• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    Figured I would pose that question as to how many of you have ever needed to utilize the forward assist on a AR-15, M-16 or M4? I have carried or owned one of the above mentioned rifles since 1988 and have never used the forward assist. Do you think they are really needed on the rifle or would you rather pull the charging handle and trying again as a means to clear the malfunction?

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    i have used it before...but then i did a little tweaking with the rifle now the FA is just another cool looking doodad on my cool black gun

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i helped my nephew build a ar. i told him he would never use the forward assist but it didn't hurt to have one. it would figure the first trip to the range first mag we had to use it 3 or 4 times

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I use it everytime I chamber a round after getting out of the truck when I'm coyote hunting. Won't have an AR without it, just aint right without it.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    It's nice to have the ability to be able to move a rifle bolt manually, both ways for what ever reason. For example, extreme cold, mud, sand, and debris from continuous firing can be a challenge to fully seating the rifle bolt.

This is one of the strongest basic design features on the M1 garand, M14, Galil, and AK47/74 rifle.

That is the shortcoming and possibly the achilles heel on my FAL and PTR rifle bolt system. The user has to rely on a strong spring to slam the bolt forward even in less than optimum operating conditions.

Just to operate my PTR in normal operations, you have to use the HK slap to make sure the bolt is in battery. If you do not release the bolt hard, you can see where the bolt is not fully closed. This is in clean conditions. lol

I first learned this lesson with my HK91 back in the 80s. A forward assist would have been nice. lol

I have seen FALs fail on dirt and mud tests with Larry Vickers videos, because the bolt would not fully close and there was no way to manually close the bolt.

Does this happen all the time, probably not, but it is nice to have all of the bases covered to keep the rifle working. Why chance it?

The forward assist on the AR design was/is a smart and necessary modification for just in case.

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    For silent, ninja mode charging, you don't want to just let the bolt crash forward with all that associated noise.

I mean, imagine needing to chamber a round in a library. ;)

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I use mine quite a bit to close the bolt after confirming a live round is in the chamber. I've also used it to close a bolt when I've intentionally slowed the bolt by riding the charging handle.

I haven't had to use it to actually get the bolt to lock-up after it failed to do so on its own from the buffer spring.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The AR platform already had a forward assist before Big Army made them stack another one on. See the divot in the bolt that looks like a cut out for your finger (index or driving finger of your support hand)? That's the forward assist.

You can sport it up with the one Big Army stacked on it, but it just adds weight and is something else to get in the way. Maybe some people see it as a security blanket but training renders it feckless.

Do you think they are really needed on the rifle or would you rather pull the charging handle and trying again as a means to clear the malfunction?

Not needed.

If the weapon will not go bang, you probably dicked up the safety because you are so super tactical that you don't need a manual safety on your pistol as it is the new hotness.

If the safety is off and it won't go bang, load it. It's not right, unload it and reload it.

Don't touch the second foreard assist, you'll wedge that stuff in deeper.

The trick is the manipulation of the charging handle (this is the weak point of Stoner's design) as it will muck you everytime. Run the charging handle like it is radioactive as it is your ex-girlfriend and it wants you dead.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Why isn't your team of library ninjas ready to go?

What's with all the movie chambering stuff on your team, ATM?:D

The quality of library ninjas I've been able to procure in Indiana has diminished steadily ever since throwing stars were made illegal in the state. :(

Perhaps we could become a RTA* state?

*Right To Assassinate

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I never knew what that damn knob was for. Someone said "forward assist"

My only problem has been a reloaded case stuck. Locks up the rifle. Set the reloads asside. Don't know if its the reload, or just needing more lube.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I've just recently stepped into the AR world with the M&P 15 Sport and Smith and Wesson thought the Forward Assist was so unnecessary, they left it off.....

They also don't include a dust cover. I have fired about 300-400 rounds through it and I haven't had a failure yet!

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    It all depends on how hard you run it. I use the forward assist like insurance. When I'm coyote hunting and I dont just want to drop the charging handle I can baby it and then just tap that forward assist. I personally think it's important. As for the guy saying you don't need a dust cover lol good luck with that when you actually start getting dirty.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Immediate Action :SPORTS
    Slap
    Pull
    Observe
    Release
    Tap
    Squeeze

Yep, there it is, the reason Big Army demanded it and kept it.

You can sport it up with the one Big Army stacked on it, but it just adds weight and is something else to get in the way.

Smith and Wesson thought the Forward Assist was so unnecessary, they left it off.....

Ya know who else thought it was unnecessary . . . the guy that designed it.:D

I dont just want to drop the charging handle I can baby it and then just tap that forward assist.

Or, you could just use the original forward assist and push forward on the cut out.

The forward assist is something that exists for a poorly thought out reason and is in search of a reason to exist. . . much like most of the federal government.:D

Top Bottom