• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johncarries

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2015
    South Bend
    I thought it appropriate to update Indiana residents who hunt Michigan land on the new deer hunting rifle regulations. What is legal in Indiana, is NOT necessarily legal across the state line. Two years ago the NRC renamed the “shotgun/pistol zone” to the “Limited Firearm Deer Zone”. The Zone only applies to the firearm deer seasons. The reason for this change was because the NRC approved the use of certain rifles in this area. Those regulations can be found on page 20 of the Michigan Hunting and Trapping Digest. Below are Wildlife Conservation Orders copied from the web.

Here are the facts, per the Michigan DNR.

THE WILDLIFE CONSERVATION ORDER
    Chapter I
    Title and Definitions
    1.2 Definitions.
    Sec. 1.2 (17) “Limited firearms deer zone” means that area south of a line beginning at a point on the Wisconsin-Michigan boundryline directly west of the west end of highway M-46; then east to M-46 and east along M-46 to its junction with freeway US-131; then south along freeway US-131 to M-57; then east along M-57 to its intersection with Montcalm road on the Kent-Montcalm county line; then south along that county line and the Ionia-Kent county line to its intersection with M-44; then east along M-44 to its intersection with M-66; then north along M-66 to its intersection with M-57; then east along M-57 to its intersection with M-52; then north along M-52 to its intersection with M-46; then east along M-46 to its intersection with M-47; then north along M-47 to its junction with US-10; then east along US-10 to its junction with I-75; then north along I-75 and US-23 to its junction with beaver road, Kawkawlin township, Bay county; then east along beaver road to Saginaw bay; then north 50o east to the international boundary with Canada.
    (21) “Zone 1” means all of the Upper Peninsula.
    (22) “Zone 2” means all of that part of the Lower Peninsula north of a line beginning at the Michigan-Wisconsin boundary line due west of the Lake Michigan shoreline which is north of Muskegon lake and due west of the western terminus of memorial drive at Scenic drive in Muskegon county, then easterly to said western terminus of memorial drive at Scenic drive, easterly on memorial drive to Ruddiman drive, northeasterly on Ruddiman drive to lake avenue, northeasterly on lake avenue to highway M-120 (also known as Holton road) in North Muskegon, northeasterly and then northerly on highway M-120 to highway M-20, easterly on highway M-20 to highway business route US-10 in the city of Midland, easterly on combined highway M-20 and highway business route US-10 to highway US-10 at the Midland-Bay county line, easterly on highway US-10 to Garfield road in Bay county, northerly on Garfield road to Pinconning road, easterly on Pinconning road to seven mile road, northernly on seven mile road to the Bay-Arenac county line (where seven mile road changes name to Lincoln school road), northerly on Lincoln school road (also known as county road 25) in Arenac county to highway M-61, easterly on highway M-61 to highway US-23, northeasterly then easterly on highway US-23 to the center line of the Au Gres river, southernly along the center line of the Au Gres river to Saginaw bay of Lake Huron, easterly 90° east for 7 miles into Saginaw bay, then northernly 78° east (dividing Arenac county islands from Huron county islands) to the international boundary line between the United States and the dominion of Canada.
    (23) “Zone 3” means all that part of the Lower Peninsula south of the line described in zone 2.

Chapter II
    General Hunting and Trapping Regulations
    2.1 Taking of animals; prohibited methods, devices, and weapons; exceptions.
    Sec. 2.1 Unless otherwise specified in this order, a person shall not do any of the following:

(3) During the five days immediately preceding November 15, transport or possess in an area frequented by deer a rifle or shotgun with buckshot, slug load, ball load, or cut shell. A person may transport a rifle or shotgun to or from a hunting camp if the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and securely encased or carried in the trunk of a vehicle. This section shall not prohibit a resident who holds a fur harvester’s license from carrying a rimfire firearm .22 caliber or smaller while hunting or checking a trap line during the open season for hunting or trapping fur-bearing animals.

(4) Use in hunting, or, subject to section 43510, 1994 PA 451, MCL 324.43510, possess afield in an area inhabited by wild birds and animals within the “limited firearms deer zone” from November 15 to November 30, or use to take a deer during any firearm deer season in the “limited firearms deer zone,” a firearm other than:

(a) A shotgun with a smooth or rifled barrel.

(b) A .35 caliber or larger pistol capable of holding no more than nine shells at one time in the barrel and magazine combined and loaded with straight-walled cartridges.

(c) A muzzle-loading rifle or black-powder pistol loaded with black-powder or a commercially manufactured black-powder substitute.

(d) A .35 caliber or larger rifle loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a minimum case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches.

(e) A .35 caliber or larger air rifle or pistol charged only from an external high-compression power source such as an external hand pump, air tank, or air compressor.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I was thinking about getting a .44, but then thought "why?" My 12 gauge is just as accurate at longer range, and more versatile. If I'm in brush or moving I have buckshot chambered, if in a stand slugs. I wouldn't take a shot at a running deer with a rifle in the terrain that I hunt in, so other than the "cool" factor I have no reason to go that route.

Top Bottom