• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deereman7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Greencastle
    I've recently have started shooting steel shoots and am loving it. I picked up a new mp15-22 last week and am wondering what type of red dot optic is considered best for rifle. I like the tube type but would a reflex be any faster? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Others will chime in I am sure.
    But most steel shoots are like 15-25 yards out, so a higher end sight is not as critical imo. ymmv
    Quite a bit of parallax in some of the sights out there. But an 8" target at 25 yards? Not as much of a concern as a 1" target.
    The sightmark reflex sight isn't too shabby in this regard, and features multiple reticles and colors. Though you'll want to zero each time you change reticles.

The son had one on his m&p-22, and prefers a bit more precision when shooting action figures from 50 yards out. But steel would not be an issue in our experience. We swapped after using a small bsa red dot (which seemed to be less accurate than the sightmark).
    Now he's running a vortex scope, which better suits his accuracy needs, not so much yours.

Again, others will chime in other options, and some may be more suitable for you.

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    Yup, TRS-25

My initial thought as well. I have a cheap red dot on my 10/22 that is tubular with an Eotech type retical. On round plates, I am much faster with this sight over a traditional red dot as the perimeter of the sight often matches the outline of the target and I have the dot in the middle as well. My eyes and brain pick up the targets quickly and if I do my part, gets my strings in the 3sec range if I do my part. Beware...there is no going back now :):

Last edited:

DepTaylor

Plinker
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Westfield
    I am waiting for inventory levels to come back up on the Vortex Venom 8MOA. I have a red dot that is 3MOA and for steel, a larger dot is generally better.

NightFisher

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2016
    Indianapolis
    You want a real hot tip? Shoot irons. You will shoot with slower folks, score higher, and in truth, not be any slower than you would be with an optic. Be the big fish in the small pool.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You want a real hot tip? Shoot irons. You will shoot with slower folks, score higher, and in truth, not be any slower than you would be with an optic. Be the big fish in the small pool.

I am actually faster with irons then a red dot. I have a rifle with a rear peep sight that has a removable aperture. Creates a ghost ring style sight. Very fast.

Deereman7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Greencastle
    Oh I haven't checked my post in a while. I found a bargain on a vortex sparc. Ended up getting it. Dep Taylor I agree about the bigger moa. I was hoping to find bigger. The only bigger I found was a cmore. That wasn't in the budget. Thx guys

Top Bottom