• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bhunt31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Brazil
    About 2:30 this morning I woke up and heard what I thought was someone outside my house yelling "BANG!" The dogs started growling and my wife twitched a little, so I quietly got up, opened the safe, got my pistol, clicked the safety off and checked on the kids, then started clearing the house. When I was sure the house was clear I made my way quietly out the back door(furthest away from the noise) and started casing the house. I didn't find anyone anywhere. Went back in the house and just as I reached my bedroom I heard it again, then again. I followed the noise to my den where my pit/lab mix was sleeping and realized the noise I heard was her sneezing. Please tell me I'm not the only one who's done this before.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I heard your lab/pit mix sneezing once, and boy was I afraid it was going to wake you up!

Wait.

That's not really what you meant, was it?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Had someone pounding on our door in the middle of the night once after we moved into a new house. Happened several times during the night until I went outside with my mag light and a .45 and swept the grounds well while the wife had a shotgun back at the house. Next morning there was a flyer for the local ADTI installer in the mailbox. I installed my own camera system and had no problems after that.

Now I did have a Great Dane Doberman cross once who had gas nasty enough to wake himself up...he'd just give you a dirty look and move into the next room...

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Story time.

When we first moved into our apartment, my girlfriend was 6 months pregnant. She worked night shift and wasn't feeling well, so she called off. Come 0100, we hear banging on the front door. I jump up and start to head for the closet. I make it to the closet, hear the banging again. Grab my Glock, walk down the stairs to the front door. Open it up and a van is pulling away from the apartment. Turns out to be my girlfriend's boss and coworker (who helped us move) showed up to the apartment to make sure she was okay. They were informed by my girlfriend to never do that again because they almost had a Glock in their face.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Yeah, pounding on doors in the middle of the night rarely elicits a polite response...regardless of your intentions.
    Two years ago someone pounding on my door late at night, turns out the house two doors down was on fire and the house next to it caught fire, my house was next in line. Glad I didn't stick a Glock in their face.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Neighbor across road had guy beating on his door at 1am. Wifey dialed 911 to report and dispatcher advised units would be enroute. She asked them for approx. ETA or 10-20, and Dispatcher asked how she knew 10 Codes? She told the dispatcher that I was a retired LEO, was up, and hope they arrive soon. They did and guy had wrong house. No charges filed. Officers knocked on my door, Thanked for the call, left. Had a Glock 21 on the night table. Also Surefire light. Vigilant observer.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    About 2:30 this morning I woke up and heard what I thought was someone outside my house yelling "BANG!" The dogs started growling and my wife twitched a little, so I quietly got up, opened the safe, got my pistol, clicked the safety off and checked on the kids, then started clearing the house. When I was sure the house was clear I made my way quietly out the back door(furthest away from the noise) and started casing the house. I didn't find anyone anywhere. Went back in the house and just as I reached my bedroom I heard it again, then again. I followed the noise to my den where my pit/lab mix was sleeping and realized the noise I heard was her sneezing. Please tell me I'm not the only one who's done this before.

By "this" do you mean looking for burglars or being stunned by your dog's sneeze? :)

One night I heard someone running past my bedroom window. Then he ran back the other way. Then back again. At that house I had about five acres and so did all the neighbors, so it wasn't just somebody next door. I did have an idea of who it was, but just in case me and Glock went out the door together.

Sure enough, my horse had gotten out of his corral somehow, manage to get through a people-sized gate in the yard fence, and then panicked for some reason and was running up and down the yard, trapped by the yard fence. He would run right past the open yard gate, apparently in such a panic he didn't realize that was the way back to his comfy barn and corral. Took a few minutes to get him calmed down and back to bed.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Had someone pounding on our door in the middle of the night once after we moved into a new house. Happened several times during the night until I went outside with my mag light and a .45 and swept the grounds well while the wife had a shotgun back at the house. Next morning there was a flyer for the local ADTI installer in the mailbox. I installed my own camera system and had no problems after that.

Now I did have a Great Dane Doberman cross once who had gas nasty enough to wake himself up...he'd just give you a dirty look and move into the next room...

That's making for good business right there! Go pound on some doors the night before your add goes out and get all sorts of business... It's like door to door selling but slightly more dangerous!

