• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I am working on putting together an alarm for my house. The biggest hurdle that I am trying to overcome now is the monitoring. I would like to self monitor, but depending on the company, options, and pricing I might go through a monitoring company. I am not wanting to go through someone like ADT or Brinks that want to install their "free" system and charge $50 a month. So what I would like to know is who does your monitoring, what they monitor/do, and your monthly. If they had the capability to either call multiple numbers or even better send out an SMS (text message) to multiple numbers when the alarm is triggered that would be great. I would be looking for someone that could monitor Brownsburg if that matters.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Thanks, but I was hoping to get some actual input from people that used the services.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    So what I would like to know is who does your monitoring, what they monitor/do, and your monthly.

Brinks. The alarm system came with the house, so all we had to do was pay a small fee to get it re-activated, plus our monthly.

When they get an alarm signal, they first attempt to call the house. If no one picks up or the person who answers does not give the code word, the PD is called. Our master panel is also equipped with Police/Fire/Medical Emergency panic buttons. They have lots of options/features to choose from (motion/acoustical sensors, window trip switches, cellular backup line, remote keypads, etc etc), and we've been pretty satisfied with the service.

Our monthly fee is $27.99, but will be going up to $29.99 in March (first increase in the 5 years we've had the system).

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Monitronics. If a sensor is tripped (door, window, motion detector) they use the phone line to listen through the built in intercom. If they hear someone, they ask for name and password. If name and password is incorrect, they dispatch police. If they don't hear anything, they call us on our cell phone after they dispatch police. They also monitor our smoke detector. Costs $34.95/month.

strongcrow

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy Central
    Monitronics. If a sensor is tripped (door, window, motion detector) they use the phone line to listen through the built in intercom. If they hear someone, they ask for name and password. If name and password is incorrect, they dispatch police. If they don't hear anything, they call us on our cell phone after they dispatch police. They also monitor our smoke detector. Costs $34.95/month.

Yeah, I got "duped" into getting rid of ADT and going with monitronics for a 3 year contract. I'm now back with ADT. I live in the "ghetto" and I sleep lots better knowing I am alarmed. Monitronics made "promises" that they couldn't keep, so it was a long 3 years to get out of it. Just my experience, yours might be different. fwiw:dunno:

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I would go with ADT or Brinks becuase they are a big name. An alarm company is one you want to be there when you need the most!!

Either way, be sure you contact your insuracne agent, you sould get a discount for having the alarm.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I bought a home this summer with an alarm installed, the forums at the link below helped me add sensors, and program. Read the forums for review of the independent monitoring. It is $8.95 a month. If you pay more than that you are paying for the "free" install and equipment everyone else gets.

Professional Affordable Alarm Monitoring only $8.95 month

I've seen that before and did some reading. From what I've seen it is about 50/50 as to the service. Some people say that it is the most basic that you can get and they had no idea until they needed it.

Top Bottom