• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven
    My son just shipped off to Fort Sill last Tuesday and starts basic next week. Just wanted to hear from anyone that has been there. Any of you that remember the 6 years that my daughter served know that you will get tired of hearing about my son. Lol. Go Army!!!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I did basic and AIT there back in 1990. Most everyone on post referred to Lawton as the armpit of Oaklahoma, not a great town but not all that different from a lot of town outside of military installations. A lot could have changed since then.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I did basic and AIT there back in 1990. Most everyone on post referred to Lawton as the armpit of Oaklahoma, not a great town but not all that different from a lot of town outside of military installations. A lot could have changed since then.

I lived in that "armpit" for many years and I believe your assessment of Lawton is extremely unfair to armpits!!! I still have family in the area down there so am down there a couple of times per year. Fortunately they don't live in Lawton but on occasion we do have to go to "town". Every time we go there I am amazed at what a **** hole that town has become. The lakes around the area are nice though I doubt Sartwell jr. will see much of them.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Basic and AIT there 86-87. The Basic facilities were newer and more modernized than other areas at the time.

Time spent on the strip in Lawton was much like an excursion to a seedy carnival back then. I don't know anything about the surrounding area.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I did basic there as well, and what they said is pretty much spot on. The base itself is pretty decent, Lawton can be a little seedy and shady; typical off-base town though, IMO. No biggie. Good luck to him.

Top Bottom