• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I came across this case while doing some research. I thought that it was interesting enough to post here:

DANIEL KRIBS, Appellant-Defendant,

v.

STATE OF INDIANA, Appellee-Plaintiff.

No. 49A05-0904-CR-225

Court of Appeals of Indiana

December 14, 2009
    APPEAL FROM THE MARION COUNTY SUPERIOR COURT The Honorable Evan D. Goodman, Judge Cause No. 49F10-0806-CM-84947
    ATTORNEY FOR APPELLANT: JOEL M. SCHUMM Indiana University School of Law Indianapolis
    ATTORNEYS FOR APPELLEE: GREGORY F. ZOELLER Attorney General of Indiana, ARTURO RODRIGUEZ II Deputy Attorney General Indianapolis.
    BAKER, Chief Judge
    Appellant-defendant Daniel Kribs appeals his conviction for Entering a Controlled Area of an Airport with a Weapon or Explosive,[1] a class A misdemeanor, arguing that there is insufficient evidence supporting the conviction. Kribs raises two issues, one of which we find dispositive: whether the State failed to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he knowingly or intentionally possessed a handgun. Following a bench trial that resulted in Kribs's conviction, the trial court observed that Kribs was unaware that he had a weapon in his possession at the time of the incident in question. Given this finding, which we may not and will not second guess, we are compelled to reverse for insufficient evidence.
    FACTS
    On March 9, 2008, Kribs went to the Indianapolis airport with a loaded handgun inside the pocket of his jacket. He checked in for his flight and went to the security checkpoint, where he placed his jacket, two cameras, and a carry-on bag inside of a tray. The tray was placed on the conveyor belt and went through the X-ray machine. Kribs saw an employee call her supervisor and noticed the image of his gun on the X-ray machine. When an Indianapolis Airport Police officer arrived, Kribs admitted that he owned the jacket and the weapon. Kribs told the officer that he always carries a gun, for which he has a valid permit, and had placed it inside his jacket pocket that morning without realizing it and had forgotten that it was there when he entered the airport.
    On June 19, 2008, the State charged Kribs with class A misdemeanor entering a controlled area of an airport with a weapon or explosive. The trial court found Kribs guilty following a December 16, 2008, bench trial. At Kribs's sentencing hearing, the trial court made the following statement:

. . . I think that it may very well be in this case where [Kribs] did not understand, or he didn't remember because [the handgun is] such a part of his equipment, his life, his being every day, that he puts on just like he puts on his tie or his socks or something. I don't think there was malicious intent. But at the same time, I think that would always be a way to escape any culpability, and I don't think that the law permits that.​
    Tr. p. 27 (emphases added). The trial court sentenced him to thirty days in jail with twenty-eight days suspended. Kribs now appeals.
    DISCUSSION AND DECISION
    Kribs argues that there is insufficient evidence supporting his conviction. When reviewing a challenge to the sufficiency of the evidence, we neither reweigh the evidence nor assess witness credibility. Drane v. State, 867 N.E.2d 144, 146 (Ind. 2007). Instead, we will consider only the probative evidence and reasonable inferences that may be drawn therefrom in support of the verdict. Id. We will affirm if a reasonable factfinder could have found the defendant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt based on the probative evidence and inferences. Alkhalidi v. State, 753 N.E.2d 625, 627 (Ind. 2001).
    Indiana Code section 35-47-6-1.3 states as follows:

A person who knowingly or intentionally enters an area of an airport to which access is controlled by the inspection of persons and property while the person:​

(1) possesses:​

(A) a firearm;​

(B) an explosive; or​

(C) any other deadly weapon; or​

(2) has access to property that contains:​

(A) a firearm;​

(B) an explosive; or​

(C) any other deadly weapon;​

commits a class A misdemeanor.​
    Kribs argues that the State failed to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he knowingly or intentionally possessed a firearm and that he entered an area of the airport to which access is controlled.

Kribs argues that the State failed to prove that he knew he was carrying the handgun, emphasizing the general rule that "unless the statute defining the offense provides otherwise, if a kind of culpability is required for commission of an offense, it is required with respect to every material element of the prohibited conduct." Ind. Code § 35-41-2-2(d). The same statute defines "intentionally" and "knowingly" as follows:​

(a) A person engages in conduct "intentionally" if, when he engages in the conduct, it is his conscious objective to do so.​

