forward grips ARE legal on some pistols!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Well today I learned something that changed what I previously had been told and believed regarding the legality of a forward grip on a pistol (typically the AR15 with a sig brace or even just a pistol tube).
    When I heard the new info I had to lookup the NFA law and read it for myself to believe it. But I did!! WOW!! AWESOME!

so if your pistols overall length is at least 26" from BARREL to receiver extension end (aka buffer tube) , then you CAN LEGALLY run a vertical grip on your gun! However at this point you cannot conceal it. So no trench coats :):

if you look for the answer on the atf site you will be intentionally misled to believe its illegal period. They carefully worded it. Read the whole LAW, and not atf FAQ.

keep in mind it's the end of the barrel that counts or if you have a non removable pinned muzzle break.

Heres a lawyer that breaks it down. There is still a lot of misinformation out there even from class III dealers and FFL's. Read the law for yourself. It's clear. OAL 26" equals legal pistol forward grip. Under 26" OAL equals illegal.
    Can you add a vertical fore-grip to an AR pistol? | The Law Office of John Pierce, Esq.

this post was meant to offer info to my fellow gun owners.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Yup, over 26" it is still kind of a pistol, but it is classified as a "firearm" since it looses the "concealability" or a pistol.

Over 26" VFG is GTG

Under 26" VFG requires AOW and $200 tax (might as well SBR it), but the Magpul AFG is okay, and so is installing a bipod and only having 1 leg down.....

If you're running a 10.5" barrel and want a VFG, get a KAK tube, they're longer than usual (support of the PSB) and gets your OAL over 26"

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Yeah, a 11" barrel is usually the magic length but it can depend on somethings like what this guy is saying ^^^ and pinned breaks/flash hiders etc... I have known this for awhile but what I have actually been curious about is how it pertains to a sigbrace and it then being able to be shouldered as it's no longer a pistol but rather a firearm with the 26" in overall length. Is that what he is referring to in the article at one point?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yeah, a 11" barrel is usually the magic length but it can depend on somethings like what this guy is saying ^^^ and pinned breaks/flash hiders etc... I have known this for awhile but what I have actually been curious about is how it pertains to a sigbrace and it then being able to be shouldered as it's no longer a pistol but rather a firearm with the 26" in overall length. Is that what he is referring to in the article at one point?
    Even with a sig brace it doesn't become a "sbr" according to the atf until it's shouldered.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Under 26" VFG requires AOW and $200 tax (might as well SBR it)

isnt AOW only a $5 tax?

Looking it up and seeing some conflicting opinions. Like if you make an AOW on a Form 1 it's $200 but if you get an AOW transferred to you on a Form 4 its $5.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    isnt AOW only a $5 tax?

Looking it up and seeing some conflicting opinions. Like if you make an AOW on a Form 1 it's $200 but if you get an AOW transferred to you on a Form 4 its $5.

$5 to transfer, $200 to manufacture. He above post is correct. $200 + ATF approval to mount a small piece of polymer to the rail of a gun.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    So, can u shoulder a 26.1 inch "firearm" since it's no longer strictly a pistol.??
    (Talking about using a sig brace, with OAL of 26"+, but WITH a sub-16" barrel...)

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

So, can u shoulder a 26.1 inch "firearm" since it's no longer strictly a pistol.??
    (Talking about using a sig brace, with OAL of 26"+, but WITH a sub-16" barrel...)

This is what I was trying to say...

Top Bottom