For When SHTF, Would You Prefer Soft Body Armor or Hard Body Armor?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    OK, tell that to my wife. She is 60 this month, last week her best was 19 out of 25 clays from her Red Label, she hits quail as good as I do with a Wingmaster. Wouldn’t want to be downrange from her with a short bbl. pump gun with 00 Buck. Also wouldn’t want to be the one to tell her to “stay” when the ugly hits home. I do agree with you though, just not gonna happen in my case.
    Count your blessings that your wife's health allows her that option.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Idk nothing about shtf but for larping Gucci gear like some hesco l210 or guardian 4s17m’s are the way to go. No heavy steel it slows you down for pictures and doesn’t look as good. Soft plates don’t fill out a carrier right anyway

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I dunno man. With food shortages on the horizon, that gut may help out. (At least that's what I'm hoping for myself :cool:)
    Oh for sure. I would actually advise TO put on ten pounds right now if you're still able to maintain fitness levels.

I have and I made sure my son and the Mrs did too. We won't be short for a while but I'd rather not risk it should we somehow lose our supplies.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have both, in several configurations. I wear soft a lot. I have a heavy carrier that has plates, backed by soft, with side coverage as well. I'd say if I HAD to choose one, I'd pick my heavier soft vest with the ceramic trauma plate and call it done.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Trauma Doc ( Family ) told me really fat people have the best body armor. He has been amazed what a heavy layer of fat does to slow down a bullet.
    Can help a lot with stab wounds as well, unless they use a really long blade. A bouncer :): I knew years ago was stabbed multiple times (iirc at least 4 maybe more) with a 6" blade hunting knife, no internal organ damage.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    There's a company called Safe Life Defense that makes a soft, flexible armor that's rated NIJ Level 4, equivalent to hard plates.
    I don't know how to put a link in from my phone, but they have many testing videos up on the Tube, so they should be easy enough to find.
    Looks like a very interesting concept.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Soft. Something basic that defends against pistol calibers and hopefully cutting edge weapons as well.
    Most soft body armor provides little protection against stabbing penetration; it's strictly to spread the impact (and therefore, the penetration) of bullets.

Personally, while I'd prefer to have the newer polyethylene plates, or even ceramic plates, steel Level IV plates are what I can afford, and I'm prepared to accept the risks of spalling from bullet impact.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom