• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    this morning, around 10:30 am, i was in my garage packing things up to head into town to run a few errands like getting salt for the driveway, gas for the snowblower etc. i know, i should have gotten them earlier in the week, but ive been sick, and if my driveway doesnt get cleared, then i only have to hear it from the fiance, i can still get my car out. anyways, i live in a nice narrow valley outside of bargersville, with a few neighbors somewhat close by, i have met the nearest, the next over houses have not. a lot of is in the general area shoot, and being in a narrow valley with nice till hills on either side, everyone who wants to shoot has access to some very nice natural backstops. well, as i am gathering my things, i hear a handful of shots that definately sounded like a pistol go off across the street, first thought, cool, the neighbor wanted to light off a few, no big deal. then i hear the nice scream of a bullet flying through the air and then the nice loud smack of impact, sounded at first like it hit the front of my garage, at this point, adrenaline spikes to 11 out of 10, my thoughts immediately change from "cool" to "INCOMING!!!!!!!!" and i bolt behind both vehicles into the house, grab my AR and post up inside the brick entry way of our side door listening for anything else going on outside. my first reaction is, oh sh*t i am being shot at, get to a better location and get a better weapon than your sidearm. after things calm down a bit, rifle still on safe, bolt locked back (i have the magpul BAD lever, so being ready to go does not take long), i start thinking about what i heard. the round was tumbling through the air, i have heard that noise before when working the pits at atterbury during appleseed events. only one of the handful of rounds came my direction, so i am almost sure it was not intentional, must have been a ricochet off of something. i was inside the garage at the time, so anything would have sounded like it came from across the street, as all the walls of the garage are brick, could have come from anywhere. i wait out inside for a bit, make sure there is no more noise then go inspect the outside of my garage for hits, none found. i know i heard it hit something, but cant find it. i go about my day, get my salt and my gasoline for the snowblower and come home. going through my garage this evening, i found a nice hole punched in one side and out the other side of a center console i have yet to install in my car and a nice dent in the particle board wall behind it. looking on the floor below i find a FMJ round, appears to be .380. i weighed the bullet, 94.3 grains, definately .380. judging by the holes in the console and print on the wall, it HAD to have come from across the street. i went over there to say something, noone was home. will follow up tomorrow. scared the crap out of me, looking at what happened, i was only missed by about 5 or 6 feet at most.

moral of the story: BE AWARE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE FOUR RULES EXIST FOR A REASON, AND BREAKING THOSE RULES COULD POSSIBLY KILL SOMEONE!!!!!!!!!!!
    lessons learned: always be suspect of gunfire in your general vicinity, just because people have typically always been safe around you, does not mean someone will not have a lapse of judgement. my best guess at this point is that my neighbor got a new toy and decided to shoot one of the trees in his front yard which faces my driveway and one of the rounds kept going, even though he has a perfectly good berm in his backyard. when i seem them outside again, i will bring up my concerns and let them know what happened. i also learned that my brain seems to work ok under adrenaline and my first reaction of getting to better cover and better weapons knowing that the shots were fired at distance was correct and my gunhandling immediately thereafter was safe, thumb on safety and finger on receiver, not on trigger. think i am going to want to take a fighting rifle course of five at this point.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    I have been debating that. I hate to get the police involved when I really think this is something that can be solved locally without issue. However if it happens again the police report would be a good thing to have. Everyone out here keeps to themselves and I would hate to start a major issue on an otherwise peaceful area.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    NOT if it happens again. If your neighbors don't pay for the damages, you have no documentation that it ever happened. Time is wasting. stop typing and get a police report done NOW. you can thank me later. You might think its no big deal now, but when someone gets hurt or killed then you will feel aweful that you took NO steps to fix the issue this time. this is not a small matter, so stop treating it as such.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    I wouldn't confront anyone who is that stupid and armed. Police report.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Scary stuff. I'm glad to hear no one was hurt.

I had my own run in with the 4 rules today too. My brother in law has recently started carrying with a cheap belt and cheaper nylon holster. He has zero firearms training and was actually carrying the holstered gun in the front pocket of a hoodie today.

I was trying to steer the conversation to politely tell him he needed a better setup, since it's virtually impossible to quickly draw a gun out of a hoodie pocket. I thought I might be able to steer him towards a better rig and I have a couple extra holsters, I thought one might be a fit. So I asked what gun he was carrying. He proceeds to pull the whole package out of the pocket, I guess to show me :n00b: He pointed it directly at my midsection, muzzle sweeping me at least twice.

I told him to watch the muzzle, I didn't appreciate what he had just done. My 18 year old nephew was with us and said, "don't worry, it's got a safety." BIL then pointed the gun down to the floor. The problem was that we were on the second floor with a house full of kids celebrating my daughter's 2nd birthday directly below us.

I was pretty hot, but tried to stay polite. I will try and have a discussion about the four rules with him very soon. I'm nervous about him carrying at all since he has no training and basically carries an unsecured gun. He has a newborn baby as well as two curious young boys at home.. He says he has no money for classes or a better setup. I told him to lock the gun up until he made it a priority. I don't think I want him bringing a gun into my house again until I see he can demonstrate basic safety. Someone is gonna get hurt.

Sorry for the long post. Don't mean to thread jack.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I wouldn't confront anyone who is that stupid and armed. Police report.
    Stupid and armed, no good can come from this. That's why education is so important, cuts down on the stupid.

ASD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2013
    Southside
    Wow you and the shooter are lucky that round didnt hit you. Hope you find the guy so you can "talk" some sense into him. I also live in bargersville but out in the country and always hear shots from the neighboring farms/houses and I always wonder when I'm going to hear one come my way. I always make sure I can see what's beyond my target and make sure if I miss there's nothing to empty cornfields.

Last edited:

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    yes, very lucky. also very lucky that it did not hit any of the vehicles in the driveway, only hitting a plastic interior piece that i will probably never need to use and only put a small dent in the wall of the garage that i am really, truth be told, not concerned about in one way shape or form other than the fact that it was close call.

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    You have had enough post telling you that the police report is what too do, so make that police report before it is you instead of the console. Someone was negligent in the use of (THERE) firearm. Now you do the responsible thing and make a report before it's too late !!

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    i was definately talking about the property damage that i am not concerned about. i am definately concerned about the dangerous situation, i will be calling the county sherriffs department in the morning.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I have been debating that. I hate to get the police involved when I really think this is something that can be solved locally without issue. However if it happens again the police report would be a good thing to have. Everyone out here keeps to themselves and I would hate to start a major issue on an otherwise peaceful area.

On-record goes along way IF it happens again!

Top Bottom