• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    It was a response to a gentleman who said "So now all Mexicans are cartel member?" I felt that was inaccurate and responded accordingly, although it would have taken less thought and effort for me to just type "Huh?". I may try that next time...It seems easier...Thanks..

You should have read the post that that question was in response to. I was not suggesting that all Mexicans were cartel members. I was posing that question to the gentleman who DID suggest that.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    You should have read the post that that question was in response to. I was not suggesting that all Mexicans were cartel members. I was posing that question to the gentleman who DID suggest that.

I was the gentleman and I did not "suggest" all mexicans were cartel members. I was pointing out in the early part of the 20 century we had armed mexicans attacking US citizens and now we have armed cartel members crossing the border...Why make the leap that all of them are cartel members just because I pointed out that armed cartel members are crossing the border? That's like someone saying "We have got coyotes killing game animals in Indiana." and some PETA member going "Oh so you think ALL coyotes are killing game animals?" No little naked chick with the "I would rather go naked than wear fur" bumper sticker your chest, but we DO have coyotes killing game animals in Indiana..Why do YOU think that all of them are killing our game animals??

I hope this explains...I suggested nothing (just stated facts) but you made the leap that all Mexicans were cartel members...Again...That's a pretty big paint brush and not very accurate...I understand your frustration and animosity towards illegals but that kind of broad brush rhetoric does not help us with this issue...Hate is not a family value...Just sayin'...

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I was the gentleman and I did not "suggest" all mexicans were cartel members. I was pointing out in the early part of the 20 century we had armed mexicans attacking US citizens and now we have armed cartel members crossing the border...Why make the leap that all of them are cartel members just because I pointed out that armed cartel members are crossing the border? That's like someone saying "We have got coyotes killing game animals in Indiana." and some PETA member going "Oh so you think ALL coyotes are killing game animals?" No little naked chick with the "I would rather go naked than wear fur" bumper sticker your chest, but we DO have coyotes killing game animals in Indiana..Why do YOU think that all of them are killing our game animals??

I hope this explains...I suggested nothing (just stated facts) but you made the leap that all Mexicans were cartel members...Again...That's a pretty big paint brush and not very accurate...I understand your frustration and animosity towards illegals but that kind of broad brush rhetoric does not help us with this issue...Hate is not a family value...Just sayin'...

:rofl:

I see what you're trying to do, and it's comical. Sadly, if you would just have understood the meaning of a question mark at the end of a sentence, you would realize that your attempt to project your beliefs onto me is futile.

usaf64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    I was on IFD for 30 years. What we did/do is respond to many types of out-of-control situations. We relied on training and experience to make quick decisions, often in life-threatening situtions.

It seems to me that knowing a little Spanish is a win-win situation. It's a win for the people we are sworn to protect and serve, and it's a win for us because we can do our job more efficiently and safer. People who go into the fire service are usually the type of people who love a challenge. They'll be getting paid to learn a language which is becoming more important all the time. It's no different than being trained to lay hose, raise ladders, and tie knots. Not to mention the advantage of speaking/understanding the Spanish words for various body parts and medical conditions.

About 1986, when the Pan Am Games came to Indianapolis, a lot of us took several weekly classes in Spanish. I really enjoyed it. It's nice to be able to ask for my check in a Mexican restaurant in Spanish. You'd be surprised how pleased the server will be when you also know how to properly pronounce the name of the dish you've selected.

During the Pan Am Games the only time I used the Spanish I learned was to advise one of our visitors "Senor, no fumar in aqui." I got a big kick out of it and it spurred me to learn more. I also took a conversational German class back then. I was in the Air Force Reserve and we were going to Germany for our summer camp. Can ich die speise carte sehen?.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    11 pages (@ 20 posts per page) of a lot of folks close to foaming at the mouth basically saying,

"This is 'Merica gawldammit...all them damn ferriners needs ta learn ta speak English!!!"

...and not one, not a single one of these Oxford Professors of English Language and Literature/Defenders of All Things 'Merican caught the oh-so-ironic and thus oh-so-EPIC FAILS!!! present (in red) in the original post:

The news tonight [STRIKE]says[/STRIKE] reports (1) that Indianapolis firefighters are going to be FORCED to learn Spanish. What country do we live in, and what is our ONE official language? (2) I've got a novel idea, why don't we FORCE anyone who chooses to live in [STRIKE]thus[/STRIKE] this country to learn [STRIKE]Englsh[/STRIKE] English?

dog-stupid-of-this-magnitude.jpg

It's almost one of the incommutable Laws of the Universe that "He who vociferously rants about the poor English ability of immigrants/foreigners on the Internet will do so in a post that inevitably and ironically contains poor syntax, poor grammar, punctuation mistakes, spelling mistakes, or a combination thereof."

Having a similar appearance as the object of his derision, Mr. Pot should neither talk 'smack' about, nor throw stones at Mr. Kettle from inside his glass house when he sees Kettle strolling past on the sidewalk!

:twocents: :ingo:

Notes:
    (1) As an abstract and inanimate idea/concept that is incapable of speech, factually speaking "the news" cannot "say" anything, so "reports" should be used here, not "says".
    (2) This has already been covered by others, but just as a reminder/refresher, the answer to the question of, "What is (the United State's) one official language?" is:

. . . .

...Note that it is not English, and it is certainly not "Englsh".

Last edited:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

There are two (2) concepts that I fully support.

Concept #1) Every person is better off learning more than one (1) language.

Concept #2) English should be our official language and every person who will reside in the United States should be strongly encouraged to learn English.

I believe that our great nation has benefited tremendously from the diversity of hundreds of cultures, backgrounds, and ethnicities who have come to live in our county. For each and every one of them to hold on to their culture and heritage is a positive benefit for them and us. They should take pride in both where they have come from and where they have come to live.

So I am in no way supporting giving anything up or disparaging people of diverse backgrounds. Rather, I welcome them.

But I welcome them in English.

We need a standardized language not to demean people but to uplift them and us. Our ability to communicate with each other is paramount to overcoming problems. Failure to communicate is one of the largest impedements to success.

We need everyone to be able to read warning labels, to understand medical information, to call 911 for help, to deal with their neighbors to resolve problems in constructive ways. A single language is paramount to this ability.

I am against compelling people to attempt to learn another language beyond English. Not because it is not a noble idea, but because we have no criteria for it to stop. What I mean is this: at what percentage (or number) of a population do we attempt to force public servants to learn a new language? Say there are 100,000 Spanish speakers in a community. Do we then force emergency workers to speak Spanish? Let's say we do. What happens when 100,000 Estonians move in? Do we force emergency workers to learn Estonian? What about Albanian? Who do we discriminate against? Because if we force our emergency workers to speak Spanish to help people why not force them to speak Burmese in Fort Wayne? Fort Wayne has one of the largest populations of Burmese outside of Burma in the world. What about Farsi or Arabic in Detroit that have high concentrations of this ethnic group there.

As we have no way to keep our emergency (and other) workers in class 8 hours a day learning other languages we must therefore encourage those coming to a community that already has a majority language, English, to learn it.

I would also encourage every American to learn another language. It broadens horizens and facilitates understanding. But I would also encourage every American to promote a national language for the United States. The easiest one is English. That said, if a consensus were made that everyone must learn to speak Swahili, so be it. Let us choose one language for one nation to promote the ability of all to communicate their likes, dislikes, praise and criticism.

Our failure to choose one language for one nation will facilitate an internal weakness that must be resisted.

Buenos Dia! Bonne journee. Guten tag. Ming La ba. Salam.

Regards,

Doug

Last edited:
    Top Bottom