• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    To meet your challenge one must read 400+ pages of very dry language, and then spend a significant amount of time parsing which principles you're referring to from reams of filler. And then develop an opposing argument.

Presenting it as you have makes it a task few people on this forum would bother to take on. And, presumably, after waiting a few days with no takers, you would claim victory, do your dance, and forever cite this thread as proof that there is no rebuttal to your principles. That's a great tool for casual dismissal.

Of course, you could make your challenge beyond reproach. In other words, it would be more intellectually honest to challenge dissenters in a way that they are actually likely to take you up on it. Go the extra mile. Make it easy for them to try. Summarize the principles in a few core assertions. Support your assertions with concise references from the book if you'd like.

Then when there's silence, THEN you can claim victory and do whatever dance makes you feel vindicated. But throwing this book at people and daring them to refute it is not any more intellectually honest than Hillary throwing hundreds of thousands of printed emails at the state department to fulfill her email "transparency".

(Hillbilly voice)
    oh, man
    I sure wish I went to school and learnt to talk all high falootin like that.

well said

so on the sensitivity level
    we have
    steveh_131
    jamil
    d-ric902
    and finally least sensitive
    ATM

as long as we know

Last edited:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    To meet your challenge one must read 400+ pages of very dry language, and then spend a significant amount of time parsing which principles you're referring to from reams of filler. And then develop an opposing argument.

Presenting it as you have makes it a task few people on this forum would bother to take on. And, presumably, after waiting a few days with no takers, you would claim victory, do your dance, and forever cite this thread as proof that there is no rebuttal to your principles. That's a great tool for casual dismissal.

Of course, you could make your challenge beyond reproach. In other words, it would be more intellectually honest to challenge dissenters in a way that they are actually likely to take you up on it. Go the extra mile. Make it easy for them to try. Summarize the principles in a few core assertions. Support your assertions with concise references from the book if you'd like.

I don't know how you read his OP as some sort of 'challenge'. It sounded more like an invitation for libertarians to be challenged. I welcome the challenge, but like ATM, have grown very tired of the constant stream of straw-man arguments presented by people who seem to have no understanding of libertarian thought.

You already understand the fundamentals of libertarian thought. You are in the minority. Most people here can't seem to differentiate it from anarchy.

Seriously, read the threads around here. If you criticize the drug war, you must be a druggy. If you criticize interventionist foreign policy, you must hate America. If you want an actually small government, you must be an anarchist.

I can count on one hand the number of people here who present any reasonable, informed, logically consistent arguments against libertarians.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Seriously, read the threads around here. If you criticize the drug war, you must be a druggy. If you criticize interventionist foreign policy, you must hate America. If you want an actually small government, you must be an anarchist.

I can count on one hand the number of people here who present any reasonable, informed, logically consistent arguments against libertarians.
    Alright, you asked for it

Lighten up

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Do you understand a fundamental difference between acknowledging printed stupidity and having 'hurt feelings'?

You're starting to remind me of my 6-year-old when he misuses expressions that he thinks are hilarious. It's funnier when he does it.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    That has to be the best Butthurt picture/reply yet.

You must new to the internet. Welcome!

first_day_on_the_internet_kid_98.jpg

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If you can find fault with the historical, ethical or economic principles which form the foundation of this classic presentation, you'll never need to resort to strawman arguments or evasion again. :):

If these principles, the whole of them, were so easily refuted, I'd think we'd see them more frequently challenged directly rather than being purposely or ignorantly mischaracterized so as to be casually dismissed.

And I'm not as nice as D-Ric

...or as sensitive. ;)

If it's not a challenge, fair enough. But surely you guys can see how this might be understood as a challenge.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Alright, you asked for it

From my chair it looks like someone else entirely has "asked for it". If they keep it up they'll likely get it.

This is your in-thread warning, INGO: play nice or play elsewhere.

I will not be issuing warnings for insults and asshattery here, I will be issuing bans. Please review and consider our rules before posting here.

Thank you, and have a pleasant tomato.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    ATM,

Ok, I've made it through several pages. So far I must say you must be a different kind of person than average. I imagine you read this wide-eyed, eagerly anticipating each turn of the page. I'm just trying to figure out how to keep my eyes open. Sheesh that **** is dry!

I have some developing questions as I read along though. I'll probably ask for clarification at some point. One question that comes to mind now, how important is it to the underlying principles that, historically, the founding fathers were libertarians?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    And on the extracurriculars, I don't think it's such a bad thing to use sarcasm and mild ridicule. I see enough silly things that sarcasm seems the best way to express what I think. I dish it out, and I'll take what comes. But there is a point where it gets personal. I respect everyone I ridicule.

Well, almost. There is one person I don't respect all that much.

Top Bottom