• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Apparently according to Mike Searson at RecoilWeb.com........the rifling in your handgun barrel does not impart spin on the bullet! :n00b: :dunno: So that makes the Reformation OK...It's just like a handgun!

"Those of us who are rifle shooters know that the system of lands and grooves within a rifle’s barrel make our projectiles faster and more accurate. Longer or heavier bullets crave a faster twist rate for stabilization in flight.
    Franklin’s Reformation does not offer this.
    Neither does your handgun"

Franklin Armory's Reformation Revealed | RECOIL

Well, I guess all those companies who are putting rifling in their handgun barrels are wasting their money and time.

OR

You are making crap up trying to support a ridiculous idea that steps backward in firearm technology hundreds of years because that company paid a lot of money for a good review.

Having read the article without editing ("Neither does your handgun for the most part "), it doesn't appear to me he was saying pistols have no rifling or impart no spin. He is (awkwardly and confusedly to be sure) saying that with a Reformation you are not getting rifle accuracy, you are getting pistol level accuracy with a SBR-like firearm.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    All I know is that if rifling makes bullet faster, then more rifling makes bullets even faster than that.

I read that article. I can make up defenses for what it written, but as written, it was horrible. On par with INGO posts that drive phylodog nuts. This is what passes for professional writing.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Having read the article without editing ("Neither does your handgun for the most part "), it doesn't appear to me he was saying pistols have no rifling or impart no spin. He is (awkwardly and confusedly to be sure) saying that with a Reformation you are not getting rifle accuracy, you are getting pistol level accuracy with a SBR-like firearm.

OK...Let's break this down sentence by sentence.

"Those of us who are rifle shooters know that the system of lands and grooves within a rifle’s barrel make our projectiles faster and more accurate."

He acknowledges what traditional rifling does. Then he says...

"Franklin’s Reformation does not offer this."

He here informs us that the Reformation does not have traditional rifling. Then he finally adds...

"Neither does your handgun"

This sentence is immediately following the sentence above that says the Reformation does not have traditional rifling. As a reader, the only conclusion I can make is that handguns also don't have traditional rifling....just like the Reformation mentioned in the sentence directly above this one.

Either a handgun imparts spin to the bullet or it does not. It is illogical to state anything otherwise. Such as "for the most part". It is built into the design of all modern handguns to impart spin onto a bullet. Otherwise key-holing would be such a common occurrence that it would not be considered negative or detrimental. IMHO by the way this is written, either the writer does not understand firearms fundamentals, or he is trying his up most to put a positive and biased spin on a deeply flawed idea.

If he were to say something like "although typical rifle ammunition through the Reformation is not stabilized in the traditional sense, it can still provide the same level of accuracy as most modern self defense handguns." Then I could see that statement being logical.

But that is not what he said.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Is he saying that without the rifling, handguns would still be able to do this?

[video=youtube;zFd3kF6LHz4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFd3kF6LHz4[/video]

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I’m going to invent the rifled muzzle break. Basically like a rifled shotgun choke, but it will screw on to the 1/2 28 threads and put a spin on that little guy before he is forced out into the cold cruel world with nothing to stabilize him for the long haul.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    n8224vy.jpg

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    So the little AR not-SBR thing seems silly, but...

...could you put "straight rifling" on any shotgun barrel to make not-an-SBS?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    All I know is that if rifling makes bullet faster, then more rifling makes bullets even faster than that.

I read that article. I can make up defenses for what it written, but as written, it was horrible. On par with INGO posts that drive phylodog nuts. This is what passes for professional writing.

How'd I get drug into this end of the pool?!?!? :):

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    At ~$2000, wouldn't it be cheaper and a more accurate firearm to just build an SBR, put in a binary trigger (assuming they don't get made illegal), and pay the $200 tax stamp??? Plus, you would have a working pistol until the stamp came back, and you wouldn't have to buy special (more than likely expensive) ammo to get any sort of accuracy.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

OK...Let's break this down sentence by sentence.

"Those of us who are rifle shooters know that the system of lands and grooves within a rifle’s barrel make our projectiles faster and more accurate."

He acknowledges what traditional rifling does. Then he says...

"Franklin’s Reformation does not offer this."

He here informs us that the Reformation does not have traditional rifling. Then he finally adds...

"Neither does your handgun"

This sentence is immediately following the sentence above that says the Reformation does not have traditional rifling. As a reader, the only conclusion I can make is that handguns also don't have traditional rifling....just like the Reformation mentioned in the sentence directly above this one.

Either a handgun imparts spin to the bullet or it does not. It is illogical to state anything otherwise. Such as "for the most part". It is built into the design of all modern handguns to impart spin onto a bullet. Otherwise key-holing would be such a common occurrence that it would not be considered negative or detrimental. IMHO by the way this is written, either the writer does not understand firearms fundamentals, or
    he is trying his up most to put a positive and biased spin on a deeply flawed idea.

If he were to say something like "although typical rifle ammunition through the Reformation is not stabilized in the traditional sense, it can still provide the same level of accuracy as most modern self defense handguns." Then I could see that statement being logical.

But that is not what he said.
    Wait, I thought the whole point was that they are NOT putting a "spin" on anything... you know... with the straight rifling and all. ;)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    So the little AR not-SBR thing seems silly, but...

...could you put "straight rifling" on any shotgun barrel to make not-an-SBS?
    I think you would have a hard time getting around any "made from a shotgun" terminology that may be in the law you're trying to skirt.

That being said, a small, somewhat related situation. A few years ago an INGO LEO turned to us for help. He had arrested a guy found to be in possession of an HR Handigun. The HR handigun is an AOW (short-barrel, smooth-bore pistol) but was not classified as such until after they were produced. They were grandfathered with an amnesty so the rightful owners had a chance to register them at no cost. Many didn't even know about it though; it happened in the 1930s when NFA came about. This particular one wasn't registered. The LEO genuinely wanted to get this family heirloom back to the owner after he got his legal troubles straightened out. It was discovered that there is a company in Oregon that specializes in rifling these with very small "rifling" so they are no longer smoothbore and no longer fit the definition of an AOW. I don't know if the man ended up taking that route or not, but I hope he did (otherwise the gun was going to be destroyed).
    I’m going to invent the rifled muzzle break. Basically like a rifled shotgun choke, but it will screw on to the 1/2 28 threads and put a spin on that little guy before he is forced out into the cold cruel world with nothing to stabilize him for the long haul.
    I had the same thought; rifled, muzzle attachment, with progressive rifling if the transition from straight to rifled is too dramatic...

Last edited:

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I can appreciate a company trying to be innovative, but I can't see this taking off at the
    at price point with proprietary ammunition containing a bullet that looks similar to a shuttlecock. I also can't believe I actually used the word shuttlecock on INGO... SHUTTLECOCK :ingo:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think its getting more accurate as time goes on. You know, you have to break the barrel in first.

Top Bottom