• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wazimu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    I am new to the world of ccw and would like to know if there is a compelling reason to buy a new handgun or if the purchase of a used one is a reasonable option. I might say that most new weapons are not really as appealing as, for example, a S&W 908 or a Walther PPK.

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Some of the best long term experiences I have had with handguns has been with used, not abused, high quality firearms that I might not have been able to aford at the time.... five kids and all that. Lots of folks apparently buy nice guns, shoot them a few times to make sure they go bang, and then store them in a drawer or a safe. Years ago I bought a beautiful S&W Model 27 that the owner warned me "shot way left" and the price was right. I soon found out the poor guy didn't know sights were adjustable, and the "way left" was maybe 2" at 15 yards.... really ! With another brand of 357 (Winchester) I had to move the sights back to the original centered position ! Don't be afraid to try a good gun that looks hardly used....

Wazimu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    thank you

Being new to this world, I just mostly read what is available on the web. However, anyone can say anything in one forum or the other. For example, one guy says, "This is the best gun I've ever owned." Another guy says, "Big POS." In addition, it seems that all new guns in the past few years have been released for sale with issues. It is a bit confusing to someone who has not really been a part of guns for carry or collecting.

I wish I had become interested years ago when supply and demand were not so whacked by the diarrhea coming from Washington.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'd say the purchase of a used handgun is more than a reasonable option. In fact, it can be an excellent option! Certainly, some weapons have been kept in poor order, not properly maintained, or abused, but there are plenty of perfectly sound weapons available for sale with little more than cosmetic wear for very reasonable prices. For example, I've purchased two Smith and Wesson model 19s, and they have both proven to be reliable, accurate, wonderful weapons.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am new to the world of ccw and would like to know if there is a compelling reason to buy a new handgun or if the purchase of a used one is a reasonable option. I might say that most new weapons are not really as appealing as, for example, a S&W 908 or a Walther PPK.

I have two I carry regularly. One is my S&W model 66.....built in 1970. My 2nd is my S&W 1911sc bobtail, built in fall of 2012.

I trust both equally well. The 1911 throws a bigger chunk of lead.....and has night sites. But the 66 has the best trigger I have ever used.

Top Bottom