• ...and so much more!
  • JustGone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    In the PRK now =(
    Dies the Fire - S.M. Stirling

I read this a while back and loved it. I thought Stirling did a good job of creating the story and how different people responded to the SHTF scenario that is the main antagonist in the story. :yesway:

Synopsis

The Change occurred when an electrical storm centered over the island of Nantucket produced a blinding white flash that rendered all electronic devices and fuels inoperable. What follows is the most terrible global catastrophe in the history of the human race---and a Dark Age more universal and complete than could possibly be imagined.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Sounds good, I'll give it a try.

I just finished THE ROAD by Cormac McCarthy. IT too is an end of the world senerio where society breaks down. Food for thought.

Glocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds good, I'll give it a try.

I just finished THE ROAD by Cormac McCarthy. IT too is an end of the world senerio where society breaks down. Food for thought.

I've had that book for almost a year now and just getting into it about 25 pages in so far and really liking it. But I think the movie is coming out too with the guy that was Batman! Hopefully I'll finish the book before the movie comes out otherwise I might just watch the movie instead.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Glocker: THE ROAD is a very fast read. You'll have it done waaaay before the movie comes out.

JustGone: Have you read the sequel to DIES THE FIRE? When looking it up on Amazon, I noticed the second book and wondered if I should get them at the same time? It's called A MEETING AT CORVALLIS

Royal-1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Noblesville
    For what it's worth. The wife is reading the S.M. Stirling series. I think she is on the third one now. I could not get her to read Patriots but she picked up these on her own. I have yet to read them but found info on them and I'm happy she is reading some "Self Help" books now vs the typical romance novels she had been reading in the past.:rockwoot:

JustGone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    In the PRK now =(
    No Dryden, I have been wanting to get to the book store and buy the second one for a while now. I think there are like 6 books to his series I got a lot of readin to catch up on lol

I am gonna have to check out The Road. I love these end of the world type books. =)

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    No Dryden, I have been wanting to get to the book store and buy the second one for a while now. I think there are like 6 books to his series I got a lot of readin to catch up on lol

I am gonna have to check out The Road. I love these end of the world type books. =)

Just to let you know, Cormac McCarthy is the author of NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN. If you liked or were intrigued by the movie, he does the same thing in THE ROAD. No preaching, no assumptions, no guilty/innocent people, ...just random life, without the explaination.

duke

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    pea shooter, I agree Atlas Shrugged is well worth the effort, and has lots to say about our current situation. On an interesting side note, there's been talk about it being turned into a movie with Angelina Jolie.

JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    I listened to Atlas Shrugged over the summer. Recently, I have gotten hooked on Audible books. I can take in some really good books, while getting some work done. Atlas Shrugged was over 50 hours long. Well worth the read/listen. Patriots was a good read, but, sadly, many of the SHTF books are not available in audio yet.

Top Bottom