• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pearlman1966

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Have an 03 Ranger with 4.0 keeps destroying alternators. Replaced 3 since October. Any body have an idea what is going on?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    What goes bad on them? Bearings or they quit charging?

Make sure the grounds are clean.

Also, where are you getting the replacements? The cheapest ones from the parts stores can be a problem. Might pony up for a local rebuild or a new one from Ford.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Perform a voltage drop test with a dvom between positive output of alternator and positive battery post... Should be less than .2 volts with engine running.. So set meter to dc volts and put one red lead on alternator and black lead on battery positive terminal.. Excessive voltage drop will cause alternator to overcharge because the regulator will sense voltage less than optimal.. Causes excessive heat buildup in alternator causing an untimely early death.. Also voltage regulator connector fitment if loose can allow for irregular charging...

pearlman1966

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    What goes bad on them? Bearings or they quit charging?

Make sure the grounds are clean.

Also, where are you getting the replacements? The cheapest ones from the parts stores can be a problem. Might pony up for a local rebuild or a new one from Ford.

Stop charging
    oone was from Advance the other was from Autozone.

pearlman1966

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Perform a voltage drop test with a dvom between positive output of alternator and positive battery post... Should be less than .2 volts with engine running.. So set meter to dc volts and put one red lead on alternator and black lead on battery positive terminal.. Excessive voltage drop will cause alternator to overcharge because the regulator will sense voltage less than optimal.. Causes excessive heat buildup in alternator causing an untimely early death.. Also voltage regulator connector fitment if loose can allow for irregular charging...
    What would cause excessive voltage drop?

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    What would cause excessive voltage drop?
    When a voltage drop test is performed, you are testing a live , loaded electrical circuit.. Since measuring resistance on a live active circuit is unreliable you instead perform a volt drop test .. This will tell you if there is excessive resistance to electrical flow on the positive power output circuit of the alternator.. I would wager it is this or an issue with the voltage regulator connector at the alternator.. High resistance will cause voltage drop

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I had the same problem on my F250. Long story short, it was the battery. I had it tested and they kept saying it was ok, but it wasnt ok. I think it was having plates touch sometimes and not other times. Had 2-3 places check battery and all said it was ok...but after taking alternator to guy in Indy to rebuild and him tell me nothing was wrong with it, I just changed battery, everything worked then.

Are them alternators testing out bad? How long do they last and does your idiot light come on or does it just not start?

Good luck. I hate truck repairs.

pearlman1966

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    I had the same problem on my F250. Long story short, it was the battery. I had it tested and they kept saying it was ok, but it wasnt ok. I think it was having plates touch sometimes and not other times. Had 2-3 places check battery and all said it was ok...but after taking alternator to guy in Indy to rebuild and him tell me nothing was wrong with it, I just changed battery, everything worked then.

Are them alternators testing out bad? How long do they last and does your idiot light come on or does it just not start?

Good luck. I hate truck repairs.
    The other was driving when it broke down last time. She said no lights came on just quit on 67 in Pendleton. Had it towed back to house. The alternator before this one may have been bad from the store. I returned it but of course they didnt have another had to go to anothe parts store to replace. This one lasted about 2 weeks. I think I may go get a good battery and a Ford alternator see if that works.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The other was driving when it broke down last time. She said no lights came on just quit on 67 in Pendleton. Had it towed back to house. The alternator before this one may have been bad from the store. I returned it but of course they didnt have another had to go to anothe parts store to replace. This one lasted about 2 weeks. I think I may go get a good battery and a Ford alternator see if that works.

The ones you get from both places are most likely crap cheap rebuilds from the same source.
    Go to NAPA and get a quality piece.
    Check all of the connections down to the ground strap.
    Watch the volt meter when you drive it and engage accessory's like the AC and heater blower. They are huge power drains. MAX A/C setting really draws some current. Watch the gauge, if it falls under 13V that is pulling to hard on the system and your issues are there.

pearlman1966

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Meanwhile the Silverado I drive for work has been in the shop 15 times since company bought it in Feb 2015.

Walk to the front of the vehicle, right about in the center you'll find the problem. If you have trouble finding it, they have circled it for you. ;)

Top Bottom