Free Float Handguards or stock clamp style?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    A rail system over a low profile gas block also offers more real estate for accessories and/or allows for support hand placement further forward on the rifle than hand guards.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    but wouldn't there still be pressure somewhat applied to the barrel at the upper reciever?

The barrel nut pressure is relatively consistent from shot to shot, while handguard pressure would be more volatile. As I understand it, the accuracy loss would be from the inconsistency in the flexing of the barrel when it is fired.

As has been said above, unless you need the extra real-estate for accessories or are trying to ring out the extra bits of accuracy there is normally not a need to move to a free-float system.

OTOH, I prefer free-floating my barrels whenever practical since mine are more likely to be used for hunting than in a SD role, so the extra bit of shot consistency "feels" more important to me.

I hate to say it, but IMO the more accurate the rifle (within reason) the more room there is in a given hunting situation for human error. To be more specific, if I have a 4-5" kill zone and a rifle/load combination that shoots 2moa, I have to perform my part w/in 1/2moa at 200yds in order to ensure a solid kill. OTOH, if I can modify the rifle/load combination to consistently deliver 1moa, I can add an additional 1-1.5moa of uncertainty (range & wind estimation, shot placement, lead for target movement, breath control, etc.) to the equation without needlessly jeopardizing the chances of a clean kill.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I like a free-floating rail so that I'm not needlessly stressing the barrel when the rifle gets banged around. And the added versatility of accessory and hand placement.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I see people say that you will not notice a change in the POI with a barrel that is not free floated but I beg to differ. Go to a range where you can shoot out to 200 yards or more. Shoot a 3 shot group using the magazine as a mono-pod and mark it. Now move to a stable sitting shooting position with a loop sling and your support hand wherever it needs to be and shoot another 3 shot group and mark it. Now move into a kneeling position and put your hand where it needs to be on the handguards and use your loop sling and do the same thing again. Make sure that you are using the same point of aim for all 9 shots and you will notice that you will have 3 different groups in different places on the target. I have proven this every year at the known distance shooting range for the marine corps. If you still don't believe me you can take a look at my shooting log book.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    My point is that you WILL notice a difference in accuracy IF you are capable enough to hold a tight enough group at a long enough distance (enough of the "enough?"). IF you are never going to shoot out past 100 yards you will probably never notice the accuracy difference you will get by using a free floating barrel.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    it is possible to have guards AND free float at the same time. one just needs to track down a national match free float tube liner.

Just to clarify for the OP - the purpose of such a product is to allow the barrel to free float while maintaining the service rifle "look" as required by certain competitive disciplines.

For those of us not subject to such rules, it's of questionable utility, plus it is generally not available in carbine length (which I gather from your previous thread, is what you have).

2698823.gif

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    Technically what happens is that the barrel vibrates or oscillates while the bullet is moving down the barrel and spinning on the grooves. At distances over 300 yards/meters or for any kind of extreme precision exercise you build your cartridge to make the barrel vibrate as consistently as possible. Part of this is to free float the barrel so that the stock or rail doesn't touch and interfere with this effect.

At shorter distances and non-competition this can be ignored and do what ever you like or need for its intended purpose.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I like a free float with flip up sights since I have an Aimpoint PRO. An A2 sight gets in the way, unless you have a gas block with a flip up sight. I can still co-witness if need be but the extra field of view helps.

Black Beauty

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Indianapolis
    well i have finally made a decision on a accessory rail system. i went with the Samson Evolution Series 7" extended Free Float rail. i can't wait to get it and see how much of a difference it makes.

Evolution-7EX.html

Top Bottom