Foot Sweeps and Trips for Self Defense (AKA In The Streets)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I don't know if this will be of much interest to people. This post is mostly aimed at the recreational grapplers who are also interested in the ability to apply their skills in a self-defense context. Basically, I've been shifting my focus to foot sweeps and trips as my primary takedown methodology for grappling because I think they are a better fit for self-defense. I wanted to see if anyone else is of a similar mindset, or is putting any time into them, or has any thoughts.

It seems to be pretty well recognized in the serious self-defense community that standing clinch/grappling skills are important. Many unarmed fights may start with striking but quickly crash together and devolve into some kind of attachment. Close distance fights with weapons require achieving some attachment to the weapon or the limb holding it. Trainers are applying various wrestling or grappling skills to these problems. Craig Douglas, just as an example, focuses a considerable amount of his course work on using wrestling ties (underhooks, overhooks, inside ties, and wrist ties) to control limbs in the clinch. Other trainers teach various two on one attachments (baseball bat grip, Russian tie, etc) as the initial basis for controlling weapons or initiating disarms.

I haven't seen many trainers seriously teaching or advocating for any kind of takedowns or takedown system in their courses. I am not familiar with everyone's approach. So there probably are. If so, hopefully you guys can point me to them. If there aren't, it's probably for good reason. They are not something you can easily learn and apply inside of a weekend seminar. There are also good reasons to avoid many takedown techniques in "the streets". Most wrestling-based takedowns involve giving up control of the arms to control the legs or hips. They may require level changing and potentially ending up underneath the opponent, or at the least, going to the ground with them. Judo and Greco style throws are powerful and can leave you standing, but many require you to turn your back to the opponent and/or have the potential to be rolled through if/when you hit the ground. They are high reward but also high risk.

That said, I think there is a significant advantage in having the option to take someone to the ground. I think foot sweeps may be a good, low risk answer. Foot sweeps and trips can be used from pretty much any upper body tie up position. They are very likely to leave you standing or on top when the opponent hits the ground. They can be attempted without giving up any limb control. When they fail, they are unlikely to put you in a bad position. Even when they don't work, they can off-balance the opponent and create openings for other things (like improving grips, improving position, etc). Pretty much every grappling style I'm aware of has some kind of trips and foot sweeps. Judo, Wrestling, Sambo, Muay Thai all have great foot sweeps and trips.

The main downside is they are a very difficult skill to learn. A good foot sweep or trip requires great timing and a good sense of the opponent's balance. It could take many hours of dedicated practice to be able to hit them reliably. So, they are not for the person who is going to a weekend seminar a couple of times a year. I think they may be a good area of focus for someone who is at Judo, BJJ, Sambo, or Wrestling class multiple times a week. You're going to be working on some kind of takedowns anyway. We have people over in the drills of the week thread who spend many hours a week perfecting their sub 1 second draw to first shot, their A Zone head shots at 15 yards on the timer, and their reload times. Foot sweeps are probably in that kind of ballpark in terms of time commitment to reward ratio. But for the person already committed to grappling? Maybe it's a worthwhile pursuit. What do you all think?

I have a long way to go to be hitting them at a high percentage but I'm starting to put some time into it and they are improving. Could I hit one in the street under stress? I don't know. I don't think it would put me in a bad position to try it.

Some video examples:

Last edited:

XDdreams

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Indeed. I believe it is more beneficial to cross train multiple disciplines than to just master one.

Be practiced at many and master of none in terms of real world self defense/survival. Understand the strengths and weakness of each individual discipline and use the other disciplines to fill in those gaps.

Often at the bjj gym we would have random guys come in and train. They would be purely wrestlers or judokas, etc. They would mop the floor with most of us strictly bjj guys.

Most if not all of the bjj guys couldn't deal with the aggression, speed and explosiveness of the wrestlers and the trips, sweeps and off balancing of the judo guys. We simply didn't understand the weaknesses of only focusing on one discipline, bjj in this instance. That got me thinking that I needed more.

