• ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Hey all,

The Fort Wayne USPSA club will be starting its Thursday night practices next week, April 2nd. We will be holding the practices on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month through October.

You can arrive anytime between 5:30 and 6:30 to sign up and shoot (we'll start shooting about 5:30). Start time is a little approximate as folks have to come from work. We will shoot until approximately 7:30. The cost is $5 per night, or you can sign up for the whole season for $30.

The range will be run according to USPSA safety rules (cold range, use of safe tables, etc). Each session we will set up different shooting drills or portions of stages designed to work on various match or shooting skills.

This is a good opportunity for people new to the game to see what USPSA is about, become familiar with how matches are run, try out gear, or ask questions and get tips from our experienced members in a low stress, no-scores environment. We have a lot of fun, too!

Occassionally, due to our work/family commitments, or sometimes even weather, we have to cancel. Please watch here or our facebook page for any cancellation notices.

For more information...
    www.facebook.com/fwuspsa
    ftw_uspsa@yahoo.com
    www.fwrr.us

-rvb​

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I have a couple of things I'm considering doing this year, so I welcome your feedback/thoughts....

1) Several folks have approached me about helping with their skill development. I'm considering doing a "class" as part of this where if you wanted, each night, or monthly, or whatever, I could go over some skill, and we could practice it. It wouldn't be any extra cost. I would probably do ~1hr of "class" then 1 hr of regular practice. Each week would somewhat build on the last, starting w/ some shooting fundamentals, then draws/reloads, then entering/exiting positions, some stage breakdown, etc...

Since not everyone would want to do that, I'd have to have enough RO's to keep two bays going. some weeks that's easy, some weeks it's not. So I'm still trying to think through the logistics.

2) I'm considering making a 1-stage classifier match, maybe once/month. My thought is we'd set up a classifier, everyone shoots it ONCE for official score (we're not trying to grandbag everyone in the club), then we can shoot it again for practice. There would have to be an additional cost for that. If you don't get to shoot a lot of matches or want more chances to get classified (eg in a different division than normal, etc), this could be an opportunity. There are a lot of great skills that get exercised practicing classifiers.

These are just ideas for now. I'd like to hear your thoughts. I have no problem just doing things as we always have. If you have other suggestions to make the practices more worth while, I'm open to them.

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Oh, I also thought of a fun season-long competition, comprised of a whole bunch of off the wall events, one event per practice. Closest to the center of the paster w/ a single shot, fastest split time, most plates hit before a miss, fastest reload, most steel knocked down in a time limit, highest HF on a bill drill, most As on a 100yd target, etc. Points awarded each week and tallied at the end.... I'd have to think of some kind of prize to go w/ it...

-rvb

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I like most of those ideas! We talked about holding official classifiers last year but never did it. With the rule change and the fact we don't need SC approval, lets do it! Would give people a chance to get classed with a new gun or play in a different division than normal. I should be good to go for the 2nd and we can kick ideas around on the range :)

The idea of "classes" would be great but I can see an issue of RO availability, etc.

Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    If you can get me up to speed with the whole RO thing you won't have an issue with not having enough. I am usually there every practice.
    LOVE all the ideas!
    My only suggestion is that we get more rounds down range at each practice. When I practice on my own I normally go 300 + rounds. I know that we couldn't get close to that, but just a point of reference. I am down to help out any way I can. My schedule at work is a bit more free than last year, and the new kid isn't going to be arriving until October ( GOD willing ) So I have some free time to pitch in.

I would be super excited for the "classes"....Daddy needs to make a two class jump this year, and this new blaster is giving me fits!

BRING ON THE SHOOTING!!!!!!!!!!!!

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    In the past, round count has been 100 or less. Really, its a matter of how much YOU want to shoot. Some guys show up to shoot whatever drill it is a couple times and leave after shooting 25 rounds. Other guys want to run it 15 times and shoot well over 100. So bring what you want to shoot!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    One MILLION rounds of ammo.

3998596-dr-evil.jpg

or, < 200.

really depends on
    1) how many folks show up and
    2) what type of drills we do.

-rvb

Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    Thanks for all the help!
    I like the drills too. I think that is a much better way to do it. Having a clear idea of what to work on really speeds things along.
    Too bad only the hardcore folks made it out last night. Maybe the turnout will be better when the weather gets nice.

Combsie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Spencerville,IN
    Would've loved to have been there, being a grownup sucks. You know you're hooked when you have an intense battle going on in your head over whether or not to call in to work/practice or not!

Top Bottom