• For or against national ID card

• Total voters

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    or indifferent. Highlighted by the recent discussion on stopping illegals from gaining access to a public health care option, are you for or against a national ID system. This would be a GOVERNMENT operated, centralized program, that requires you to carry an ID card with some form of encrypted data (yes, I know this isnt 100% safe, thats why its a poll) at all times. You could be asked to produce this ID at any time, by anyone; police, joe blow on the street, cashier at the 7-11, potential employer, dr, taxi driver, etc.. Feel free to post your reasons for your choice...i know there are a lot of pros and cons to this system, but short of implanted chips in our arms, Im not sure what the solution is.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Uh, the solution is less federal government in our lives which eliminates the need for such ID. Read the Ninth and Tenth Amendments to the Constitution.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I don't like the idea, and I'm in favor of a free market approach to immigration, so I was torn as to which answer to pick. I figured I'd go with the "NO" vote and let the rest go for now.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    so how are you going to keep illegals from benefiting from free services that tax payers fund? i know what the Constitution states, but its clearly not being followed.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    No ID.

This anti immigration business is ridiculous. We need to stop being a nanny state and then you will find that people come here to make a living, not to get free stuff.

I don't care about "illegal immigration". I care that anyone gets a government handout.

Charity is good. Forcing someone to give money, food, clothing, shelter, etc. with the threat of violence is EVIL.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    so how are you going to keep illegals from benefiting from free services that tax payers fund? i know what the Constitution states, but its clearly not being followed.

Does not compute. Nothing is free. These services are theft.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    I dunno...this smacks of Big Brother to me, but what I really want to know before I commit to an answer is....

A. How much more efficient is this going to be than the state run system already in place? Is this going to be a cumbersome and frustration process (more so than dealing with the DMV already is?), is it going to be about the same, or is it going to be more streamlined and efficient?

B. What kind of "encrypted information" is going to be stored on this ID? Who will have access to it, and for what reasons?

C. What kind of penalties, if any, will there be for NOT having this ID?

D. What is the cost of implementing such a system, and will the individual states have any determination in how its implemented, or will it be completely under Federal control? Will the states have to bear any costs, regardless of their ability to regulate or influence this system, or will it be entirely federally funded?

Just a few things I'd like to know before I say yea or nay on this one...

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I don't want anymore handouts or socialized programs, so there's no need to prove citizenship.

I want anyone not legally here to leave, or go through the proper channels to become legal.

I don't want any more centralized tracking of me by the Government for any reason. If the Social Security Numbering system isn't good enough, too bad.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Simple. Stop the free services, stop the taxpayers being required to fund them. Kinda like the old joke about how you keep a skunk from smelling: Hold his nose.

I think we're all holding our noses far too much. This stinks.

Blessings,
    Bill

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    So this is a done deal?

All drivers licences under this program will come equipped with RFID tags and will share info with federal agencies (all to keep you safe)

Q&A: License changes coming in Indiana

INDIANAPOLIS — Gov. Mitch Daniels last week announced changes in the state's new driver's license policy, which goes into effect Jan. 1 and is meant to bring Indiana into compliance with the federal Real ID law.
    adlabel_horz.gif

Under the previously announced policy, all Hoosiers seeking a driver's license or state identification card would be required to meet the federal Secure ID standards. But Bureau of Motor Vehicle spokesman Dennis Rosebrough said there were some objections to the new policy, so the BMV made some changes.

Here's what Rosebrough had to say:

Question: What change did the governor announce?
    Answer: The governor announced that we will now offer an option to those people who either are struggling to find the appropriate documents (to meet the Real ID standards) or who just don't want to get a federally compliant driver's license or ID card.
    We will issue both a compliant card that meets all requirements of the Real ID card, and also issue a noncompliant card.
    The noncompliant card will have a notation that is not for federal identification.

Q: What will a federally compliant ID be used for?
    A: The Real ID Act stipulates that among other things, the TSA (Transportation Security Administration) may restrict access to boarding commercial aircraft if you don't have a compliant card or there may be restrictions to federal buildings without a compliant card.

Q: Why did the BMV and the governor decide to make the change?
    A: When we announced in July we were going to go to this new secure approach, there were some people — it was really not a huge outcry—– but some people who expressed concern about their ability to get the documents required in a timely manner or people who really just did not need for to have a compliant card.
    The federal law does permit states to issue noncompliant cards but they must be identified as such.

Q: When will all these changes to into effect?
    A: All of this begins Jan 1, 2010. That's when the Real ID Act requires states to begin issuing compliant IDs and driver's licenses.

Here is the wiki: REAL ID Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh and thank the GOP for this one.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    So, if I read this right, if we don't want the Federal ID we could technically burn it right when we renew our licenses and they hand us one? Or would that be destroying Government property?:rolleyes:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    So, if I read this right, if we don't want the Federal ID we could technically burn it right when we renew our licenses and they hand us one? Or would that be destroying Government property?:rolleyes:

Why? You can get a state-issued ID marked "Not for Federal Identification" that has no RFID chip.

If you want to destroy government property, you have to wait until they implant the chip in you.

Blessings,
    Bill

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    Why? You can get a state-issued ID marked "Not for Federal Identification" that has no RFID chip.

If you want to destroy government property, you have to wait until they implant the chip in you.

Blessings,
    Bill

However if you don't get the federal ID you can't Get on a plane, leave the country, or enter a federal building.

And how long until they crack down more on those who choose not to have them.

Top Bottom