• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    So, I am just now getting into some long range bolt shooting (thanks to sgreen). Must say, its pretty enjoyable and a bit addicting.

Well, between the cost of ammo, and the lack of tighter groups with factory ammo, I am wanting to reload some 308. I have Varget Powder. I have my press. I have my Sierra 168 Grain bullets. I have my primers. I have my dies. Have everything I need to reload. I have a Savage Hog Hunter Model 11. 20" Threaded barrel, accutrigger, yada yada.

My question is, I was wonder if any of you had any load recommendations. Just as a good base to start off with I know everything is different base on the gun, shooter, etc. Just looking for a good baseline. I am pretty new to this sort of thing. I appreciate anything that can help.

Thanks Nick

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Aim for about 2650 FPS. With Varget and similar powders, 41 grains is where I start. I usually end up with about 43 grains. Both are safe and under max.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Sloughfoot has you on the right track, but DO consult a reloading manual. The load that shoots lights out in my 308 Savage might not be worth a hill of beans in yours. The only way for you to know which load your rifle will like is to work up in .3 or .4 grain increments, from MIN to MAX, stopping when you get the accuracy you want or you start to see signs of pressure.

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    Thanks. All I was wanting was a good starting point. And the incriminate level as well. So I appreciate that. I appreciate all the info thus far.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    My favorite medium burn-rate rifle powder, hands down, is H4895. It is incredibly versatile and has shown good to exceptional accuracy in several cartridges for which it is well-suited.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Well when I had my 10FP the best load I had worked up for it was 42.1gr Varget, 168gr Sierra HPBT, with a COL of 2.808. But Like I mentioned to you before you need to load to "YOUR" rifle. Our loads may or may not work. An to get your COL you or (I) needs to measure your chamber an see were your lands fall at. Savage has some variation in chamber length from what I've read. But I can help you with that. Bottom line is, start at the absolute lowest end an load up from there. Just be prepared to spend some time finding what your rifle likes, Im into about two months with my Howa an still developing :D

Top Bottom