(b) A person engages in conduct "knowingly" if, when he engages in the conduct, he is aware of a high probability that he is doing so.​
    I.C. § 35-41-2-2(a)-(b).
    Here, the undisputed evidence offered at trial established that Kribs forgot that his handgun was in the inside pocket of his jacket when he entered the security checkpoint and placed it on the X-ray machine's conveyor belt. Kribs contends that whether he should have known that he was carrying a handgun is beside the point; the State is required to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he actually knew that he was carrying the weapon.
    Had the trial court remained silent, we would likely have affirmed Kribs's conviction. In such a situation, we could have inferred that the trial court did not believe Kribs's version of events or that it gave more weight to the evidence highlighted by the State that Kribs always carried the handgun in his jacket pocket. We would not have second-guessed such an assessment of the evidence.
    As noted above, however, the trial court stated that it believed that Kribs "didn't remember" that he had the handgun in his possession when he entered the airport and that there was no "malicious intent" involved. Tr. p. 27. We agree with Kribs that "[m]ere forgetfulness does not satisfy the knowledge or intent requirement set out by the statute." Reply Br. p. 3. The trial court observed the witnesses, weighed the evidence, and concluded that Kribs was unaware he had the handgun in his possession when he entered the airport and placed it on the x-ray conveyor belt. Under these circumstances, we can only find that the State failed to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Kribs knowingly or intentionally possessed a handgun at the time of the events in question.
    The judgment of the trial court is reversed.
    BAILEY, J., and ROBB, J., concur.

---------
    Footnotes:
    [1] Ind. Code § 35-47-6-1.3(1)(A).
    ---------

IN
    Slip Opinions

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I've carried a gun day and night since I was 20, 10 years of that on duty. I've only really notice when it's NOT on me. The only time I really notice I'm carrying is lately when I notice that a 1911 is kind of heavy and makes my back hurt sometimes.

While I won't address whether or not I've ever forgotten I had a gun on and realized I was in a place I shouldn't have, I can see how it can happen. Shouldn't happen, but I can see how it would.

IMHO, the appellate court ruled correctly.

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Thanks for posting -- I'd seen that one when it came down, but had forgotten it. Nice to see mens rea still sometimes matters, though it's also an object lesson in how expensive one absent-minded moment can be.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I don't have an issue with either courts descion as I could make an aurgument for both sides. My only issue here is the bolded portion below:

"Kribs argues that the State failed to prove that he knew he was carrying the handgun, emphasizing the general rule that "unless the statute defining the offense provides otherwise, if a kind of culpability is required for commission of an offense, it is required with respect to every material element of the prohibited conduct." Ind. Code § 35-41-2-2(d). The same statute defines "intentionally" and "knowingly" as follows:​
    (a) A person engages in conduct "intentionally" if, when he engages in the conduct, it is his conscious objective to do so.​
    (b) A person engages in conduct "knowingly" if, when he engages in the conduct, he is aware of a high probability that he is doing so."

If carrying a gun was that ingrained into him that he honestly puts it on or in his pocket as he would put on his socks and shoes then I would say there is an aurgument that he was in fact aware there was a high possibility he was in fact armed at the time and should have checked to insure he had secured it prior to entering the airport's secured area.

yogiboobooranger

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.1%
    53   1   0
    May 16, 2008
    La Porte
    I go along with the Appellate court ruling that it was the Court's responsibility to prove negligence and they failed to do so!! And with that he was mighty lucky he got away with one!

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I could see how it could happen, I carry a knife on me all the time and there are times Ive gone into a club and the ******* security guard treats me like a criminal when he pats me down and finds my knife, its just so common for me to do that YES I realize when Im getting ready to go out or for work or for whatever Im puttin my knife in my pocket HOWEVER its not in my mind I have it until I need to use it or some ******* yells at me for having it in the club.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I could see how it could happen, I carry a knife on me all the time and there are times Ive gone into a club and the ******* security guard treats me like a criminal when he pats me down and finds my knife, its just so common for me to do that YES I realize when Im getting ready to go out or for work or for whatever Im puttin my knife in my pocket HOWEVER its not in my mind I have it until I need to use it or some ******* yells at me for having it in the club.
    Are knives not allowed in this club?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If your such a dumb:moon: that you "forget" that you have a handgun in your jacket, that in its self proves the negligence part.
    Are you saying that you've never forgotten something? I find that very hard to believe. With a firearm (especially a small one) in a jacket, its much easier to forget that you have it than if its on your hip; its much less noticeable in a jacket. I can easily see where he forgot he had it. If he was in a hurry to catch his flight etc. and it was a smaller gun in his jacket, I can see it.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Are you saying that you've never forgotten something? I find that very hard to believe. With a firearm (especially a small one) in a jacket, its much easier to forget that you have it than if its on your hip; its much less noticeable in a jacket. I can easily see where he forgot he had it. If he was in a hurry to catch his flight etc. and it was a smaller gun in his jacket, I can see it.

to me, thats like saying i forgot i was driving a 900lb car.

situational awareness, right? :laugh:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana

Sorry, but I ALWAYS know where every one of my guns are at, at all times and what condition they are in loaded/unloaded, etc.

