Found the best gun friendly Wally world yet!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Stopped by a regular old Walmart (ie not a super walmart) in nearby Clinton, IN.

I was surprised at a number of things:

1) ammo shelves well stocked, and some less common ammo on the shelves, such as lots of older lever gun ammo, 458 socom, 454 casull etc, and they had a good selection of handgun ammo including a lot of "Personal Defense" labeled rounds (winchester SXT anyone?).

2) They had the most rifles/shotguns of any walmart Ive ever been in.

3) tons of accessories. Not a lot of high end stuff, but they still had a lot of common stuff.

4) and this is what really got me: They had TONS of reloading equipment and supplies. Brass, primers, presses, powder of all types, and all the books you could want.

Just thought I would share.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    My sister in law has worked at Wal Mart forever and she told me that each department manager can order and stock whatever they want, within reason and as long as it sells. I went to one in Ky once that the dept manager must have been a gun collector b/c it had nice Winchester and Weatherby rifles in the little display turnstyle thingy. I asked about them and the guy said the manager ordered stuff he wanted and when it didn't sell within the prescribed time he'd mark it down a buy it! Most Wal Marts I've been in recently don't even have any guns.

PS; Wonder if it also had anything to do with it's proximity to Illinois?

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    Vermillion county has allot of good people in it. Also keep in mind that Rural king is Wal Marts major competitor out there. I think I will have to stop in the next time I am in the area.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I hear each Walmart stocks what sells. Around the Indy area the shooting supplies, etc. does not sell very well so we dont get the good stuff. I need to move.

I have a difficult time believing that shooting supplies anywhere wouldn't sell. If Wal-Mart sold reloading supplies at prices lower than other shops, I think they'd have a hard time keeping stock in.

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    My sister in law has worked at Wal Mart forever and she told me that each department manager can order and stock whatever they want, within reason and as long as it sells. I went to one in Ky once that the dept manager must have been a gun collector b/c it had nice Winchester and Weatherby rifles in the little display turnstyle thingy. I asked about them and the guy said the manager ordered stuff he wanted and when it didn't sell within the prescribed time he'd mark it down a buy it! Most Wal Marts I've been in recently don't even have any guns.

PS; Wonder if it also had anything to do with it's proximity to Illinois?

1. I need a new job, I could flip the hammond wal mart on it's head. I don't think I would get too far, the store manager and I have bickered about carrying before.

2. that would be awesome to buy something you want, watch it not sell, then buy it yourself after marking the price down yourself, lol. I could smell trouble though.

3. I don't know if proximity plays a factor in it. Hammond Wally does not sell guns anymore. Schererville Does. The Schererville store is literally straight south of the Hammond store, and I'll bet it's the same distance from The Republik border. I think it might be neighborhood.... I think Hobart/mall area store sells guns, I can't remember at the moment.

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    I have a difficult time believing that shooting supplies anywhere wouldn't sell. If Wal-Mart sold reloading supplies at prices lower than other shops, I think they'd have a hard time keeping stock in.

Yep, I'd believe that too. But, again, I'll bet it's gonna deal with neighborhood. I think the little 'bangers here in North Hammond wouldn't touch the stuff, leaving people like me and Prometheus to go broke buying our little hearts out. If they did, we would have alot more Kbs me thinks. I've met plenty of people here, who you can just tell would not pay proper attention to the task at hand.

Last edited:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Stopped by a regular old Walmart (ie not a super walmart) in nearby Clinton, IN.

I was surprised at a number of things:

1) ammo shelves well stocked, and some less common ammo on the shelves, such as lots of older lever gun ammo, 458 socom, 454 casull etc, and they had a good selection of handgun ammo including a lot of "Personal Defense" labeled rounds (winchester SXT anyone?).

2) They had the most rifles/shotguns of any walmart Ive ever been in.

3) tons of accessories. Not a lot of high end stuff, but they still had a lot of common stuff.

4) and this is what really got me: They had TONS of reloading equipment and supplies. Brass, primers, presses, powder of all types, and all the books you could want.

Just thought I would share.

Like the old song says...... "Oh what a difference a day makes". I bought a few boxes that I normally wouldn't have because I made that haul, but they are pretty much cleaned out except for the older odd-ball stuff. Oh, BTW... if anybody has a .22-250, they have a pretty good supply of both loaded ammo and bullets and even some empty brass. :rockwoot:

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Noblesville no longer even has guns. Ammo, but no guns.

It's like that in most of the urban areas, get out away from Indy and you'll see them selling guns and ammo. I figure as long as we keep buying ammo from them as soon as it hits the shelves, they'll keep stocking it.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    We have 4 WalMarts in Elkhart County (I think at last count). 2 of them sell guns. All of them sell ammo. I haven't noticed any reloading supplies but I don't go to them very often.

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    I wish my Walmart sold guns. The Walmart near me sells very limited ammunition/cleaning/accessories items. I usually only go there for .22's and shotgun shells. However they were $2 cheaper on cans of GunScrubber and RemOil than BassPro. Which they very recently started carrying, I have never seen those items there before untill the past month.

jfw46544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hot Springs Village, AR
    We have 4 WalMarts in Elkhart County (I think at last count). 2 of them sell guns. All of them sell ammo. I haven't noticed any reloading supplies but I don't go to them very often.

Which ones are they?

I don't think any of the St. Joseph county stores do, just ammo.

following2dp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    Noblesville no longer even has guns. Ammo, but no guns.

This is how I ended up with a brand new Henry .22 for $180. I was happy, except when the guy pulled out his boxcutter to remove the plastic tie and scrapped a line into my bluing... that wasn't cool at all.

Maybe its for the best walmart does sell guns anymore? Certain walmart folk just don't know enough about them.

Top Bottom