• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mando-gunner-89

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Terre Haute
    I have been looking for a free float rail for my stag model 2 for a while now, I just wanted some more input on which one to buy. I have a budget of up to $250 but that is only if I need to go that high, and I want to keep my original barrel nut. I was thinking about the Samson Evolution series, I am going to cut my front sight post and make it into a low profile gas block and I want at least a 13 inch key-mod type rail. Is there anything out there that will fit the bill?

mando-gunner-89

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Terre Haute
    I didn't see any FF rails at damage industries and the Fortis REV looks awesome but I just want a rail on top and the option for a section of rail underneath for a magpul vertical grip. I don't plan on putting lights or anything fancy on it just want the lightest FF rail possible with out hurting the wallet or taking the whole barrel and barrel nut off. Thanks for the quick replies though.

mando-gunner-89

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Terre Haute
    i was planning on cutting the delta ring and spring off and there are a few out there that use the standard barrel nut. I just want to see every choice that I have before I drop that kind of money on a rail.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Think you'll have a hard time finding a 13"+ length handguard that weighs less than 11 oz and uses a factory barrel nut, much less one that also supports keymod.

The Fortis REV is still very light and their customer service is top notch.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Troy's Bravo rails use the factory barrel nut. I have a Bravo installed on my "Dream Build". I love it.

Admittedly, the aesthetics are not for everyone: (13" from AIM pictured)

XTSTRXBR113BT00A.jpg

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Troy SDMR keymod = std barrel nut (this one is probably closest to what you're looking for)
    Troy Alpha = std barrel nut

You want ultra light you'll have to consider proprietary nut products like...
    MI SSK
    BCM KMR
    Geissele SMR

mando-gunner-89

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Terre Haute
    Wow there are a lot of options out there. Thank you everyone for all of your input and suggestions, I am still leaning towards the Samson evolution rail, but the Rainier Arms rail does look nice.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Wow there are a lot of options out there. Thank you everyone for all of your input and suggestions, I am still leaning towards the Samson evolution rail, but the Rainier Arms rail does look nice.

If you look at the pictures of the Rainier one, it says Samson Evolution right on it. I didn't look very close before I posted that:facepalm:

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I have the Samson Evo Keymod rail and I think it fits your needs very nicely. Lightweight, rock solid, and mounts right to the factory barrel nut. Just chop off your FSB and delta ring and you are good. Very pleased with mine. When mine was ordered, Midway USA was the only company carrying them.

Samson Evolution Series KeyMod Free Float Handguard AR-15 Aluminum

FWIW, the Fortis Rev will be my next rail.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Top Bottom