• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmcman355

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    I had to learn the hard way that they are more in need the right amount of water than they are feed.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Put a golf ball or two in each of their nests. Hens will sometimes stop laying if you take all their eggs every day. I guess some instinct kicks in and they'll either start hiding them (if outside chickens) or stop laying (if inside chickens). They aren't smart enough to tell a golf ball from an egg, though.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Put a golf ball or two in each of their nests. Hens will sometimes stop laying if you take all their eggs every day. I guess some instinct kicks in and they'll either start hiding them (if outside chickens) or stop laying (if inside chickens). They aren't smart enough to tell a golf ball from an egg, though.

the origin of the phrase "nest egg".

gmcman355

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011

Its no wonder they end up on everythings menu with their IQ

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    Ok the girls started laying again last Sunday , yee F*#cking ha . Store bought eggs suck
    So 2.5 months of nothing . Getting an average of 5 a day from 7 hens.
    Hens are under 2 yrs old . Have 2 ceramic nest eggs.

Last edited:

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    I have 6 chickens. 5 hens and 1 rooster(by accident). 2 Rhode Island Reds , 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Orpingtons. 1 of the Orp is brooding in 1 nesting box and will NOT leave. I'm unsure if she is setting on eggs or not. Other 4 hens lay then leave coop, but not this b***ch. Should I leave her alone? Make her get out and stretch? I have not even seen her out to eat/drink. Heck, she has me feeling sorry for her by feeding her while she's roosting :) I don't have a problem with her hatching chicks but I'm worried about her health???

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    I have 6 chickens. 5 hens and 1 rooster(by accident). 2 Rhode Island Reds , 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Orpingtons. 1 of the Orp is brooding in 1 nesting box and will NOT leave. I'm unsure if she is setting on eggs or not. Other 4 hens lay then leave coop, but not this b***ch. Should I leave her alone? Make her get out and stretch? I have not even seen her out to eat/drink. Heck, she has me feeling sorry for her by feeding her while she's roosting :) I don't have a problem with her hatching chicks but I'm worried about her health???

Update-for anyone who runs into same problem. The hen that was brooding in one box left after 2 weeks. I'm certain she got up periodically to eat/drink but I never seen it. She came out and hasn't been an issue since. I left her alone and she snapped out of her b***hy ways. She does have an odd feature compared to the rest of the hens. Here comb is smaller, almost smooth from front to back. Could this be a genetic feature or did she rub her head while confined in the nesting box?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Update-for anyone who runs into same problem. The hen that was brooding in one box left after 2 weeks. I'm certain she got up periodically to eat/drink but I never seen it. She came out and hasn't been an issue since. I left her alone and she snapped out of her b***hy ways. She does have an odd feature compared to the rest of the hens. Here comb is smaller, almost smooth from front to back. Could this be a genetic feature or did she rub her head while confined in the nesting box?

She must be the "RedHead".

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    2nd update- same hen is setting on egg(s) again. She's been at it for 5 days now.
    Question- if she is setting on fertilized egg(s) how long before they hatch?
    Will she ever get over her "brooding/motherly" actions?

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    Hatch is 21 days.

Broody chickens can be broke. I have a small plastic kiddie pool I dunk my broody birds in as soon as they show signs of going broody. A broody chicken does not lay while she is broody. The sooner you catch them is the easier to break them from their broody ways. The conditions broody hens need to become and stay broody is warm, dry, draft free. Another thing you can do is place a fan directly on them and they nest box. in serious cases I will place the wet hen in a wire bottom cage with a fan directly on her. I successfully break broody hens using these methods. Now keep in mind broodiness is a hormonal thing for hens. Once you break themit will still take them a few days before they start laying again.

On a side note. Depending on breed, some breeds go broody a whole lot more than others. Leghorns generally never go broody where Silkies and Cochins attempt to spend the percentage of their lives being broody. Always research the breed you get fully to make sure it is the best fit for what you are needing.

Top Bottom