• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Below are some observations that I made during the Combative Pistol portion of the class this past weekend during drills and scenarios.. I hope the others will comment. They are to the best of my recollection. Please feel free to correct me.

• No head shots were reported
    • A high percentage of the rounds struck the hands/arms because they were between the good guys muzzle and the bad guys body, not because the good guys reported focusing on the weapon as is so often talked about.
    • Rounds striking the hands/arms would likely cause structural damage that may be effective in stopping the mechanics of the attack but slow to cause death.
    • The vast majority of hits were accomplished without using the sights because the bad guy never had the time or distance to get the sights between his eyes and the threat.
    • No one reported being able to close one eye when they and the attacker were both moving.
    • Once a shooter has both hands on the gun they seldom release the weak hand even to defend against an attack.
    • Under stress, the traditional draw stroke goes out the door because of movement.
    • Under stress don't be surprised if you get a whole hand of concealment garment wrapped around the grip of your pistol during the draw. The only way to correct it is by using your other hand.
    • At contact distance you will need to create time and distance with open hand combatives to allow you to draw your pistol.
    • Fixating on drawing your pistol is conditioned response that can be fatal.
    • Once your strong foot is back during the draw you are likely to stand still or move backwards.
    • Having two hands on the gun severely limits movement.
    • One hand on the gun opens up your field of vision and allows natural movement which allows for economy of motion.
    I am sure that others will chime in.- George

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Agree with all points. On this one ...
    The vast majority of hits were accomplished without using the sights because the bad guy never had the time or distance to get the sights between his eyes and the threat.
    ... not so much a correction as an add-on: substitute good guy for bad guy, or both.

Hope you don't mind the tangent of additional comment on the open hand and improvised portion. Although my wording may not be an adequate description, I'm excited and rather biased about something I consider very important and useful for everyone.

At contact distance you will need to create time and distance with open hand combatives to allow you to draw your pistol.
    I would add as an expansion on this point

- Effectively counterring the angle 1 attack (and/or the straight blast to the head) automatically -- without "thinking" (or rather over-thinking, causing lock-up) -- is one of the most, if not the most valuable skills learned so far. This is especially useful for those situations where a firearm is either not available, or its use is not warranted or legally defensible. From there, other possibilities present themselves and can be built on.

- Moving forward outside at angle is best, but it's great to have simple, effective options inside when you take what's been offered or you are already there for whatever reason. Control/neutralization of limb(s) at angles instead of task fixation/struggle on the horizontal plane allows, for example, one of smaller stature to decisively counter one of larger size.

This, IMO, cannot be learned by reading words on a page or watching videos, though they may have some limited value in sparking interest or motivation to seek actual training and testing. It must be carefully ingrained through direct physical contact.

Last edited:

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Someone PMed me abou"
    "Once your strong foot is back during the draw you are likely to stand still or move backwards"

We have three responses to a threat, fight, flight, and freeze. Our untrained mind would normally prefer to run away, usually by turning to our reaction side (cleverly named) and running. Our trained gun carrying mind is used to our strong side foot stepping slightly back when our hand goes to our pistol. If the threat does not require the pistol to be drawn, those without other skills usually freeze. If we were we were never taught to be armed with a pistol then the fight would take place by us standing our ground or moving forward to counter attack.

We realize through training that that our pistol gives us distance. But because of square range training it is unsafe to go forward of the line, but we still want to get away from the threat so we basically run backwards or shuffle step with our strong side foot. Doing this with both hands on the gun is slow, clumsy, and uncomfortable. Unless there is a reason not to, we have found that the best defense against a threat to the front is to move in at a hard 45 degree angle to our left and their right (for a right handed shooter). It takes us to our natural reaction side and away from theirs.

We continue to evidence this by doing a 15 foot instead of the 21 foot drill, by stepping hard to our left as we draw one handed to engage the target and using the off hand to perry the attack, most only suffer a slash to the outside of their arm or no contact at all. Those who draw into a two handed grip stand still, back peddle, or move a little forward. They all end up slaughtered although it may be a mutual slaughter.- George

Top Bottom