• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    a walk in freezer that I was borrowing part of just died. They did not maintain an independent temperature monitoring system even when I offered to buy it. Found it when some of the items were thawed out.

My home freezers are monitored. Get something that will alert you if the temperature goes out of range.

I don’t profit by sharing what I use - but both my wife and I get emails and texts when a freezer alarm gets triggered. Cheap insurance

Two freezers and a hub that you connect to your home internet. My sensors are 400 feet away from the hub and have zero issues getting readings. When I talked with the head support person he said they can go to 1000 feet if clear sight.

Please. Please. Please get a system (there are lots of them out there) to monitor your freezers. You can use these for other things as well ( greenshouse, incubators, whatever).

This is what I use. Easy and cheap.

Again, I do not benefit. Just get something.

Yes, I know this involves China. Frankly I don’t care if the world knows the temps of my freezers. Rather not, but if I don’t lose Thousands jn meat- Then so what. Only passive monitoring.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    How do you know the hub isn’t monitoring your wifi network? Probably a lot more going on there than just freezer temps!
    One can segregate their iOT devices if you have concerns. That said, unless you have full supply chain control, kind of hard to guarantee you don't have a device with some rogue firmware, etc, but I get your point. Some security is warranted, including potentially having a separate network for these types of devices and not having more valuable resources on that particular network, especially not discoverable, etc.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I use these. They work great. It texts and emails me when something fails.

Amazon product ASIN B008ANTGMM
    At home, I monitor power (using a relay) fridge/freezer door postitions (one is in a seldom visited part of the house and kids used to leave the door open)

At my office in my data center, I use one to remotely fire up backup AC. I monitor AC output temps, room temps, etc. If the room gets too hot it throws a relay which powers up a portable AC unit to keep my servers from melting.

ETA: if anyone wants to order these, be careful. this unit comes with NO sensors because there are so many options. Each sensor is ordered separately. I'll be happy to help you order what you need.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and the Sensaphone devices are built in the USA. not likely to phone home and exfiltrate network data.

Top Bottom