• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    First noticed these little guys a little over a week ago, they have grown quite a bit since then.
    This is the first time I've seen them without momma standing guard over them. The Wife and I love watching them gonna hate to see them leave.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    After the female gives birth the male brings food as the female nurses the kits, I've only seen him once he's like a ghost. I've found dead rabbits and best of all a Canada goose carcass in front of the shed and it's all gone a few hours later. Below is a pic the first time I saw them outside this was about ten days ago you can see they have grown a bit and changed color.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I had one fox that was friendly to me at the Minnesota house. I called it little fox. It came by the house about every 3 days. Apparently the old owner fed it, as our introduction was me walking out of the garage one day to a fox sitting outside the door. They looked at me like "who the heck are you?" and walked away. Slowly they warmed up to me and I could sit and it would eat off a plate I was holding. It would eat a little, then take the rest as take out. If it saw my wife though it took off running. It did not like women apparently. It was interesting critter, and eventually if I called for it came(understood it was "little fox" and food was available).

eat n run.JPG
    I would come home sometimes and it would be waiting for across the road for my wife to go in and get a snack. waiting.JPG

One day it just stopped showing up and I never saw it again.

Move very slowly. Do not make loud noises. Anything unexpected puts them into flight mode. It was never a tame fox, but friendly and tolerant for food. Set out food in the same spot. Then one day sit about 10-15 feet from the food and just sit there(same time every day). Move closer after the first time they take the food with you visible the next day. Eventually you will be associated with the food, and deemed not a threat. Until one day you are holding the plate. After a week or so of that you can go for a very slow head scratch.

If I had that going on I would certainly try to befriend one of the kits lol.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My youngest brother bought and lived in a house just off of 106th and Keystone in Carmel. It was an older subdivision and he had a female who raised her young in his yard every year.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    My youngest brother bought and lived in a house just off of 106th and Keystone in Carmel. It was an older subdivision and he had a female who raised her young in his yard every year.

My grandfather had a female fox that raised her young on one of his properties, but she stiffed him on the rent.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We had 2 at our old house.
    One was sick and was coming at me when I was mowing the grass.

The second met me at the corner of the house. When we both realized what we were looking at we both turned around, never saw that fox again.

Our new place has one we see from time to time. He has been in our fenced in back yard, laying in our neighbors front yard like a dog who lives there.

Cool animals for sure.

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    View attachment 347976
    View attachment 347980

If I had that going on I would certainly try to befriend one of the kits lol.

I read it's not a good idea to feed them but I admit I did feed them some dog food the first few days after I first saw them just to help momma get her strength up after giving birth but stopped. I think the kits need to learn to hunt to survive.

I would love to befriend one of the kits but I'm gonna just let wild animals be wild and hope most of them survive.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Once or twice a week I see one as I turn in the driveway at work. He always darts across the lot and goes over by the tree line and sits and watches me as I get out of the truck and go in the building.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Never see them around here, even on the cameras. Locals have told me that they don't get along with yotes.

Top Bottom