I think that the majority of people in the street scenario wouldn't have the slightest clue what you were doing if you ĺatched on to them were setting up a okuriashi harai sweep or a basic osoto gari throw. You would definitely have to be considerate of bladed weapons regardless of experience level of the person you are engaging with or the random freak athlete that has insane body awareness. But with the average less experienced person they most likely wouldn't have the mental and physical reps to be able to manipulate their body or get their weapon on target before they hit the ground. The more experienced folks would have their blade or weapon out before you closed distance.

In the event you are engaging with a experienced person in a life or death scenario, knowing those trips and sweeps in addition to wrestling, sambo, muay thai, bjj, etc could be the edge needed to be the one that walks away.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Interesting. I have had a sweep used against me in the past and it was, disconcerting. Is it a high skill move or is it more that it is something that you have to be good enough to be playing chess to fit it in at the right time?

Excuse me as I am heading to the range to work on my 25 yard head shots.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Interesting. I have had a sweep used against me in the past and it was, disconcerting. Is it a high skill move or is it more that it is something that you have to be good enough to be playing chess to fit it in at the right time?

Excuse me as I am heading to the range to work on my 25 yard head shots.
    When done well it is very disconcerting. It feels like the floor disappeared and you just fall.

Yes to both. It is a relatively high skill move and most of that skill is recognizing/feeling the timing of the foot movement and being in the position to take advantage. You can also make people move into the position to set it up, but that's a high skill move too.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    … I haven't seen many trainers seriously teaching or advocating for any kind of takedowns or takedown system in their courses. I am not familiar with everyone's approach. So there probably are. If so, hopefully you guys can point me to them. …

The Gracies teach some takedowns in their introductory Combatives material.

It’s Phase 2 of their overall approach (i.e. 1. Close the distance, 2. Execute the takedown, 3. Achieve the dominant position, and 4. Finish the fight).

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    The Gracies teach some takedowns in their introductory Combatives material.

It’s Phase 2 of their overall approach (i.e. 1. Close the distance, 2. Execute the takedown, 3. Achieve the dominant position, and 4. Finish the fight).
    I haven't seen what they teach except on YouTube. They are big advocates of finishing the fight on the ground. I believe they like to get a body lock or clinch and use an outside trip or get to the back and pull them down in a valley drop type of movement.

These are probably easier to teach and execute reliably (assuming you can work your way to a tight enough clinch). They tend to commit you to the ground or entangle you with the adversary more than the foot sweep or trip option.

I would like to go through the Gracie Conbatives material and also the Gracie police material, but I haven't wanted to commit the funds.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I haven't seen what they teach except on YouTube. They are big advocates of finishing the fight on the ground. I believe they like to get a body lock or clinch and use an outside trip or get to the back and pull them down in a valley drop type of movement.

These are probably easier to teach and execute reliably (assuming you can work your way to a tight enough clinch). They tend to commit you to the ground or entangle you with the adversary more than the foot sweep or trip option.

I would like to go through the Gracie Conbatives material and also the Gracie police material, but I haven't wanted to commit the funds.

The just released version 2.0 of their Combatives material in Feb. and had a super sale a few weeks ago. I think it was discounted $84. Unfortunately, I think the deal has expired. (The were also closing out their remaining DVDs a few weeks ago. Everything is going to the streaming platform I believe.)

In the Combatives lessons they teach the following.

Both combatants standing:
    Lesson 6: Leg Hook Takedown
    Lesson 14: Body Fold Takedown
    Lesson 17: Double Leg Takedown
    Lesson 29: Rear Takedown

The Leg Hook and Body Fold are from the clinch. The Double Leg is shooting in for the legs. The Rear Takedown is executed after obtaining a "rear clinch." Yes, as they present these, everyone generally ends up on the ground.

Defender on the ground, attacker standing:
    Lesson 20: Double Ankle Sweep
    Lesson 28: Hook Sweep

There may be more in their Master Cycle material (probably is), but I haven't looked at any of that.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Most if not all of the bjj guys couldn't deal with the aggression, speed and explosiveness of the wrestlers
    Being strong and physically fit is a significant factor, and not one that is focused on enough on forums like this. It's something I fail at more than succeed. It's probably the place I could get the most benefit if I focused the time on it. Moreso than learning foot sweeps, to be honest.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    The just released version 2.0 of their Combatives material in Feb. and had a super sale a few weeks ago. I think it was discounted $84. Unfortunately, I think the deal has expired. (The were also closing out their remaining DVDs a few weeks ago. Everything is going to the streaming platform I believe.)

