when I bought the paramilitary 2.

I was able to hold the delica again over the weekend, and was surprised how much I liked it again. I liked the smaller size so much that I have considered buying one to carry full time.

I feel like I was able to slice things better because of that smaller size...

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Small knives definitely have their advantages in some cutting chores, typically they have thinner blades and edges.

I've resorted to carrying three knives, smallish fixed blade, large folder, and a small multi blade slip joint. I don't think I could do without any of them now, :):

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I own knives in all sizes, but what I call medium size knives, like a Strider SNG or a Spyderco Paramilitary, usually get the most carry time. If I think I need something bigger, I usually go with a fixed blade.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I own knives in all sizes, but what I call medium size knives, like a Strider SNG or a Spyderco Paramilitary, usually get the most carry time. If I think I need something bigger, I usually go with a fixed blade.

So that means you want to sell me your Dua or a big ars Medford for cheap right?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    So that means you want to sell me your Dua or a big ars Medford for cheap right?

I think you mean the Satu (10" open...the one I showed at the 1500 last year). The Dua is a medium sized knife. I'll sell you a Medford, but it won't be cheap.....as you know they are bringing anywhere from a $100 to $200 over the normal price (for the popular models) on the secondary market........people are willing to pay that for the instant gratification instead of having to wait 35 weeks to get one.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I don't have any huge knifes. The biggest is the Manix 2.
    You've got to have variety> I have a Sypderco Native that I like when I have to wear slacks.
    I even have a little Gerber thing that looks like a money clip that houses a razor blade that I like at times.
    My work horse is the Benchmade 300SN, but it's a little bulky.
    Now I'm eyeballing the ZT 350 blackwash version, just because I have wanted one and that blackwash look appeals to me.

The worst thing is to be out and about and discover you have no blade. When I was in highschool my buddy and I would punch the other if they forgot a blade. It's no fun to punch yourself.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I carry a couple different folders one is a benchmade 800 with roughly a 3.8" blade or a kershaw blur with a 3.2" blade. Used to carry a Buck 110 on my belt. It depends where I am going and how I am
    dressed as to which knife is in my pocket.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I think you mean the Satu (10" open...the one I showed at the 1500 last year). The Dua is a medium sized knife. I'll sell you a Medford, but it won't be cheap.....as you know they are bringing anywhere from a $100 to $200 over the normal price (for the popular models) on the secondary market........people are willing to pay that for the instant gratification instead of having to wait 35 weeks to get one.

I remembered the Satu, was wishful thinking and figured you'd have a Dua now as well

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Whatever you carry, keep this in mind:

[video=youtube;_vW54lAtldI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vW54lAtldI[/video]

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Folders: do you prefer a large knife or a small knife?

I have been EDCing a spyderco manix 2 or a paramilitary 2 for a long time now. Both are large knives. But my first knife was a spyderco delica. I had given it to my lil brother a couple years when I bought the paramilitary 2.

I was able to hold the delica again over the weekend, and was surprised how much I liked it again. I liked the smaller size so much that I have considered buying one to carry full time.

I feel like I was able to slice things better because of that smaller size...

Dude, dude, dude. First, those are medium size at best. The Manix 2 XL is barely a large knife, and it dwarfs the Manix 2. The same for the Military vs. Para Military.

Slicing is more a function of blade thickness behind the edge than it is the overall size of the knife. Some small knives have grossly thick blades and can't slice worth a crap. Some bigger knives have a thinner edge (the best example is the old Cold Steel Large TwistMaster).

Must ... have ... Satu ... with ... Scandi edge . . .

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Someone has small hands... ;-)

I carry a ZT 0350 most of the time. Perfect size for my needs/wants in a daily carrier.

I also carry a Kershaw Rake when I don't carry the ZT. Again - perfect size.

When I don't carry either of the above - I either carry a Kershaw Leek or a Kershaw Junk Yard Dog. The JYD is the largest folding knife I own - and it's not much bigger than the Rake.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't have small hands. And I have 2 ZT 0350's. But I actually prefer the Spyderco manix 2 and paramilitary 2 over the assisted opening knives.

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    I go back and forth. It seems like the grass is always greener.... I'll carry my Spyderco Military for a while. Then switch to my Delica 4 with full flat grind. Man that thing can slice.

Top Bottom