But what the heck thats just me. :rolleyes:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    to me, thats like saying i forgot i was driving a 900lb car.

situational awareness, right? :laugh:
    Well its pretty obvious when its a 900 lb car. Its all around you, and its large.

I think a more comparable example would be to forget that you put $20 in your coat pocket and found it 2 days later (or even more for that matter). Like I said, if he was rushed, and it was a small gun, it would be very easy to forget that it was still in his coat.

Sorry, but I ALWAYS know where every one of my guns are at, at all times and what condition they are in loaded/unloaded, etc.

But what the heck thats just me. :rolleyes:
    But have you ever forgotten anything? Ever forgot you had money in your pocket? It would be just as easy to forget a gun in your jacket pocket if you were in a hurry.

I find it funny that all you guys can sit here and armchair quarterback and pass judgement on other people when nobody is perfect. We all make mistakes and we all goof up occasionally, to call him negligent because he forgot is just ignorant IMHO.

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I find it funny that all you guys can sit here and armchair quarterback and pass judgement on other people when nobody is perfect. We all make mistakes and we all goof up occasionally, to call him negligent because he forgot is just ignorant IMHO.

:+1:

People forget things. I'm sure you've walked outside from being somewhere and forgot where you parked, but yet how do you loose a freaking car, Its one of the most expensive things you own, and yet you loose it.
    Its sad that he is getting charged for it, and you know they are gonna make an example of him and charge him. Law says Knowingly, he didn't know.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I can believe that this person forgot that he had the handgun in his coat pocket, and didn't mean to take it with him to the airport, let alone put it on the x-ray belt where it would obviously be found. I do, however, have a large problem with him forgetting that he had a gun on him. If you don't remember that you are armed, then you are not armed. What would have happened if this man had been the victim of a car jacking on the way to the airport? Since the case clearly establishes that he forgot that he had the firearm on him, he then would not have been able to use it do defend himself. He renders the firearm useless due to carelessness and a bad memory.

Forgetting that you are armed is a dangerous, reckless act. You put yourself in danger because you forget that you have a tool to help you defend yourself. You also put others in danger. What if instead of going to the airport, this man was going over to a friends house. He gets there, the friend takes his coat, and puts it in a bedroom or in a closet. The friends son is playing around and finds the handgun in the coat. If this man forgot that he had a handgun on him when going to the airport, who can say that he wouldn't forget it in other situations? If instead he remembers, as he should, that he has a handgun with him, he then takes it out of the coat and puts it in a secure location, preferably on him. The son is then playing around and finds .... nothing. Everyone is now safe.

I've seen classes offered on how to retain a firearm during a fight. This man didn't even retain his firearm walking out of his house, driving in his car, or going into the airport terminal. Retaining your firearm, to me, means having control of it at all times. He didn't have control of it because he forgot it was there.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Well its pretty obvious when its a 900 lb car. Its all around you, and its large.

I think a more comparable example would be to forget that you put $20 in your coat pocket and found it 2 days later (or even more for that matter). Like I said, if he was rushed, and it was a small gun, it would be very easy to forget that it was still in his coat.

But have you ever forgotten anything? Ever forgot you had money in your pocket? It would be just as easy to forget a gun in your jacket pocket if you were in a hurry.

I've been a gun owner for a very long time and again I have never forgot where any of my guns were. Yes, I have forgotten less important things, but I wouldn't classify guns as that. So once again I do consider someone who "FORGETS" he has a gun in his jacket pocket as negligent, sorry if that makes me ignorant.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    forgetting a gun isn't negligent? let's add another hypothetical. Joe Blow forgets his gun is in his coat pocket and lays it over the kitchen chair. Joe's kid comes along, finds the gun and BOOM- tragic accident. was Joe Blow negligent because he forgot where his gun was?

renegade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    IN
    I carried into a hospital once. It was the night I took my father after he had his second stroke. I didn't even think about the fact i was armed. My mind was on other things at the time. It wasn't until We had him checked and were in the waiting room waiting for info from the doctor that I even thought about it. So Under some circumstances I can see forgetting about it.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I forgot a knife once while crossing airport security. They made no big deal about except to say it was not allowed. They even stored it for me until my return flight back home.

A congressman from Evansville once forgot about a gun, he then lost the next election.

I am glad this turned out ok for the guy, but he was DANG lucky no doubt.

Top Bottom