In the Combatives lessons they teach the following.

Both combatants standing:
    Lesson 6: Leg Hook Takedown
    Lesson 14: Body Fold Takedown
    Lesson 17: Double Leg Takedown
    Lesson 29: Rear Takedown

The Leg Hook and Body Fold are from the clinch. The Double Leg is shooting in for the legs. The Rear Takedown is executed after obtaining a "rear clinch." Yes, as they present these, everyone generally ends up on the ground.

Defender on the ground, attacker standing:
    Lesson 20: Double Ankle Sweep
    Lesson 28: Hook Sweep

There may be more in their Master Cycle material (probably is), but I haven't looked at any of that.
    Do you practice these with a buddy at home?

XDdreams

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Being strong and physically fit is a significant factor, and not one that is focused on enough on forums like this. It's something I fail at more than succeed. It's probably the place I could get the most benefit if I focused the time on it. Moreso than learning foot sweeps, to be honest.
    Do you gas pretty quick during live sparring?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    If any of you want to come up North sometime, I'd love to have you.

Sure, there is no magic pill. I watched a guy tomoe nage someone in a evolution at ECQC. Relatively little to no skill there but definitely surprising. It worked and he ended up on top in mount.
    Being big and fit helps get deselected and win the fight.
    Being skilled gets you to win the fight.
    Why not get both? All rolling can make you fit if you plan your rounds accordingly. Yes, you can do the lazy old purple belt rolls *ahem me* or you can go fast and hard with all the people that are there to do that.

Jackson, I'm unaware of, because of my lack of time on here, your background at this point. Forgive me if this isn't what you're looking for.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    If any of you want to come up North sometime, I'd love to have you.

Sure, there is no magic pill. I watched a guy tomoe nage someone in a evolution at ECQC. Relatively little to no skill there but definitely surprising. It worked and he ended up on top in mount.
    Being big and fit helps get deselected and win the fight.
    Being skilled gets you to win the fight.
    Why not get both? All rolling can make you fit if you plan your rounds accordingly. Yes, you can do the lazy old purple belt rolls *ahem me* or you can go fast and hard with all the people that are there to do that.

Jackson, I'm unaware of, because of my lack of time on here, your background at this point. Forgive me if this isn't what you're looking for.

It looks like a perfectly applicable comment to me. Being skilled and being fit are not mutually exclusive, and both are important. If you want to maximize your odds, you'll spend plenty of time on both. People who are getting paid to fight certainly do. There are plenty of scenarios where size, strength, stamina, and/or power win out over technique and skills and vice versa. As you said, there is no magic pill or secret technique. There is no one thing that works in, or fits into, every scenario. There is no thing that works 100% of the time. There are just skills you try to integrate into the system of things you're already doing.

And I'm not advocating foot sweeps as a magic pill. I wouldn't advocate them at all for anyone who isn't already putting in training time grappling for fun. For the people who are training consistently and want to consider a takedown system that will carry over well to the streets, I think foot sweeps and trips (de ashi harai, okouri ashi harai, sasae tsurikomi ashi, ko soto gake, etc in Judo terms) are a good place to spend some time.

As far as my background, I used to attend a lot of pistol training and hit the range frequently. You can find old AARs on here from many of those classes. I have fallen away from that in the past couple of years and barely shoot anymore. I go to BJJ a couple of times a week, and have recently joined a Judo club a couple of times a week. I am not a competitor or training particularly hard, but I enjoy it. I'm definitely in the hobbyist category, but it keeps me active doing something that might be helpful if I ever needed it.

Where is up north and what are you doing up there?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Up North is the Valparaiso area. I roll at Choke-U when my knee isn't blown out.

We shoot pistol and rifle stuff with Infinity Solutions. Sometimes we get together in dimly lit basements to experiment with the types of questions posed in threads like these.

A major benefit is I have a core group of like 6 people that are blue belt and above that are also solid shooters that like to pose these questions and just find out.

Top Bottom