• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    What are your thoughts on open carry? Do you ask for a LTCH every time you see someone OC? Do LEO's talk amongst each other on the subject? What is the general consensus on the subject?

Last and not least, if you are an LEO that knows that it is LEGAL to OC, can you spread the word to every other LEO you encounter that this is true?

Thank you for helping protect our communities!!!

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Interested in this as well. I've OC'd past State Troopers and County Sheriff's several times and not been stopped, (as it should be,) but I am curious to get some opinions on what they actually think about it when asked.

Also, I like the way your phrased; very non-confrontational. And I second the motion that our representatives within the law enforcement community, (those INGO members who support OC and are simultaneously LEO's,) should be sure that the other members of their departments know the local laws on OC.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Thank you for helping protect our communities!!!

number1.gif

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    It depends on the situation. If I'm in a gas station or something and see OC I don't ask for LTCH or question them about it. If I saw something cool I'd probably ask about it out of curiosity. Other than that, it depends on the call or situation. As far as discussing it with other officers, I can't think of when it has come up in casual conversation. It's fairly rare from what I've seen so it's not usually something that comes up enough to really be a hot topic. I backed up an officer on a drunk driver and the guy was OC'ing. We secured it due the circumstances but didn't say anything specifically about OC'ing to the guy. As far as my opinion of it, I don't do it but I don't care if somebody else does it. If it ever comes up with somebody I'm training I'll make sure they're clear on the laws regarding firearms. I was asked by a citizen the other night about firearm laws and the response I got was that it seemed "scary" that it was that easy to acquire and own a firearm. I didn't argue the subject, people are entitled to their opinions.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    It depends on the situation. If I'm in a gas station or something and see OC I don't ask for LTCH or question them about it. If I saw something cool I'd probably ask about it out of curiosity. Other than that, it depends on the call or situation. As far as discussing it with other officers, I can't think of when it has come up in casual conversation. It's fairly rare from what I've seen so it's not usually something that comes up enough to really be a hot topic. I backed up an officer on a drunk driver and the guy was OC'ing. We secured it due the circumstances but didn't say anything specifically about OC'ing to the guy. As far as my opinion of it, I don't do it but I don't care if somebody else does it. If it ever comes up with somebody I'm training I'll make sure they're clear on the laws regarding firearms. I was asked by a citizen the other night about firearm laws and the response I got was that it seemed "scary" that it was that easy to acquire and own a firearm. I didn't argue the subject, people are entitled to their opinions.

and by "securing it" you mean seizing his property, stuffing the constitution in his mouth, and "running the serial number" while holding your boot on his head?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You will find that the LEO's here on this forum will be the "better" ones usually in dealing with this stuff. If you are minding your own business and OC'ing near me...have a nice day, not likely to even ask about your LTCH, let alone want to see it. If I get called to deal with your in a disturbance, domestic, etc, I will take control of it for the duration of the investigation. However, that is RARE..VERY RARE. I had a home invasion last year that the victim was caught off-guard on his porch by 3 armed kids. When I got there, he had gotten his Colt 1911 and placed it on the table in case they came back. He was a nice man and my only thought was "WOW!!! An unmolested WWII Colt 1911...I Want I want I want." Of course he would NEVER thing about getting rid of it :(. It is actually quite rare that I come in contact with a LTCH.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    I have to confess I was not learned on the subject of OC until I came to INGO. My general feeling is that people who OC are knowledgeable on the laws and their rights and are not very likely to OC without a LTCH. Criminals would never OC. They like to be secretive and conceal their intentions.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City

I can accept on a DUI stop confiscating the gun. This is when they are actually investigating a possible crime. Thanks for responding!!! +1

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    You will find that the LEO's here on this forum will be the "better" ones usually in dealing with this stuff. If you are minding your own business and OC'ing near me...have a nice day, not likely to even ask about your LTCH, let alone want to see it. If I get called to deal with your in a disturbance, domestic, etc, I will take control of it for the duration of the investigation. However, that is RARE..VERY RARE. I had a home invasion last year that the victim was caught off-guard on his porch by 3 armed kids. When I got there, he had gotten his Colt 1911 and placed it on the table in case they came back. He was a nice man and my only thought was "WOW!!! An unmolested WWII Colt 1911...I Want I want I want." Of course he would NEVER thing about getting rid of it :(. It is actually quite rare that I come in contact with a LTCH.

Same goes for this response, if you are investigating a crime or even possible crime, I completely understand taking control of the firearm. A traffic stop for a seatbelt does not fall into the crime category, but as far as this post goes, I agree!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I honestly don't care if a person OC's. I'm not walking up to a person, "out of the blue," and asking for a LTCH. I may be staring trying to figure out what you're carrying, but that's about it.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I sure hope INGO LEO's make it a point to educate others when LTCH holder situations come up. Personally, I have not had a positive encounter with LEO's when I've OC'd over the years.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    This is the wrong place to get a true feel for the police WRT this issue. The officers that hang here are more "gun guys". The JBT's hang out on cop furums.

True there probably is some bias here, but maybe we can learn how some of the LEO's coworkers feel on this matter. I don't believe that carrying a gun makes it a you vs LEO situation, I just know that there are some LEO's that hate civilians that carry and I can't figure out why. I carry daily and it is not to be a bad ass, not to harm anyone, and not to intimidate anyone. I carry for the sole purpose of personal protection of myself and others, by others I mean that if I see someone elses life in danger I am not going to step aside and let someone else die when I could have prevented it from happening. I am not a vigilante and I will avoid interfering in any situation unless someones life is in danger. The world gets crazier everyday and I don't want to be another victim in some news headline, I have a wife and kids that I need to be here for. I hope that I NEVER have to use my handgun in a self defense situation, but better to be prepared than be a victim!

Easy1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Kokomo
    I just know that there are some LEO's that hate civilians that carry and I can't figure out why. I carry daily and it is not to be a bad ass, not to harm anyone, and not to intimidate anyone. I carry for the sole purpose of personal protection of myself and others, by others I mean that if I see someone elses life in danger I am not going to step aside and let someone else die when I could have prevented it from happening.

I feel 100% the same... I think it's cause some LEO think you're trying to do their job or you're some how 1 of them for OC'n when you are not. Would you get mad if you were an Engineer, doing all the Engineering work, and your assistant put "Engineer" has her job title - probably cause it's not true! Not saying I agree with LEO anger towards OC - just saying I can see why some get pi*sy! my :twocents: :popcorn:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I just know that there are some LEO's that hate civilians that carry and I can't figure out why.

Because there are non-LEO's that think the same way. When they become the police, they keep their same points of view. I think that the USA is getting better every day with law abiding gun owners.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    We had a shooting last week. A few minutes we stopped a car matching the description (same type, Ky. tags, number of people, everything). We all drew down and the driver and passenger cooperated. Driver had a gun and a ltch. It turned out not to be the shooter. Apologized to the driver and explained. He understood well. He shook our hands and left to go find the shooter. LEOS will understand, that when you put out a BOL every car that matches the description will flock to that location. It can be a Ford Pinto and all of a sudden 10 Pintos will show up.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom