For those who hunted with a .30-30, what style scope?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    No, not sacrilege; it's practical.
    Lots of folks don't have nearly the visual acuity that they had when they were younger.
    Also, there have been some significant technological advances with .30-30 ammo, especially Hornady's LeveRevolution ammo and FTX component bullets, that greatly extend the effective range of the .30-30 such that a moderate bit of magnification helps at the roughly 200-250 yards now practical with the new ammo, and having the target and the aiming point more or less in focus -- impossible to accomplish with iron sights, mind you -- helps aiming precision to ensure a humane shot.
    We don't call it silly or sacrilege for those who prudently wear hearing protection, so why do we scoff at people who choose to acknowledge reality with the limitations of their eyesight who respond by improving their odds of getting a precision shot to ethically bring down their game?

Very true, now in my 60s I can't see nearly as well as when I was in my 30s. The scope helps me make an accurate shot.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    A couple years ago, I had a great little Winchester 94, in .44 mag, which would be possibly even a closer range rifle than your 30-30. I just had it topped with a Leupold VariX II, 3x9, and it was all I needed.

11-14-09_0908 (2).jpg

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I appreciate everyone's input. Doesn't seem to be to many strong opinions about the initial question, more important - additional magnification vs illuminated reticle, but the comments have been helpful. I need a short LOP to make a rifle fit right and always struggle to get a good eye relief with most scoped. I have a fixed 2.75 scout on a .357 lever and do like that setup. I am leaning towards the 2-7x32mm scout scope for the greater eye relief and likely faster acquisition.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    A 30-30 is basically a good 150 yard shell, if your hunting in the brush or woods less than that. For Dear or even preditors I'd suggest you leave the scope off. You can aquire your prey quicker with open sights and any decent shot doesn't need a scope for a 100 yard shot, unless of course you are as old as I am then you need the scope just to see your target.
    Second suggestion, Skinner or Williams peep sights. Much better than Semi Buckhorn and fully windage and elevation adjustable.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    A 30-30 is basically a good 150 yard shell, if your hunting in the brush or woods less than that. For Dear or even preditors I'd suggest you leave the scope off. You can aquire your prey quicker with open sights and any decent shot doesn't need a scope for a 100 yard shot, unless of course you are as old as I am then you need the scope just to see your target.
    Second suggestion, Skinner or Williams peep sights. Much better than Semi Buckhorn and fully windage and elevation adjustable.

I will be putting some Skinner winged sights on the rifle. You are correct, they are accurate and awesome. I have no problem hitting gongs at range and would feel comfortable taking a shot on a deer at up to 100 yards in good conditions. It is really for the less than ideal conditions I am thinking of and yeah, I am close to 50 and eyes aren't what they used to be.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I appreciate everyone's input. Doesn't seem to be to many strong opinions about the initial question, more important - additional magnification vs illuminated reticle, but the comments have been helpful. I need a short LOP to make a rifle fit right and always struggle to get a good eye relief with most scoped. I have a fixed 2.75 scout on a .357 lever and do like that setup. I am leaning towards the 2-7x32mm scout scope for the greater eye relief and likely faster acquisition.

Within the normal useful range of a 30-30 the additional magnification probably won't be all that helpful. The illuminated reticle could be very beneficial if you hunt heavy cover in low light where it can be difficult to pick out your black crosshairs on the dark coat of a deer surrounded by a dark background.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    I'd go with the 1-4 power scope. It's in a standard mounting location and it will give you all the magnification to make your shots out to 100-125 yards. The ability to dial it back is also nice. The illuminated reticle is useful. If you are having issues getting proper eye relief, try using a cantilever mount.

Top Bottom