• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    After years of wanting one, the wife and I finally broke down and ordered ours today. I will try to remember to post a review of sort and how we like it. Anybody on here have one, or have any tips, tricks, etc on their use?
    Congratulations, which brand did you go with?
    Research food storage and oxygen absorber packets.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    We went with the harvest right medium sized. It comes with Mylar and O2 absorbers, but I have some of those already anyway. We are pretty excited, we have talked about one for years as a way to have another option for food storage. We already can and dehydrate, so this will be a good add I think. The bummer is it will take 2-3 weeks to get here.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I’ve had a Harvest Right Medium since November, I’ve wanted one for years; a clearance deal at RP Home and Harvest pushed me over the edge.

Order tray lids, pre freeze everything in the freezer, Mylar bags need to be extra thick 7mil per side, tons of YouTube content, if you do Facebook, plenty of good groups, when it says it is done, it isn’t, add plenty of extra dry time.

Have fun.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    You lucky s.o.b.! Congrats! Its on my list. They are pricey but they open up a whole world of food storage over canning and dehydrating!
    We have been prepper ish for quite a while. In the sense that we have been trying to be as prepared and self reliant as possible. From what I can tell, this will definitely be a huge step forward for us. They are definitely expensive. When my mom offered to go in half with us, and we keep it at our house, my wife said to order it! We have a pretty good stash of thick Mylar bags already, bought from the LDS (Mormons) web site. Will need to get some more O2 absorbers though.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    We bought the medium in 2016 and stepped up to the large early last year . While you can buy freeze dried foods online , I like knowing exactly what is in my food . As mentioned , lots of good sites and groups on YouTube and social media .
    I would say to keep track and log all related info of each batch .( Pre-frozen , weight of each tray , etc.) It is nice having the reference to look back on . You will know when to start a batch so it won`t get done in the middle of the night .

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Also, don’t forget at about candy, and sweet treats.

I’m currently off of carbs, but great for gifts, parties, and if you have a market for it, super profit margin on candy.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It's great to see pictures of how this stuff works. I may have a freeze dryer in the future, but it's a ways off for sure.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    What size Harvest Right would suffice for 2 people? I was thinking Medium.
    We already have a chamber vacuum sealer that does a lot of work for us in food storage.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I wish the prices on freeze dryers would come down. I bought freeze dried ice cream once. It was a novelity thing somewhere (can't recall). The wrapper read "just like the astronuats" eat. It was sold right next to the sour cream and onion flavored crickets.

Top Bottom