• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I am needing a lot of mulch and does not have to be fancy and pretty. I need a couple of truck loads. Years ago Nipsco dropped off a truckload I am wondering if anyone has contacted them recently about this. Any other sources that would deliver in Lowell /CP/Cedar Lake area?

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    You might try calling some of your local tree-trimming companies. I get truckloads of wood chips from a small tree service delivered at no cost. They struggle to dispose of all that their chippers make.

I live in Montgomery County and the local landfill transfer station accepts yard waste from Crawfordsville. They always have a large pile of partially composted mulch. In the past, they would load vehicles but stopped offering the service. Now it's self-load.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    And yes, be careful but I've not had problems. The chips from the tree service are usually clean.
    It wasn’t that they were not clean, the decomposition sucks the nitrogen out of the soil and killed mature evergreen trees was the explanation I was given by the arborist I hired.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    It wasn’t that they were not clean, the decomposition sucks the nitrogen out of the soil and killed mature evergreen trees was the explanation I was given by the arborist I hired.
    Wow I didn't want to hear that. Much of what I want to use it for is around evergreens. I guess I need to to some searching but can you add any more info?

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Wow I didn't want to hear that. Much of what I want to use it for is around evergreens. I guess I need to to some searching but can you add any more info?
    The bacteria that break down the mulch (leaves, also) use up nitrogen and alkalinity. I feed my trees 12-12-12 several times a year and lime the yard around all my evergreens to keep grass growing. It's no big deal to supplement the ground.

Top Bottom