• ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I'm (hopefully) getting all my paperwork from the dealer on the two HTA suppressors I recently bought (a Guardian 9 and a Kestrel 556). Next step is fingerprinting and CLEO sign off, then it's off to the NFA branch with $400 of my hard earned money.

While I was at it, I was thinking about throwing a Form 1 into the mix and just writing an additional $200 check.

So here are my options for a Form 1 SBR:

1. Vector Uzi - very easy to convert, just need to buy a 10" barrel. If I can find an Uzi mount for my MIMS, then I'm all set to put my Coastal can on it.
    2. Coharie CA94 - shouldn't be too bad to convert. Mine is a 3 lug with a fake can pinned on. I think it shouldn't be too bad to remove. Less good options on the can front, though. I think I can find an adapter (3 lug to 1/2x28 or something).
    3. FN PS90 - most difficult to convert, will have to send it out to be cut and threaded. The Kestrel 556 will work great on it.... if I could ever find ammo for this gun. I've owned it for several months and still haven't fired it.

So what does the peanut gallery think? (I'm sure someone will suggest all 3, but then we are talking $1000 all told for NFA taxes... that's getting a bit steep).

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    That's a tough call!! All three make for cool SBR's. the Uzi and HK are both smooth shooting subguns and the FN is a neat little guy too! I've shot all three in full auto and it'd be hard to choose between them. Since you already have all three it makes it even harder to pick. Depending on what else you already have, I'd go with whichever one you like to shoot the most. Either of the 9mm's would be cheaper to shoot more. I didn't realize that 5.7 ammo was impossible to find right now, but that should enter into your decision making process.

Not trying to sway you but here's a video of my SBR'ed Vector with a Thompson Machine Isis in it....

http://youtu.be/pb09JoOkUck

Good luck on your choice!!

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    If you don't already have one, a SBR AR-15 is also another option (always glad to help another board member spend MORE money ;-).

I would consider the Vector and do the markings on the barrel for your name and city. As highlighted over the last few years by BATFE, a SBR is the system of the short barrel, receiver and/or stock to assemble said system, thus with the long barrel back on you can still take the Uzi across state lines (w/o 5320.20 and/or into non SBR states) plus loan to close friends and family.

If you had test fired and planned on keeping the P90, would have said that one instead, or most likely both ;-).

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Thanks for the advice.

Honestly, the Uzi was my front runner. It's just the flat out easiest to convert, given I can swap barrels in about 2 minutes. I didn't know about being able to engrave just the barrel. With that, the Uzi is a pretty darn good option.

I thought about building an SBR AR, but given how unreliable my M4gery is currently, I'm filled with AR loathing at the moment (I got a new PSA upper with a supposed 5.56 chrome lined chamber, hoping it would shoot steel reliably, but I'm finding it doesn't, which ticks me off since my Galil and my FS2000 work great with steel, so I've taken to leaving my AR at home). Maybe I just need to bit the bullet and buy a good quality AR. The prices have come down recently.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    My Uzi has the vector markings at the very top of the reciever side so the top cover mostly covers it up. Remeber you probably won't be able to use an SMG barrel in your SBR. Unless the restrictor ring and all have been removed.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    My Uzi has the vector markings at the very top of the reciever side so the top cover mostly covers it up. Remeber you probably won't be able to use an SMG barrel in your SBR. Unless the restrictor ring and all have been removed.

Yeah, I was thinking of a Green Mountain replacement barrel. They have a threaded and non threaded

10.5" UZI 9mm Semi Auto Non Threaded

I already have a MIMs 1/2x28 mount for my Coastal can (along with a 7/8x9), but I'd probably lean to the non-threaded barrel, if I can get an Uzi mount. I like the look of a subgun can on the Uzi when it uses the barrel nut mount. Considering my can was an Uzi .45 suppressor before someone converted it for the MAC-10 I bought it with, I would think I could find the Uzi mount.

pipelinen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Demotte
    ::I would do the ps90. With Federal now making ammo I believe it will become more readily available. I have been thinking about doing mine. I have the small arms review which Jeff Zimba illustrates the different options in doing it yourself if youre interested. Of the guns I have it seems to get most of the attention from others. :ar15:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I feel the same way about the barrel nut mount. The one I got from gemtech cost about twice what a thread job would have but it looks so much better! With the Isis-9 on there it's about like having a 17" barrel, but being aluminum, it's weight is still centered pretty well between my hands. Mine is a factory SBR, so I have no comparison to a 16" barrel, but with the stubby 10.5" on there it handles really well.

Yeah, I was thinking of a Green Mountain replacement barrel. They have a threaded and non threaded

10.5" UZI 9mm Semi Auto Non Threaded

I already have a MIMs 1/2x28 mount for my Coastal can (along with a 7/8x9), but I'd probably lean to the non-threaded barrel, if I can get an Uzi mount. I like the look of a subgun can on the Uzi when it uses the barrel nut mount. Considering my can was an Uzi .45 suppressor before someone converted it for the MAC-10 I bought it with, I would think I could find the Uzi mount.

Gordy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Newton Co.
    I have been thinking about form 1ing my PS90. I carry it around the ranch for coyotes and it sure would be a nice handy package if it had the 11.5" barrel. I'm pretty certain you can just go to an FNH dealer and order it with your form 1 or direct from FNH. I have also thought about suppressing it and porting the existing barrel and using a slip over suppressor like the SR25 can.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Decided to go for the simplest route for my first form 1. I just filled out the paperwork for my Uzi and I'll be taking it downtown for CLEO signature tomorrow.

Now I can finally start my half a year wait. :coffee:

Honestly, with my patience level, I'll probably have started the Form 1s on the other two, plus bought another suppressor or three by the time the paperwork finally comes back on this current batch.

This NFA stuff is too addicting.

Top Bottom