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

I have done this several times when hearing something, but I never go outside. Haven't you seen enough scary movies when the babysitter goes outside in her tee shirt and panties, then the bad guy sneaks in or kills her?

Not really the reason I don't go outside but it was in my head so on the screen it went. I stay inside to use the house as my cover and safety. I have motion lights on all corners of my house, so any movement takes the lights from 20% power to full power. They are all converted to dim able Led's so the on at dusk and off at daylight is a low cost crime preventer and safety net. If they decide to come inside they picked the wrong house.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I have done this several times when hearing something, but I never go outside. Haven't you seen enough scary movies when the babysitter goes outside in her tee shirt and panties, then the bad guy sneaks in or kills her?

Not really the reason I don't go outside but it was in my head so on the screen it went. I stay inside to use the house as my cover and safety. I have motion lights on all corners of my house, so any movement takes the lights from 20% power to full power. They are all converted to dim able Led's so the on at dusk and off at daylight is a low cost crime preventer and safety net. If they decide to come inside they picked the wrong house.

Probably a really good idea for you to not go outside in the babysitter's tee shirt and panties.
    yay2.gif

Probably a better idea to not go outside in your own. :wrongdoor:

bhunt31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Brazil
    By "this" do you mean looking for burglars or being stunned by your dog's sneeze? :)

By "this" I meant heard a noise that you thought was someone outside your house and come to find out it was just you hearing things that aren't there. Sounds like you have. I thought maybe it was just my mind messing with me because of the guy they let loose in LaPorte the other day and that Russian book salesman guy that's been around my area.

bhunt31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Brazil
    I did have some things stolen one time and some ruckus with some drunks in the middle of the night. I also own a trailer park and my house is in the middle of the property, so, that stays in the back of my mind too. Usually it's pretty quiet with only 4 trailers, but I've had some problems before with some family members of tenants getting a few beers down and thinking 3am would be a great time to try to solve some family disputes.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Please tell me I'm not the only one who's done this before.

Heard a noise in the darkness of night and armed yourself in the defense of your family? Hell man. You did exactly as everyone of us has done at some point. How did you determine it was the dog though? I heard something one time (from my garage on the walkout basement level of my home) crash to the ground one night at about 2am. I grabbed a Mossberg 12 gauge and my full blooded pit bull and went outside to come into the garage through the exterior door. I always leave a light on in that garage and knew I'd have a tactical advantage of being able to see everything in the room from the cover of night. A bird had flown in and got stuck in the garage when I closed up for the night. Poor thing was flying around, trying to get out and knocked over some spray paint cans. Certainly freaked me out though...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    About 2:30 this morning I woke up and heard what I thought was someone outside my house yelling "BANG!" The dogs started growling and my wife twitched a little, so I quietly got up, opened the safe, got my pistol, clicked the safety off and checked on the kids, then started clearing the house. When I was sure the house was clear I made my way quietly out the back door(furthest away from the noise) and started casing the house. I didn't find anyone anywhere. Went back in the house and just as I reached my bedroom I heard it again, then again. I followed the noise to my den where my pit/lab mix was sleeping and realized the noise I heard was her sneezing. Please tell me I'm not the only one who's done this before.​

Glad you are OK. Do you have exterior lights? I've never had that happen to me, but I leave my exterior lights on all night. No problems.

Never had a Burglary where the lights are on in over 20 years. I'd rather flip a switch than use a gun any darn day.:D

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side

ROFL!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Exterior motion lights are well worth the expense of paying to keep them running. When we had our house built we told the electrician to put them on a separate circuit without a switch...we didn't want anyone being able to shut them off even accidentally. Paired that with night capable cameras and exterior doors with those little grated windows that you can open so you don't have to open the whole door to see what's outside.

For a home, the best defense is the one you have thought through ahead of time. And as BoR pointed out it's not running outside in the babysitters togs; ever.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    That's making for good business right there! Go pound on some doors the night before your add goes out and get all sorts of business... It's like door to door selling but slightly more dangerous!

Yeah, and a little too convenient. Didn't even wait for the regular mail delivery time...

Top Bottom