• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    So I used to hit up two local Marsh stores and a Payless bakery for 5 gallon buckets, but lately they have run dry. Always seems like someone got to them before me. One lady was holding them back for me even though store policy is first come first serve. Her manager got on her for that and won't do it anymore.
    I am hoping this is a sign that more people are using them for prepping. The more people that prep the less I have to shoot when they try to take mine:draw:
    Found a great source online to buy buckets but with shipping it equals about $10 per bucket!! But have no fear! Lowe's carries 5 gallon food grade buckets!!!! You have to look for them, and my local store only stocks about 10 at a time but for right at $5 each with a lid it can't be beat. They are the white ones in the paint dept. and have a yellow sticker on then that says food grade. Just a heads up for ya'll.
    Anyone have a better source for their buckets?

Brett

Marksman
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    ECI
    This has been posted before but Menards also sells food grade 5 gallon buckets. I cannot remember the price but they are reasonable.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    McDonalds throws away their food grade buckets with lids, they use for the Crinkled Cut Pickles.... I have a bunch already, and they don't sell them, they will give them to you for free, since they throw em out anyway.

You guys try too hard.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Indiana self defense will have 30 of them in today with the screw on lids, new unused. Also getting toilet seats made for 5gal buckets

flhultra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    corydon area
    Home Depo if there out of white use their orange ones, there made out of the same plastic (HDPE) they also carry the Gama lids.
    also the orange ones are a couple bucks cheeper.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    Even with the thick mylar bags the pickle buckets made my rice taste funny. (Maybe psychological?) You have to watch the lesser quality buckets not being food grade. IIRC, HDPE doesn't necessarily mean food grade. The chemicals used in the plastic can leach out into your food. Its probably not any worse than eating store bought processed food though.....

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Indiana Naval Stores Co.
    2750 Barnes Avenue, Indpls
    317-925-1447

I got some white food grade buckets from this company a year ago or so for my food storage, along with a new 55 gal steel drum for kerosene.

They have all kinds of plastic and metal containers of all sizes and they are really nice people.

toddk

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Lake / Porter Co
    My local stops...

Subway for 5 gal. pickle buckets. Local Store owner sells them a 2 dollars a pop with sealed lids.

Newest score? Casey's gas station has 1 Gallon buckets with sealed lids for the frosting for the donuts they make in the store.

The local stracks has 5 gallon buckets for their cake frosting.

Good Luck!

Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    This has been posted before but Menards also sells food grade 5 gallon buckets. I cannot remember the price but they are reasonable.

My local Menards has $3 colored buckets that are NOT food grade, and $4 white buckets that ARE food grade (and have a sticker saying so). However, they hardly EVER have any of the food grade ones, and the non-food grade ones are often in the area meant for the food grade buckets.

What else is awesome at Menards is Gamma seal lids for $7 which is a GREAT price on an AWESOME product. I have a 5 gallon bucket of rice in my pantry with a gamma seal lid, which means I actually USE the rice.

I have pickle buckets from when I used to work at Burger King. After 10 years you can just barely smell the pickles (this is after multiple washings, including with soap, including with gravel and sand and soapy water then rolled around to scrape the insides, etc). I have had sugar that was stored in a pickle bucket and it definitely made my coffee taste faintly of pickles.

indiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Menards in Fort Wayne has them, $3.97 plus tax. They are white and say food grade on them. Never saw them there before with food grade written on them. Picked up 2. No gamma lids at this store. Ordered Mylar bags and o2 absorbers last night, will have my first bucket preps. by next week.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom