Found the source for the 40% private sale stat...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    Nice find. The scary thing is that a lot of people will simply take him at his word. They'll believe him because it's what they want to hear / what they've been brainwashed into believing they need to hear.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The survey data was actually from 1994 and published in 1997 so it's even older than thought. That 40% number was related to acquisitions from family members or acquaintences not the shady guy at a gun show as they want you to believe. The article was actually amusing if you read around page 8 where they discuss the phenomenal amount of defensive gun use compared to the number of crimes committed with guns. The authors then have to spend paragraph after paragraph trying to explain how this might be wrong. :): Funny, I don't remember Obama mentioning this part of the study.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I looked through the NIJ archives but it doesn't appear this survey was ever replicated later on. In fact in reading through some of the minutes from a 2011 working group meeting (stacked with anti's I might add) they acknowledge that the data is almost 20 years old and likely not reliable.

Top Bottom