• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vernw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Dallas now born Indy
    Lyman makes a 45 caliber black powder cartridge crimp die that seems to work great on my 1.8" Indiana legal 45-70 cases. Just wanted to pass that along....

I got mine from Midway for under $30.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Can I ask what the reason is that you need a Taper crimp with 45-70 cases ?

I use a Mecham Inline bullet seater, with his seater there is no need to Bell the case neck, and with that no need for a Taper Crimp.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I don't own any Lee factory crimps. I shoot 1.8 also either in a Browning B78 , BPCR 1885 or a 1886 Browning. I shoot cast bullets..
    What rifle are you using it in ?
    So you are just seating your bullets at the normal over all lenght for 45-70 ?

vernw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Dallas now born Indy
    Yes, I'm using the standard length for the Hornady 325 FTX rounds in a Marlin SS Guide Gun with a ported barrel. Not real impressed with the load yet, tried pulling bullets from factory rounds and using the weight verified powder in shortened cases but no consistency at all. Going to try some 1680 reloads next but it's not a high priority for this year. For one thing the stock comb is way too low for the dot sight I have to use due to my 63 year old eyes.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Yes, I'm using the standard length for the Hornady 325 FTX rounds in a Marlin SS Guide Gun with a ported barrel. Not real impressed with the load yet, tried pulling bullets from factory rounds and using the weight verified powder in shortened cases but no consistency at all. Going to try some 1680 reloads next but it's not a high priority for this year. For one thing the stock comb is way too low for the dot sight I have to use due to my 63 year old eyes.

1680 is kinna fast for me, I tend to use slower burning powders in 45-70. I would also start my load development with the bullet seated and crimped [ either with a roll or taper ] and see how well it preforms jumping a little. It would worry me that when cycling a lever i would loose a bulletin the tube or action and have a powder mess much less than maybe a missed shot on a deer or other animal. I say that because the free-bore that Browning leaves in its single shot rifles is excessive to say the least. I can easily jump a 1/4" with my cast 520 grain Postells without any loss in accuracy.
    i would post my loads for you Sir but my Browning's can handle 38,000 + psi and the Marlins are about 10,000 psi less.
    I would like to shoot a ported SS Marlin like you own one day. I like the idea of ported and stainless.
    Please post what you come up with.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Hahahahaha.. Thanks, but I said shoot, not own.. I have a affliction for those big heavy Browning levers. Your Marlin is a desirable rifle to own.
    A few more posts and you can put it in the classifieds here. Price it right and it will move quickly I believe.

Top Bottom